Fix early start bug for TRVs / vroege start met thermostaatknoppen werkt niet

Please fix the early start functionality for TRVs. This function is not working for more than 3 years now!

When the early start is enabled the room reaches the target temperature hours too early. Tado ignores this error since 2016 and states it has low priority. On their website they still claim this a a feature.

After complaining about this on tweakers.nl (a Dutch tech-forum) the answer was: please make a topic on our forum as we do not see any complaints there.

So please; if you experience issues with the early-start on TRVs please leave a note below as a kind reminder to Tado.

Thanks!

40 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Should be known with them though: https://www.reddit.com/r/tado/comments/9thbl4/how_early_is_early/
  • I'm pretty sure they are aware. But they just keep ignoring it :-)

• I have the same issue. Promissed that this would be fixed in 2017. Still no fix :(

• Please fix this indeed!
  • Same here, useless when the Smart Radiator Thermostat is waking up the kid at 4.30 in the morning..

• We are new to this system and found the same thing. Heating starts anywhere between 4 and 5 in the morning to heat up for a 7 o'clock target temperature. I reaches that temperature consistently 1-2 hours before target. A 'smart algorithm' is supposed to control this, but we see no improvement.

Support has now tweaked 'something in our account' - which doesn't sound too re-assuring for the 'smart algorithm' functionality.

We chose Tado over competitors hoping that this pure-player would ensure development of functionalities continuously - rather than renowned brands like Honeywell or Bosch - who are more likely to get sidetracked with new heating hardware in other parts of their business. If we would have known that basic functionalities like these are not resolved for years now, that makes me seriously doubt or choice.

(Better yet: we have a whole system of TVR's to be installed shortly, over and above the thermostat we have now... second guessing that plan as we speak!)

• checking in to report the same issue. Even my 10+ year old chronoterm modulation is better in doing this job!

• Same issue here......and it is costing me an extra £15 per week in oil.

• I've been running this system with 6 TRVs for a couple of months now and have the same issue. Reaches target temperature sometimes upwards of 2 hours prior to scheduled time when Early Start is enabled.

I was encouraged by a comment here, and another on the Reddit post, which suggested Tado support could 'tweak' something from their end to improve this on an individual basis. However when I contacted them the response was that "the Early Start feature is not intended for use with TRV's, only for systems with a single Smart Thermostat".

Not great, as it seems to me the feature could still be useful with TRV's if it were to work properly (and learn). However if it is the position that it's not designed for use with TRV's then this should be made pretty clear in the app and in any documentation. It's not mentioned anywhere that I can see.

• Early start comes on far too early for my smart radiator valves. Like others on this forum, 3 and a half hours in advance, when it takes only 45mins to reach the target temperature.

Complained to tado 4 months ago, and instead of admitting their system was broken they made changes to my trvs that reduced the sensitivity of the devices, so causing worse problems. Had to complain again to get them to revert back. In the end all trvs now have early start disabled.

Waste of gas.

Very poor, tado.
  • Seconded, this is terrible
  • Seconded. My understanding is that Tado is a learning system but I saw no improvement in this feature so turned it off.
  • I have the same issue so I have switched off the early start feature and just set the schedule 30 minutes earlier.