Website maintenance scheduled June 18-21.

Difficulties accessing portions of the community or navigating certain sections may occur.

Basic or Smart Radiator Thermostat?

Options

Just wanted to confirm something…..

If I have a Room Thermostat, whether wired or wireless, am I right in thinking its not worth going for the Smart TRV over the BASIC TRV as the room thermostat would sense both the temperature and humidity levels?

Answers

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, that's correct

Personally, I think Tado should take it further with a TRV that has no sensors or manual adjustment capability that is designed to be used with a Smart Thermostat of Temp Sensor. This could reduce the cost of the TRV further

• SteveIreland
    Options

Thanks for confirming, I was pretty sure but wanted to be certain as Amazon have just reduced the single BASIC TRV to just under £50. I'm going to move the SMART TRVs to rooms without Room Thermostats and put these BASIC ones in room with Room Thermostats. I control everything from the app anyway, so I'm not fussed over the lack of precise adjustment on the TRV itself.

Interesting thought about an even more basic TRV. I wonder though if its a choice between a BASIC TRV at say £65 or one without any manual adjustment at say £55, would many people buy the even more basic version really? I should imagine they would be useful for households that have kids that constantly turn up their radiators to max!

• FFM
    Options

You can child-lock the Tado TRV…

• SteveIreland
    Options

I think the point was that a unadjustable TRV would negate the need for Child Lock, which, along with no sensors and no manual adjustment would make such a device cheaper than the current offerings.

• SteveIreland
    Options

@davidlyall I just fitted two BASIC TRVs. The odd thing is, they are both showing Temperature and Humidity levels, so these TRVs do have humidity sensors. So my guess is that Tado simply program Air Comfort out of these TRVs otherwise everyone would use the BASIC over the SMART version.

Anyway, at some point I will move the BASICs over to the rooms with Room Thermostats, so then it will all work anyway 👍️