Home Suggestions, Ideas and Improvements

Hot Water Temperature Control

Yep, I have open loop, ON/OFF control of my hot water from Tado, I sort of have temperature control via the bimetallic thermostat.

Why not accurate specific temperature control using a thermocouple?

I could set a specific temperature, within safe bands, all the existing algorithms within Tado could be adapted; ‘away’ mode, weather adaptation time to heat etc...
We could even get really clever, rather than heat to >65DegC everyday to avoid microbiological growth, we could do it less often, perhaps weekly. How much money and energy would that save, whilst maintaining safe bug free hot water?
1 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• I am not a plumber but I believe the following applies.

All the hot water tanks I have seen have had a local temperature sensor on which you set the target temperature. These then send a simple satisfied (or not) signal back to the boiler. These are purely analogue devices and totally dumb.

Other than sending a signal to the boiler to say they have reached the target temperature you would configure them to ensure the hot water is not too hot to avoid the risk of scalding.

Typically you would only heat up the hot water once or twice a day (via a separate timer programmer) and rely on the hot water tank being sufficiently big and sufficiently well insulated to last in between.

I can certainly see the logic to what you suggest and perhaps if plumbing was being 'invented' today your suggestion would be the approach used.

Note: The Tado Extension unit would in this case receive the signal from the above mentioned hot water tank sensor and use that to determine whether to turn on the boiler.

Also if rather than the above which assumes you have a separate hot water tank you actually have a 'combination' boiler then this does not apply at all as hot water is heated in real time when you turn on a tap.