How can I use Tado valves on all radiators?

I just installed the Tado V3+ starter kit with a single radiator valve to try out the system. My plan is to go for a couple more rooms next and then if all is well the whole house:

Boiler: Potterton Powermax HE Store - boiler with built in hot water tank. Timer for heating and hot water on the front of the boiler.

Hall: simple dial thermostat on the wall (no timer), radiator with no TRV

Other rooms: 14 additional radiators with TRVs (lounge and master bedroom have 2 each)

I have seen questions raised about if it's possible/safe to have Tado valves on every single radiator, but ideally I would like to achieve that. (For example this topic: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/2555/is-there-a-scenario-where-the-boiler-will-fire-with-all-trvs-closed.)

My only point of reference is my last house which had Honeywell Evohome. The system was professionally installed and had a controller wired to the boiler. If one or more of the TRVs wanted heat, the boiler came on. If none of them wanted heat, the boiler switched off. There was no central or room thermostat, just the ones on the radiators (7 in total).

How can I get this behaviour with Tado?

I don't mind paying the local plumbing firm to wire something up to the boiler - but what, and will it be compatible? The Extension Kit comes to mind, will it work here and ensure the boiler only comes on when needed?

Alternatively, will installing a thermostat in the hall help? I'm wondering if replacing the hard-wired dial thermostat with the Tado thermostat will ensure that the boiler only switches on if at least one radiator is calling for heat. I don't actually need a thermostat in the hall otherwise - the TRV one will suffice.

Also, as there is no TRV on the radiator at all in the hall, can one be fitted or do I need a new radiator? If I understand correctly, the thing Tado supplies is really just the head that pushes down on a pin in the valve that's already on the radiator. My hall radiator has a white cap on each end but when I take these off there's no pin to push down.

What I really do want is for the hall radiator not to be constantly on as it is now - it's next to the front door and if the adjoining rooms are set to 22, I'd be happy to have the hall at 20.

In short - once all the other 14 radiators have TRVs, to finish the job: Extension Kit, wall thermostat or live with an over-heated hall?

Best Answers

Answers

• I forgot to add: I see mention of a bypass valve in my boiler. Do I need one? If so, how do I know if I have one and can one be retrofitted?

• samdsamd ✭✭✭

@fazy - bypass is nothing to do with tado. You may need a bypass valve if your boiler requires it. Alternative is to have one rad permanently open i.e no trv. One could be retrofitted . Example

• Thanks for such quick and helpful answers.

Regarding the bypass valve, I'll call in the plumbers and have a chat. The system already had 14 TRVs when I moved in with the hall radiator permanently on so I hope it's at least safe to replace some of the TRVs.

I didn't know about the 10 room limit and will change my plans because of that. If I have to group unrelated rooms together and have a sub-optimal schedule, I think I'd rather just keep the existing simple TRVs and have partial automation. No reason to pay £50-60 for a device with such limitations.

I have 13 rooms, only 2 of them have 2 radiators:

Living room x 2

Dining room

Hall

Downstairs w/c

Kitchen

Utility room

Landing

Master bedroom x 2

Bedroom 2

Bedroom 3

Bedroom 4

En suite

Bathroom

Currently I have one Tado in the dining room with a pack of 4 on order (although I could cancel): Dining room, Master bedroom x2, Living room x 2.

I was then going to add the other bedrooms and the kitchen (another 4-pack). Then the bathrooms (2 pack, horizontal), downstairs w/c and utility room.

Now I have to miss out 3 rooms - the downstairs w/c is in the centre of the ground floor and never gets cold. The utility room doesn't need to be warm anyway so I just keep the current TRV on a low setting and it stays around 18-20. Missing out more rooms beyond that is really going to take the fun out of having this expensive system.

To be honest the only reason I didn't go with Honeywell Evohome again is that the system has been on the market for five years and I didn't fancy investing only to find it gets superseded a couple of years later.

So one option is just to keep a minimal Tado setup and wait to see what improvements Tado or other manufacturers bring. I was expecting to make a 10-year investment but if it's under £500 I can review in 5 years. So that would be: Dining room, Living room, 2 bedrooms, kitchen and everything else on the old TRVs. Maybe I'll get a TRV for the hall but it doesn't need to be a smart one.

A shame, but I guess Tado isn't big enough yet.

• You could group the master bedroom and en-suite as they are likely to need heating at the same time. Similarly you could group other bedrooms if the occupants retire/rise at the same time.

Alternatively don’t put smart TRVs on the smallest radiators. Better to control those big double panel radiators that use a lot more energy.

• I could possibly group the en suite and bedroom but still leaves me short of a couple of rooms. I agree with using it on the biggest radiators - I'll get most of the benefits for a much lower cost - and at least this way if the Internet connection fails, the whole house won't be freezing cold.

• @fazy

You could group the hall and landing, they are connected by the staircase so heat will flow from the hall to the landing anyway.

I agree with grouping the ensuite with the bedroom.

Presuming the Kitchen and Utility room are adjacent they also could be grouped.

That I think would get you down to 11, personally I would also not bother with one for the downstairs W/C which then gets you down to 10.

There is a feature request to increase the room limit as per the link below. I suggest you and other interested parties vote it up.