Home Suggestions, Ideas and Improvements

Open/close radiator valves gradually

I went with tado in my new home even though the Honeywell Evohome in my last house was quite effective.

One big difference I noticed is that tado is very heavy-handed with the valves. Most of the time it seems to open them fully (pin not pressed down at all, radiator gets very hot) or close them fully (pin pressed all the way down, radiator cools completely after a while).

I also noticed that my old Honeywell valves would make small adjustments and keep opening the valve until it had the desired effect of raising the temperature - although if I asked for a big increase in heat, it would open fully straight away.

Can tado do the same?

(Sorry to mention Honeywell in my posts, but it has good reviews and I lived with it successfully for about 5 years; I honestly can't decide whether to put my 5 tado valves on eBay and if so whether to switch back to Honeywell or just put on the non-smart valves that came with the house.)

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• You got my support. Also miss that option
  • I emailed support about this. Most of the rads in my house are small, but one of the living room ones must be designed for when the temperature drops below -20°C and otherwise probably never needs to be fully open.

Support asked for the serial number of the valve, and then said they'd made adjustments. I replied asking what adjustments they had made, and they never got back to me.

I have to admit I'm really not happy that support are poking around with settings that are opaque to me and then not even explaining what they've done, despite being specifically asked. Do these people not realise that it is MY home and MY heating system that they are dealing with?

Total lack of empathy and respect.

Also totally useless - I still have the problem of the radiator valve opening up too much and heating the room faster than I need or want.

If anyone at Tado is reading this, perhaps you can explain what settings are available to support with respect to how far a specific radiator valve is opened. Is there some toggle setting of normal/gentle, some kind of scale, or is it just that the radiator valve does some learning and support reset the stats to see if it calibrates better the second time?

• What you probably need to ensure is that your heating system is balanced properly. Might be hard if a radiator is so oversized. You could end up needing to reduce the size of that rad as I imagine even if the valve closes, the rad has so much heat retained that the room will keep heating beyond the set temp

The TRVs do open/close in small increments. You can hear them doing it and on the app it shows as the 3 different heating levels demanded

Unfortunately it appears the TRVs do not learn. This is a serious misrepresentation from Tado as their website suggests that the system is a learning one but only the Smart Thermostat does that.

• I'm having issues getting a straight answer from TADO customer care as they are only available via email, not even "chat".

I have an issue with this radiator "machine gun" noise on 3 of 10 radiators and they keep giving me different, non-specific answers.

it's like a hammering sound on the thermostatic valve.

• hi DAvidlyall

If tado misrepresents something on their website, worth escalating?

"Unfortunately it appears the TRVs do not learn. This is a serious misrepresentation from Tado as their website suggests that the system is a learning one but only the Smart Thermostat does that."