Home Suggestions, Ideas and Improvements

Split radiator valve into 2 devices for convenience and for underfloor heating systems

By splitting the existing radiator thermostat into 2 separate parts: valve and room thermometer/controller you'd get a device that can be used with traditional radiators as well as with underfloor heating systems.

In traditional systems the controller (thermometer+display+temperature knob/buttons) can be placed in a convenient spot rather than on the radiator.

In underfloor heating systems valve is physically in a different room so current radiator valves can not be used but split devices could. The underfloor heating systems (water, not electric) has multiple valves, controlling multiple rooms, attached to a manifold, usually in a boiler room, so measuring the temperature there doesn't work.

3 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Very similar to https://tado.vanillacommunities.com/en-gb/discussion/459/launch-an-external-temperature-sensor-for-the-smart-radiator-thermostats/p1

The only difference is that I would put the display and controls into the sensor.

• But they already have the Smart Thermostat which does this, or do I not understand the request?
    I use a Smart Thermostat to control the under floor heating in my kitchen. It is on the wall in the kitchen and the contacts connect to the valve/ pump for it that is in the cupboard upstairs. The wireless signal controls the boiler extension to switch that on at the same time.
  • There are several issues. The first is price - smart thermostat is simply too expensive. The second is technical - you can't have multiple smart thermostats as far as I can tell. Third is controlling multiple valves for multiple rooms - the valves have to open and close independently while the pump and the boiler is on.

One possible option would be using 2 radiator thermostats, one attached to the manifold in the boiler room, another just sitting in the heated room, not attached to anything. But that's expensive and wasteful because it requires 2 devices and uses a half of each.

• samdsamd ✭✭✭

@Tomek - you said:

you can't have multiple smart thermostats as far as I can tell

I have 2 smart thermostats - one for boiler-control and it also is measuring device for two rads in the kitchen and the second is purely measuring device for two rads in Lounge.

Third is controlling multiple valves for multiple rooms - the valves have to open and close independently while the pump and the boiler is on.

Are ALL your tado devices able to call heat regardless of the boiler-controller?

• > you can't have multiple smart thermostats as far as I can tell

I have 2 smart thermostats

I didn't know that works, thanks!

Are ALL your tado devices able to call heat regardless of the boiler-controller?

You lost me. Assuming I have a radiator valve attached to underfloor heating manifold in the (warm) bolier room and the smart thermostat in the cold target room, how do I set up the system so that it reads temperature of the smart thermostat, not the radiator valve, but opens the radiator valve and turns on the heating?

• Oh, never mind that, I made a quick check and there's a hidden device selection. It becomes visible only when there are multiple devices in the same room.