Local API

Add an API server to the internet bridge (even if it requires newer, more powerful hardware) that supports controlling devices within the local network. Philips Hue provide a great example of how it can be achieved.

My justification is twofold.

Firstly, a local API can be accessed in the event of my internet going down. Ideally the app would be able to detect the internet bridge using something like mDNS. Alternatively its IP can be specified or its "last known" private IP used - this would not be perfect in most cases, but gives options.

Secondly, my main concern when it comes to large investments in smart home is longevity. I do not want to have to shell out for a new heating system anywhere near the frequency I do for a new phone (or even TV or laptop). At some point maintaining support for old hardware will become problematic for Tado - just look at what is currently going on with Sonos and they've been relatively kind in the longevity of their support. A local API would allow owners to continue to use their products in the event that cloud support ends. It would have reduced functionality, but I as the owner would still be able to make the call as to whether I feel it worthwhile to re-invest - and create a whole load more e-waste in the process.

71 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• HGB
    HGB ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Great idea, should have been implemented long ago. Do you mind if I copy it to the Dutch community? Or could you post it there yourself?

• A local connection to the hub would be great. I currently use a Homey to integrate door and window sensors for precise open window detection plus individual presence detection, etc. That is great and works well provided the internet connection is working.
  • itavero
    itavero
    edited May 2020

You could probably use the HomeKit API (if your bridge is new enough) via the HomeKit Controller component in Home Assistant, for instance.

Of course, a dedicated, well documented, open/public API would be better. 😉

(PS: besides being an Apple user, the local control is one of the reason I'm a fan of HomeKit)

• I'd also like to throw in the occasional "security" point of view.

As you already pointed out, maintaining old hardware is a problem for every company especially from a security point of view. If a local API exist the Phone app could still be capable of connecting locally but access from the internet can be blocked (or non applicable), when security issues with certain EOL hardware arise (or if the user preferred it only being accessible within the same network!)

• WelshTony1
    edited March 2022
    It's been over a year since this post and it's still needed. Just recently Tado went offline and my house was freezing cold.
    Tado hasn't even made a twitter post explaining the downtime nevermind anything official.

We will happily buy a new bridge, just allow us to do this in our own enviroment (homes) without the need for cloud control.

This has happened a few times now and it has put me off buying more tado products. I am even considering moving away from Tado, I have a family to think of and when my heating is determinded on server uptime that is not a good thing
  • Modify system for local operation and scheduling. I have always been concerned about needing Internet and remote server availability in order to control systems in my own home but due to a need to set individual room temperatures I took the leap with Tado. Unfortunately my fears have now been realised and having run a conventional system for years with no problems, I have had three occasions in less than three months where Tado have had to correct a fault that prevented me accessing my own system.

• Please search the forum for these already requested feature changes.......and add your vote to an already active request.
  • Toby
    Toby ✭✭

Its been a very long time since I requested this. As far as I'm aware its still not fully available from Tado directly. However, I recently switched my home automation over to HomeKit and it appears to be somewhat of a workaround. How useful it is as a workaround depends on how you intend to work with your devices locally. The best solution would be for the tado app to work locally if it can discover the hub on your network, but that doesn't look like it'll be coming any time soon. So onto the options:

1) HomeKit only: you happen to use homekit already, you're in luck. I tested by blocking the tado hub from the internet and it continued to work when I updated via the Home app - if I tried to update via the Tado app it failed to.

2) HomeKit + Home Assistant: I haven't tested this, but there is a Home Assistant plugin for homekit. It might need an apple device for initial setup, but in theory this would allow controlling locally from a non-Apple device.

3) HomeKit Reverse Engineering: technically tado do have a local API, it just happens to be HomeKit Accessory Protocol (HAP). It has even already been reverse engineered and built into Homebridge - using the following https://github.com/homebridge/HAP-NodeJS. The author did document how the protocol worked, but Apple DMCA'd them and he removed it. Handily Homebridge has intergrations with Google Home so you can interact with devices using Google Assistant.

Is it perfect? No. There are work arounds - specifically if you're not in the Apple ecosystem. It is also impossible to tell what future changes to Homekit would mean for its viability. But it at least works for now!

• +1 for me it's must have and functionality show manufacturer build device for long time