Open window detection not working

Options
Hi
Open window detection has stopped working.
It seemed to work 2 times. Is there a way to trouble shoot this issue? And open window detection is enabled.
Also is there a way to keep the heat off for a day if I forget to close a window In the basement?

Comments

• Scorton
    Options
    I am sure open window worked for me last year but this year seems to not be working ??
  • kkupe
    Options

It works rarely for me. Only worked when I set an offset. It was false positive :)

• Niels
    Options

I have indeed experienced a couple of false positives (window closed, but notification) and have recently adhered to Tado's recommendation (in 'air quality') to open the windows a few times for fresh air to come in.

I expect the notification (open window detected) to come up when I do this. Nothing whatsoever...

How does the open windows detection work? And how do I (/you Tado?) make it work better? Currently this feature is not working for me the way it should.

(as is the feature for 'early heating', which required manual intervention from one of the engineers, and the lack of 'parental locks' on the TVRs).

• Niels
    Options

Just one day after the message above: a correct notification! Finally!

Also (incidentally?) this happened after an app update?

(where Tado finally allowed a user-switch to enable/disable home-mode! Thanks Tado!)

• Veneficus
    Options
    Same here. I was very happy about the accuracy during the first few days. Now I have a window wide open right above the radiator, with around 3 degrees outside, and it doesn't register anything. So also the air quality indicator gets way off.
  • cortana
    cortana ✭✭✭
    Options

The "window open detection" is unfortunately dependent on many factors. Unfortunately, this does not work reliably.

In order to achieve maximum reliability, you absolutely need a radiator thermostat in connection with a room thermostat.

Then it is important that the thermostats are not in an area with a draft. If the difference between outside and inside temperature is too small, then it no longer works properly.

The solution at this point would be a real window sensor.

• Kev3927
    Options
    I too am experiencing issues with the Open Window Detection but it appears that Tado are not answering peoples queries? Why? And what is being done to mitigate the issue? We have all spent hundreds of pounds, euros, dollars buying into a system which is fundamentally flawed with little or no resolution from the top.

An extremely excellent idea has been put forward in the community suggestions. That of linking Tado Smart stat to existing window sensors which would provide a positive open window signal.

Can this be implemented ASAP as the heating coming back on while trying to heat the house when windows are open in the current financial climate is reprehensible.
  • BOG73
    BOG73 ✭✭
    Options

There are so many things that works slow or inappropriate on Tado's software. At this point i am so close to send it to the rubbish bin and go for something else( maibe Honeywell)for the next cold season. My previous thermostat was from Salus(good and reliable but no remote access)....and only reason that i still keep Tado is the the fact that after 1 month of use i am still waiting for some tuning of the Tado software.

Tado is at 20% trust at this point and if nothing happened from their support i will trash it for good,money waisted for just issues and bad functionality.

Such a disappointing purchase was Tado!

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi all,
    The tado° "Open Window Detection" is a misrepresentation of it's actual functionality.
    It does not specifically "detect an open window"......it is a notification which is generated when the specific tado° device detects a "significant sharp drop" in temperature.
    This can be caused by cool air from a door or a through draft causing the device temperature sensor to register a "significant sharp drop" in the vicinity of the tado° device sensor.
    The terminology "Open Window Detected" is exactly that.....it's a convenient label that tado° has allocated to this feature.

For example......I open the back door to let my dog into the back garden......and I get an "Open Window Detected" notification from my Utility Room SRT. If the door is left open for a few minutes, then I'll get an "Open Window Detected" notification from my Kitchen SRT.
  • Rob2
    Rob2 ✭✭✭
    Options

It is a feature targeted at the German market and -culture.

Apparently there it is customary to open all the windows in the house for 15 minutes or half an hour every day, so there will be a big draft of cold fresh air. The Tado equipment detects that and shuts of the heating during that time.

In other places where e.g. bedroom windows are left open all day or all night, it does not work because there will be no more sharp temperature drop. To make it work well under all circumstances it would require room opening sensors to be made available for the Tado network. Or alternatively, when you already have such sensors as part of a IoT connected alarm system or home automation system, they could possibly be linked to the Tado system using one of those home automation action apps (IFTTT etc).

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options

@Franck1982 To summarize. If you are looking for a reliable "Open Window Detection" function you must look elsewhere, at least for the time being as tado° doesn't (sadly) offer additional sensors etc.

The clock is ticking, some interesting Zigbee thermostats are coming with automatic temperature adjustment and window-open detection supported with temperature and humidity sensors and door and window sensors.

Now, waiting for new devices from tado°

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

@Franck1982 To summarize. If you are looking for a reliable "Open Window Detection" function you must look elsewhere, at least for the time being as tado° doesn't (sadly) offer additional sensors etc.

The clock is ticking, some interesting Zigbee thermostats are coming with automatic temperature adjustment and window-open detection supported with temperature and humidity sensors and door and window sensors.

No more false readings!

Competition is increasing, now, waiting for new devices from tado°

• Hansen
    Options
    Didn't work either.
    I just made a test, leaving my four Tado thermostats in the house open, while I opened several doors and windows for letting in fresh air for 15 minutes.
    NO ' window detection' what so ever. Tado just kept pouring out heat into the radiators the whole time.
    Strange, it did work last winter.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    I very very occasionally get open window notifications but it’s a rarity, perhaps because I don’t heat my house to a high temperature.
  • Rosko89
    Options
    Another let down here. I definitely trembler it working last winter but tonight I noticed a window wide open above the radiator and no notification whatsoever.
  • srichards
    Options

It's random. I had one when I'd been hoovering the stairs by the Tado main unit. I assume the temperature variation baffled it so it declared an open window. All windows remained closed.

I put a piece of card between a radiator and the SRT and that set it off.

When I open an actual window it doesn't generally notice. I have trickle vents that on windy days let an arctic blast through if they're open. SRT generally doesn't notice.

It's another thing that is broken.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

@srichards tado° simply doesn't record a significant temperature change, hence no alarm. This function isn't something that users should really rely on.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@rafm5

I understand what you are saying......but......it's not RIGHT for tado° to " sell it " to prospective customers as a feature that it clearly isn't.........it's not "OPEN WINDOW DETECTION".......it never was and never will be.......it's purely a sales gimmick .

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options

@GrayDav4276 It's a big 'overstatement' for many manufactures, not just tado° but technically they can call it what they want.

Similar to these 'smart' called devices that die if can't connect to the cloud. My definition of being 'smart' is bit different... (⌐ ͡■ ͜ʖ ͡■)

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    It simply doesn't work as tado° implies.....it's definitely a misrepresentation of its actual function.
  • luteijn
    Options
    It can detect open windows (just not all cases or reliably...). It also has the bonus feature of detecting open doors to hallways, colder rooms, etc. I've turned it off, like most of the 'smart' functions.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Not in a house with low insulation! About the only time I can get it to think there’s an open window is if I pick up the wireless temperature sensor for a few minutes then put it down. I think it may have worked correctly a couple of times in the summer.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options

@luteijn

As I commented in my earlier post.....

" it's not "OPEN WINDOW DETECTION ".........that's just a convenient name that tado° has given this feature.

@johnnyp78

as I'm sure you know......your "activation" is caused by the heat gained from your hand contacting the device and then dissipating from the device........unless tado° considers it's users as "Open Doors".....😎😂

• luteijn
    Options
    Maybe I should have added some sort of irony marker? :)
    I still think the controls, sensors and actuators should be separated, and having them all combined on the trv is a compromise. Unfortunately, setting it up like that makes tado 3x as expensive, and it is already so expensive because of we're buying a cloud service membership, instead of just some hardware.
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    @luteijn
    "Irony".....now it makes sense 😎👍🤣
  • It’s an embarrassing state of affairs, if engineers at tado cannot create an ‘open window’ sensor and link it to their system. The sensing of a ‘drastic change in temperature’ is seemingly not the practical answer. In the interim a simple ‘window open/close’ device would help tado to improve its own customer value add services. More so leading it to a reliable heating/cooling eco-system. Love to see tado taking action. Groetjes uit Breda.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

@TeteringeN I don't think it is about engineers not being able to develop a sensor, it is more what's sustainable for the business. Investing into the existing infrastructure doesn't make a sense, its outdated and not future proof. Hope V4 devices will improve things!