Why is Tado overheating?

Room temp is 22.7°, target temp is 22.2°, yet Tado still turns the boiler on often. Why?

(First day of Tado, simple setup with room thermostat only)

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Muesli Half a degree doesn't seem at all unusual. Does it move an higher than that?

• Mine goes to 22.7 when it's set to 21...
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Mansell Does it stay that far out or go to 22.7 and then flatten out?

• Mansell
    Mansell
    edited January 2020
    @samd it goes down to the required temperature. Until it starts heating again he over shoots again. The wierd thing is that one day its goes good temperature wise and an other day he overshoot like crazy...

Can you upload pictures here?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Mansell I've seen images on here - try copy and paste?

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this April 2019 post by support is still extant but it may help understand these issues.

Hi,

I think there are a few misunderstandings that I wish to address here.

1. The devices are not constantly in communication, they only report in every 20-40 minutes unless something special happens (e.g. Open Window Detection)
    2. As such, if a device has its batteries removed, the system will assume it is still online until +/- 30 minutes go by without the thermostat reporting in, even if a device is polled for temperature information (for example) and it doesn't respond immediately.
    3. We are looking into changing this behaviour to give a more accurate representation of the actual state.
    4. The calibration is only triggered once after a reset (e.g. removing/replacing the batteries). If the Smart Radiator Thermostat is removed from the mounting-bracket, it will not (at this stage) report as unmounted or re-trigger the calibration. Again, this is something which we are looking into.

Best regards,

Frank

• I swapped batteries and reset the button for three seconds. The thermostat is showing a spanner symbol. App says it has connected to the server but above continue installation it says device not mounted in red?

• Mine over heats too. Today the room hit the desired temperature, and an hour and a half later it's still heating.

About an hour after hitting target temperature it dropped from three flames to two in the graig, but kept heating away. Still hasn't stopped after 90 mins, though its just dropped to one flame. It's not half a degree over, but that's 90 mins of heating it didn't need to use.
  • am new to this tado heating, and mine set to 22 and its still heating room up passing 25 . not really smart this tado heating system
  • Yes, mine is the same. The target temperature for the smart thermostat is 22deg, it reads 26deg, but every so often the boiler switches on and heats the radiators. Not very smart!

• Hey all,

I did not want to revive an old one, but this is getting annoying!

Generally, the Tado system works just fine most of the days, but there are some days it goes viral and does what it wants tuns on the heating or overheats. Maybe I do not understand how the system works but seems to me that individual thermostats in the rooms can sometimes override the Heating switch?

Heating is set to 20.0, all room thermostats set to 20.0 or below, 19.5 etc. yesterday heating went over 22.3 until I shut off manually all (Turn OFF all rooms ):

Upper floor where all the thermostats the temperature is always up with a few degrees from the reception room:

Smart Thermostat RU3802334720 - Heating central control - reception room ground floor.

This is the coldest room in the house, with the largest radiator, with no thermostat installed always ON when hearing is on ( act as as a bypass as well ). 

Bedroom 1 - upper floor VA01 Smart Radiator Thermostat VA4142401024

Evas Room 3 - upper floor VA01 Smart Radiator Thermostat VA1045825024

Nias Room 2 - upper floor VA02 Smart Radiator Thermostat VA0916859648

Bathroom - upper floor VA01 Smart Radiator Thermostat VA4259841536

HOT WATER CONTROL: Hot Water/Extension Kit

OTHER DEVICES

BU01: Extension Kit: BU2482308608

IB01: Internet Bridge: IB2063336960

There is no clear indication of why the system is keep heating on when you look at the app?

Can anyone from the Tado team elaborate on that? It looks like a thermostat Nias Room 2 - upper floor VA02 Smart Radiator Thermostat - was calling for heat all day long?

Cheers,

• @mveplus wall thermostats do not have priority over radiator valves. If a radiator valve is requesting heat from a zone controller (the wall thermostat in the reception) then the heating system will switch on.

The room labelled Niah was heating for 6+ hours with minimal increase in temperature. If the radiator in this room is hot all over then it’s likely to be undersized. If the radiator is not as hot as others then there may be any issue with the flow of hot water to that particular radiator.

You could turn down the heat output from the reception radiator, or fit it with its own smart valve to limit the temperature. If this radiator is a bypass then that won’t be possible.

You could make the radiator valve in room Niah independent of the zone controller so that it does not call for heat. The room will still heat up when other rooms are calling for heat, but it may never reach its target temperature.