[Released] Child lock

Comments

• jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

My 7-month-old has worked out how to turn the dial. Where is this child lock Tado??

I know you can change the manual time to 1 min, but this isn't at all adequate:

• It breaks HomeKit support, as then any temperature change initated by Siri or in the Home app/widget only applies for 1 minute as well.
    • It takes a matter of seconds for the pipes to get hot enough to burn a child. I've tested this. So even only allowing it to turn on for 1 minute could cause some serious harm.

Might have to try the sellotape hack, but concerned about the adhesive making a mess of the valves when I try to remove it at some point in the future.

This is a child safety issue Tado, please get onto it.

• jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any better ideas than sellotape? i.e. something that is less likely to leave a resudue behind if I remove it in the few months.

• RJH
    RJH
    edited March 2020

Why is this obvious feature missing?

• andriesdl
    andriesdl
    edited March 2020

+1 on absolutely needing this feature!

This seems like such a simple thing to implement, that seems like it would take maybe one day: a simple checkbox in the settings somewhere, and an one if-then-else statement in the code that allows the manual control from the radiator thermostats.

It blows my mind that with so many people needing this feature, and probably a lot more that haven't stumbled upon this thread yet, this hasn't been implemented yet.

• Hi all
    Given the timeframe it seems that this feature is never going to appear despite as everyone points out, it should be a priority.
    I was initially advised to do the one minute thing but found a flaw in the plan. If you use the app to manually set a radiator and the child then spins the dial it will remain at this new temperature as long as the app is set to manual which could be “until ended by user”.
    When I pointed this out I was offered another solution which they don’t seem to publicise. They can completely disable the manual dial on a trv from the back end system. So if you don’t ever use the manual dial on the valve itself then the safest way is to get them to disable the dial.
    This is what I have done with all of mine.
  • If they can disable it from the back end. Then why can't we do it from the app?
  • jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭

There seems to have been a recent push with new additions to the app. From months without any significant changes, we suddenly have a manual home/away option and the return of the heating level indicator.

So I really don't think it will be long until we see a child lock option in the app, especially as it sounds like this is possible in their backend already.

• jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭

I just asked Tado if they could disable mine in the backend, and was told by two different representatives that this wasn't possible :(

• Jcwacky - well that is ridiculous as I can guarantee that they were able and quite happy to disable mine and have done so since as additional devices were added.
    So unless their system has changed in some way since making it impossible. But mine are STILL disabled.
  • jcwacky
    jcwacky ✭✭✭

@JonW I just had this response from Tado, when I mentioned that another user reported it had been done for them:

Indeed we used to have that practice in earlier stages of the Smart Radiator Thermostats. However, it proved not to be the most accurate practice or solution, and hence we had to stop it.

Unfortunately, we cannot offer you such 'tweak' anymore.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@jcwacky Strange reply - 'not to be the most accurate practice'?? How can that be?

• Still not implemented? It's been a year now...

• Bumping this one! Very important feature indeed. We should be able to program child locks on certain tado devices.

For now I had some Gaffa tap around the radiator valve and that worked for a while. but kids grow up and learn how to undo that...

C'mon Tado, this one shouldn't be too hard to implement :) Thanks in advance!

• It must be very simple to implement this feature. Please prioritize it tado.
  • Chapstar37
    Chapstar37 ✭✭✭

There is one way to force Tado to incorporate this feature.

1. Get an MP to champion a change of legislation based on:

Inadvertant turning of the dial results in activation of the boiler - which could:

a: Increase likelihood of injury if water temperature is set too high.

b: Increase heating costs to the end user which contradicts the claims made by the manufacturer.

c. Increase fuel use - which is not ecologically sound, and contradicts the claims made by the manufacturer that this system contributes to a greener enviromenment.

Energy companies like OVO have championed TADO - they also have a bit of clout.

in the end - you shouldn't have to stick things to your new valve actuators or have them disabled remotely, necessitating manufacturer support to restore functionality at some point. (especially as they are stating the "tweak" is no longer offered - so does that mean eventually they won't revert those that were tweaked as they weren't done in line with current policy?

• Had I known this feature lacked then I would not have bought it. I can't recommend Tado to anyone else before this feature is made public.

• Brendan
    Brendan
    edited June 2020

Unbelievable that this STILL has not been acknowledged by Tado. Especially as it's a danger to children.

• Would love to see this function in the next release. My 3yo just turned up the living room to 25 degrees, during our first heatwave this year...

So long polar bears...

• Tado we need this, curious little ones and tado do not mix and it makes me want to throw out the whole system! :'(
  • Really a must, this is just costing us money as we all from time to time experience unauthorised changes to the set temperature by our kids! Come on Tado, you promissed this, I and many others bought into Tado because of promises like this one.

• Can't believe this has been discussed for 2 years and still not implemented. Come on Tado! If people are having to shove bits of piping over the TRV to stop their kids burning themselves then this is a problem...

• AlphaUMi
    AlphaUMi
    edited August 2020
    Any news tado?

In the meantime, just slide your Dr. Brown silicone sleeve over the SRT.

https://i.imgur.com/5vV6mDJ.jpg
  • Silence is deafening.
    As a consequence my sister went with hive
  • @AlphaUMi That is a very creative solution! I will post it to the internal issue for our product managers.

@Chapstar37 I am sorry to hear that. Although we do not actively participate on a daily basis in the suggestions forum, be sure that summaries of feature requests are discussed with the product managers and the management team.

• @Jurian Good to hear you are listening, please don't think that Chapstar is the only person who you have lost because of this lack of feature though.

As someone who has invested a lot of money with yourselves and also has a 10 month old child I can tell you I am sick to death of the lack of child lock feature. So much so that I would advise people I know with young children to look at alternative setups. Its unfortunate as I like the system as a whole, especially since you listened to our feedback on manual over ride of home / away but the lack of child lock is ridiculous

• Hé Tado can you give us a status update?
  • @Matthijs_de_Jong Unfortunately it is our policy to not give any status updates about possible upcoming features until they are close to being released. Therefore, I do not have any status update for you.

The next upcoming software feature has been announced here:

Especially the "boiler activity" should be an interesting feature for our existing customers (see middle screen)

• Tado what the hell...can’t you implement such a simple but VITAL update ? Don’t you understand that’s about the safety of our family???? Incredible!!!
  • Please urgently provide a child lock software feature. Thus must be very simple and as many people have said the system is a safety hazard without it. I will not recommend Tado to anyone until this feature is included.