Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28CDi Compact compatibility

Options

Hi I am querying on the compatibility of the Tado Smart Thermastat - Starter Kit v3+ and weather I require the extension kit too

At the moment we are using the Worcester Wave 1st Gen (pic below from rear view). Which I find is dated and not that easy to use and doesn’t support HomeKit - which is one of my main reasons of upgrading and choosing Tado. Also my mum has difficulty understanding the Wave for some reason also, so Im hoping siri with homekit support has an easier app interface will make it a simpler solution for both of us.

From what I can tell is currently the Wave is hardlined into the boiler, it controls heating and water. If the internet is disconnected its an in-home only thermostat without access of remote controlling it nor getting outside temperatures etc. Do we have the correct wires to use with the starter kit thermostat or do we need the extention kit too? We don’t have a water tank as this is a combi-boiler which controls both.

So in the near future we may consider the Radiator Thermostats to make it multiroom.

Boiler make and model: Worcester Bosch Greenstar 28CDi Compact

I hope this is enough detail if someone could help while I wait for an email from Tado themselves.

Thanks

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@jamess109 Yes you will be fine. I too have a w-b CDI combi and you don't need the extension kit - you just leave the hot water on permanently or whatever you set it at the moment. Support will give you a simple guide to show you which wires go where. I had to buy a standard junction box just to tidy up the connections - you may not need one.

• jamess109
    Options
    Thank you that is good news that I don’t need the extension kit for general heating. Though I know with my Wave device it does control the water as it preheats with the radiator timers from the morning and evening shower times and manually turn hot water on and off. I just don’t want to waste lots of gas on keeping hot water on all time we have a small house and don’t want the boiler making noise constantly too. Would this be how it would work if I didn’t get an extension? Thanks again.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@jamess109 Sorry that I know nothing about the wave device but your w-b combi can be left in a permanently 'on' situation which means that it only fires up when any of your hot taps require it. In other words, your tado device only operates on the heating side of the boiler.

• jamess109
    Options
    @samd ah thank you that’s ok then I think the program mode I was talking about was a convenience thing anyway. Just to confirm two wires (brown and blue cable) from the boiler to thermostat is ok to connect to tado without the earth as I’ve seen some YouTube videos using earthing cable?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

@jamess109 I would hate to mislead you in anyway concerning your wiring requirements. You will get a set of clear instructions which are unique to your current wiring so, sorry but I cannot answer that.

• jamess109
    Options

Thank you samd you have been very helpful. I have checked the "professional" wiring instructions and thankfully I for my boiler I can use a 2 wire installation and from what I read I don't have to worry about a positive or negative connection either.