TRVs won’t grip. Guide says no adaptor needed.

Hi, installed my tado heating setup yesterday. Got extender, thermostat etc all up and working, started on the TRVs.

Old one, a pegler terrier ii came off easily enough and the new one seemed to screw on. But then I noticed that the instructions involved twisting and clicking, which of course secures the the two parts of the TRV. The value would just keep rotating around when I moved it and no click.

the underneath of the TRV that’s suppose to grip onto the metal hexagonal mount is wider than the one that comes with the radiator.

i couldn’t see how any of the adaptors provided could resolve that/

on here it says no adaptor needed. Am I doing something very obviously wrong?

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Gaz Hi - I am struggling to see what you mean by the hex mount.

Is this what you have?

• Yes. I can’t add pictures. The trv fits the ring and screws on but it doesn’t grip on anything once it’s screwed in. Unlike the one it replaces. Because it doesn’t grip when I turn it to click it into place it just keeps turning.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Gaz Does this help in anyway?

• Unfortunately not. The adapter seems to be for the slightly smaller rim. The metal part of the TRV screws on perfectly well. It just can’t grip the thing inside. The adapter is for slightly smaller metallic rims. So won’t fit on.

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Gaz OK understood. If you have pushed the plastic 'legs' of the tado trv as far as they will go AND if you have fully tightened the metal ring, then I can only suggest the tado chat line on tado.com - sorry!

• Thanks. Was going to that tomorrow. Frustrating as all but one of the radiators in the house use the same valve type.

• Ignore my stupidity. I just hadn’t tightened the valve enough for it to lock. Got it working.

• MS59
    MS59
    edited December 2021
    I’m having the same problem. It works fine on two other radiators that are just the same design but won’t on a third one. I’m tightening the silver ring as much as possible but the plastic part that the Tado valve mounts into won’t tighten, it just keep turning…think there’s something wrong with the thread on the radiator, though the old TRV screws on fine!!
  • Did this issue get resolved as I have Pegler Terrier valves and in the communication with Help Chat they suggested that the valves would not be compatible. In addition adapters are not available. I am glad I found this chat stream as it was going to prove unnecessarily costly with replacing valves. It would be great if someone could come back to me.
  • I think you need to tighten the silver ring a little more.

Doing so by hand is not enough. A pair of 'pump pliers' will do the trick (only a fraction of a turn at a time, until the tado base stays firm).