Is it ‘safe’ to have TRV on all radiators?

Options

The room where our original Tado Smart Thermostat is is the only radiator in our gas-powered heating system currently without a TRV. 

We know Tado give their blessing to having a Smart Radiator Thermostats in the room where the Smart Thermostat is located - for the reason we want to have it - it just gets too hot in that room when other rads in other parts of the house are getting up to their temperature.

The thing that’s playing on my mind - traditional central heating plumbers all say that heating system must have one room that doesn’t have a TRV.

Of course, we’re not in that world any more - but, before I pay the plumber to come in and take out the straight pipe and put in a TRV,  I’m looking for assurance /confirmation that it’s ‘safe’ to have TRV on all radiators.

What are the reasons that traditional central heating systems insist on one room that doesn’t have a TRV? Does that make any sense in a Tado world?

Answers

• TtT
    Options

In theory at least, tado will stop the boiler when all TRVs are off (aka temperature reached) so that should negate the need for a bypass or rad without a TRV allowing hot water to flow still. But I'm not a heating engineer, so don't quote me on that!

Towel rails are often used as an effective bypass and are not really suitable for tado rad stats - that the case for my setup.

• sptado
    Options

Many thanks for the replies.

I went off and did a bit of research and found this guy, who seems to know his beans, explaining what an automatic bypass valve is, what benefit it brings and where to fit it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaGC0ecLqJk

It sounds like it's something that should be fitted to most system anyway.

• sptado
    Options

I've just come back to this a year later and I'm pretty sure that 'the official' answer that had been given - "Fit a Automatic bypass valve" - has now been deleted. Odd.