Limit user access / privileges

We have family members who visit our house when we're away sometimes. We've added them (their phones) as Tado users so that the geofencing detects when they're here.

Some of them have a temptation to change the settings which I don't then notice for a while.

Is there a way to limit other users' ability to change the settings (i.e. Limit their access/privileges) whilst keeping their phones working for the geofencing?

I guess this might be useful for parents/children and landlords/tenants too.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

139 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• I am a landlord/parent and would also like this functionality!

• As a parent, I want to limit permissions for my kids.

• The geo-fencing feature only fully works if everyone in the house has the app on their phone. Therefore you need to have the ability to have different access levels.
    For example, parents have full access and kids have limited access to just change temperature at certain times of day and in certain rooms
  • I bought tado on the basis that this was on the roadmap back in 2017. Still waiting...

• Oh, in addition to my previous post. Where conflicts in settings occur, as they undoubtably will, perhaps have a hierarchy of control for the users. Then when a user is unable to make changes due to a higher user having already defined the settings, provide a notification telling them who to contact if they need to make changes.

You could even bake in an alert system telling the user currently in control of the setting that user x is attempting to make a change and giving them the option to allow or deny it.

• i vote for this feature too.

I would love to give read-access to the tado to the family members. Share the info but keep them from deleting anything.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

If this is going to be ever implemented it must be simple and easy. Nothing over complicated.

I am not going to spend a week to set-up a heating template for a guest. Same with WiFi access - owner network for your family members and guest network for your guests.

• Such a crucial feature.
  • This would be great for busy households but I think if you are on HomeKit network apple need to improve things from their side. Let's say anyone in my household could Turn my LG TV or Lights (Philips Hue) on or off if they wanted with Siri/HomeKit. Rooms should be based on user permissions. Maybe this should be sent to Apple Suggestions. But if Tado could do something if its possible it would be good!

• A must feature - currently invited guest can technically remove the owner - which is a bit ridiculous.
  • timf
    timf ✭✭✭

Over 2 years, and 56 votes later...

And Tado haven't acknowledged or implemented this suggestion.

There was a time when Tado's customer service and R&D seemed to strive for excellence. What happened?

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
  • Thanks for this link rafm5, supremely useful.
    Upsetting to learn asking an assistant to turn on the hot water isn’t on the list. ☹️
  • This is a real problem in a house with children that can manipulate everything everytime. Please this is urgent!
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

@DamianNG Generally speaking, thermostats should be positioned at a height of about 1.5m therefore kids shouldn't have access to it, unless they are really [...] unsupervised.

• I am renting out 1 room of my house. I want to give control of only that room’s Tado knob to the tenant. So, I vote for this feature.
  • Adding geofencing to users but i dont want them messing about with heating particular other rooms that they shouldnt be tampering with.

• I can't believe that this is still not done.....🤔😞
  • I'm sure Tado users appreciate the value of democracy, but when it comes to heating our homes it really needs to be an autocracy this winter 🥶. Those who pay the energy bills need to decide the temperature/schedule, without fear that others in the household are spending what we cannot afford. This improvement idea is over 3 years old; perhaps now would be a good time to deliver this feature. I'm sure it would be well received by a lot of users in Europe.

• Hi all,

The feedback is noted and I think it has also become more urgent with the rise in gas prices.

Unfortunately, no update that I can share with you other than that I have shared this feedback with the relevant product managers within our company.

• Really simple idea is to allow a pin to be set in the app so parents can install the app for children to support GeoFencing and then can enable a pin on start of the app to block changes.
  • Please (!!!) add this feature. I now have to choose between either no geofencing, leaving my kids in the cold ór give my kids full access to Tado (sigh!).
  • In many ways this is part of

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/1377/individual-geofence-option#latest

in essence, individualising controls, grouping individuals with particular rooms, setting levels of access, and linking geofencing to individuals and the rooms they use or have controls for.

So for eg Alice might have control of whole house, When she is out her room turns off.

Fred can only control his room, and his room turns off when he is out.

Catrin can control her room, the living room and bathroom and her room is off when she is out.

If everyone is out, the heating is off

James

• Yes I rent a room out and it would be useful if I could add my lodger without admin rights just have access to geofencing and maybe their room temperature.
  • Can we make this happen please. Having elevated privileges over other users in the home is essential for controlling costs, especially those who aren’t paying the bills!
  • johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    Tado haven’t yet managed to allow for more than one user account per system so I wouldn’t hold your breath.
  • Just start with a lower level User who cannot manage other Users (i.e. cannot Revoke Access, Remove Device) and who cannot Delete Home. Individual Smart Radiator Thermostat management would be next.

• vmguru
    vmguru
    edited November 2023
    This is a shocking Tado doesn't have this feature, Hive heating has this feature. I was going to fit this in rented house but its unbelievable the invited guest can revoke access to the owner. As landlord I want tenants to have some limited control but limited what alternative products do people recommend?
  • Hi, I have just revoked someone from my Tado and now they cant access their own heating system?

Any suggestions on how they get their own app working for their house?