Thermostat seems dead after battery change

Hi

After changing the batteries in my thermostat - it seems to be dead.. pressing the button for 3 seconds does nothing, holding for 10 seconds, still nothing...

I’m using brand new AAA Duracell batteries.

I’ve also try to remove the stat from my Tado account and reinstall - but now the bridge doesn’t seem to be able to pair

Any thoughts?

Regards

John

Best Answers

• Sysweb
    Sysweb
    Answer ✓

FYI - its the battery compartment area - i have had to "adapt" the contacts - so they make a better connection to the batteries - all is now well with the world - from a tado and my heating anyway

• tadohv
    tadohv
    Answer ✓

Hi,

same problem here, a dead thermostat. Turns out that in my case it was also the battery compartment. I noticed that the batteries were falling out - not good. When I opened the thermostat, very easy to do by sticking a small screwdriver in the two small holes in the upper side of the case and the two small holes in the lower side of the case, it turned out the the battery compartment was broken. There are two small plastic ridges that support the battery contacts. The ridges have a very small attachment ("foot") to the outer case. One of the ridges had broken off from the outer case on one end - not surprising since the foothold of the thing is so small. After glueing it back and adding some support between the ridge and the outer case (where the wires run) the batteries stayed in and the thermostat came back to life. Phew.

Answers

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Sysweb I assume you have tried the obvious e.g. testing another set, checking correct polarity etc so if you look at link below, tado specifically state alkaline and although I doubt it would matter, have you used alkaline or lithium?

• Yes tried 6 different batteries from a brand new packet, the Duracell batteries are Alakaline 1.5v LR03 - 03/2029.

And yes I‘ve double check they are in the correct way around (they match the picture) .

More thought?

J
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Sysweb Try re-pairing the bridge followed by reset on the room stat.

• Hi as stated

I’ve also try to remove the stat from my Tado account and reinstall - but now the bridge doesn’t seem to be able to pair

I removed all the devices, and set up from scratch - the stat is just dead...

I've opened a ticket with Tado support - as I think I've done all that can be done...

Regards

J

• I have the same problem i think ! My batteries needed changing .I changed them not it wont connect or pair?

HELP

• We are having exactly the same problem. Replaced the batteries in the smart thermostat but still nothing. Checked the battery connections and they are all fine.

• This has occurred with me too, can Tado advise as it seems to be a problem

• Same here, anyone? Help?
  • For me it's definitely NOT the contacts in the battery compartment: I've actually measured the voltage on the 'end' terminals inside the compartment, and it's a good 4.7 Volts. So the batteries ARE making good contact.

• I’m having this problem too. Very temperamental. Working atm but has been going dead on occasion. Any more thoughts?
  • I’ve had the same problem. And I’ve solved it.

I’ve tried with different brands of batteries... I’ve pressed in multiple ways the button. Nothing worked so far. Until...

Until... I’ve checked again the drawing of the batteries indicating the right position. Yes, I was placing the batteries in the wrong direction!! That’s because in all other devices that I’ve used in my life, the - sign of the battery must contact the spring, and the + sign of the battery must contact the opposite side. But, and that’s a huge design mistake in my opinion, in tadoº thermostat you must place the batteries in the reverse direction.

After I’ve done that.. it worked instantly.

I hope that this stupid detail can help some of you...
  • Hi all,

I'm having the same issue as above.

Low battery indicated my my wall mounted smart thermostat. Swapped the batteries out for brand new batteries, fitted in the correct orientation, twice, and the device isn't powering on, or resetting when i hold down the button for 10 seconds.

What can be wrong here? There doesn't seem to be any issues with the connectors.

Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong?

• What a ludicrous design flaw!

Thanks josedelasheras for sharing that. I've tried all the aaa batteries I could find at the bottom of our clutter drawer, been out to shop to buy a new set, and only after coming on here to check for issues discover the idiotic inversion of the standard positive and negative contact orientation!

Hope they fix that in future hardware updates for the companies sake. 😣

• Having exact same issues, up until I changed my batteries, today, my tado thermostat was working perfectly well. I contact support just a short while ago, they requested I send photos of the batteries in the thermostat, then batteries out of the thermostat, photos of the batteries on their own, and then asked if I had tried using a different set of batteries??? seriously, they had no clue and have now forwarded my case on to a technical team and I will eventually hopefully get a reply via email with a resolution. Im not holding my breath. Having read how so many of us are the same issues, it is obvious this is a Tado fault and they should be trying to solve the issue.

🤬😡

• Has anyone had this problem resolved? We are having the same issue. We had an electrician look at it for us and he couldn’t see any problem with it and couldn’t get it to work.
  • @Grayzee - it’s been fixed… poor connectors - I used a bit of tin foil to pad one end out… others have ‘reshaped’ the battery contacts (bent)… nothing wrong with the unit, just poor battery compartment
  • Hi all,

I bought a quattro pack of the Smart Radiator Thermostats and had 3 out of 4 not starting up after removing the battery seal. When the first one refused, I thought it was a production fault. But when the third one let me down, I knew there was something I was missing.

The tip of the poor battery contact was what resolved it in my case. Below is how I solved the issue with all three of them...

Hope it can be of use to anyone...

• I’ve had this and I note the internal guide to battery directions is wrong. The plus and minus are back to front.

…unbelievable. Turned the batteries 180’ and voila. On it comes!

• I now have this issue too. My thermostat is new and would for about 30 mins. Now it’s totally dead. Tried new batteries, in both ways round. Contact Tado helpdesk and I’m still waiting. This is a known issue so they should respond quickly, I hope.
  • runforrestrun
    edited September 2022

I'm having the exact same issue with my Tado bought in 2019. Warranty has expired.

Tado asked for evidence in form of pictures and a movie for using the batteries correctly.

They acnkowledged it is defect. However, since the warranty expired, they won't replace it.

This is really concerning. So whenever you need to change your batteries, you are running the risk of bricking your Tado V3 thermostat.

The fact that numerous people have/had this issue, points out that it is evidently something like a design flaw or vulnerability in the Tado product.

So the lesson here is: before your warranty runs out... replace your batteries and pray for the rest of your life that doesn't happen again.

Meanwhile Aqara just released an interesting product: Aqara Radiator E1.

Maybe good to move over to Aqara products since Tado is unreliable and the service is very dissapointing.

• Thanks @josedelasheras I thought I was fairly clever until I just realised I made the same mistake. There's an hour of my life wasted 😂 but thanks to reading this I didn't waste any more time.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@runforrestrun E1 is a great piece of hardware, but can't replace tado° It' will work as an additional device, but not as standalone product - it can't fire the boiler.

• Likewise I’ve just woken up to find the thermostat wasn’t working. Battery case had broken and batteries were no longer making contact. Temporary solution with a bit of rubber stuffed between case and battery housing + gaffer tape, but this is clearly not ideal!
  • =) thanks @mbraeke1 that worked perfectly for me. Appreciate you going to the effort of adding the photo!
  • Jimmymck
    Jimmymck
    edited January 2023
    2 devices have stopped working after a battery change tonight 🙈 the contacts seam to be fine
  • Hi all. The battery compartment “adaptation” has done the trick for me. Checked the correct polarity etc and the central battery seemed to be loose and falling out. Tweaked connector for a more solid connection and it turned on instantly. Worth everyone checking the polarity, as someone else has mentioned this is reverse compared to all previous batteries I have installed.
  • For me there was some corrosion from one of the batteries which deposited on the terminal. I scraped the corrosion off the terminal and put new batteries in then it turned on.
  • Lucamali
    Lucamali
    edited November 2023
    @josedelasheras thank you so much for sharing! I was about to send the sensor back…

Guys do check the direction of your batteries as it is the opposite of what we’ve always known!! 😒