Early start - how long to 'learn'?

Options
Hi, we have a new tado system and so far it has been a nightmare; installing it was largely guess work as I didn't get the email instructions that were promised, I've run into the 10 limit of TRVs controlling the boiler (which is not specified when you buy them) and now the early start is possessed, we've had to turn it off. How long is the early start supposed to take to figure out when's a sensible time to turn on? We've just found out that the system has had our boiler on half the night, it must be costing us a fortune. The early start is starting four hours before the start time - even though when you look at the graphs you can tell it only takes twenty minutes to warm that room. I'm really annoyed as this was one of the key reasons to get tado as I thought it would save money but it's actually costing many times more than it would ever save by turning on for four unnecessary hours. Does this every resolve?

I have tried to search for early start but it comes up with no results so apologies if this is a repeat.

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hi @Kingsley

Firstly.....you have run into one of the many Tado mysteries......"How does the Early Start function operate". In my opinion......it doesn't......or at least, it doesn't seem to work in any fashion that could be called 'acceptable'.

The Early Start is not configurable and therefore it works to a timescale that Tado seem to think is 'correct'. I believe that Tado 'think' that the Early Start function will 'learn' how your household requires it to operate.......Can someone please explain how this can ever possibly be correct......how can the Tado Early Start function teach itself without any input from the system operator.......IT CAN'T it's not AI (artificial intelligence)......so it's not going to happen........and even if it could, by the time it's learned your system requirements, you've 'burned' a fortune in energy.

I'm very cynical about many of the 'features' that Tado 'offer' with their devices. There seems to be very little proof that some/many of these 'promised' features actually add anything to the basic Tado functionality.

Secondly......from the other issues that you have mentioned......I'm not convinced that your setup is configured as well as it could be.......I recommend that you contact Tado Support and ask for their assistance with your current system issues.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options

@Kingsley

I have 'submitted' a reply to your initial question......I hope that it helps in some way.

I like/love my Tado system.........but I'm very realistic regarding what it can 'actually' achieve.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Options

Hi @Kingsley

Sorry.....but my original reply seems to have fallen fowl of some sort of "approval" review.

Maybe it'll show up...... if/when it ever gets approved.

• tulloch
    Options

I have found this feature to be a bit lacking in the past but if you contact support they should be able to manually adjust the heating profile for you. They did that for me.

• GrayDav4276
    Options
    Hi @Kingsley,
    Looks like my comment didn't get
    "Approval"......really don't know why tbh
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    Options

I got an official response form Tado˚ regarding this

Tado˚: "Hello,

Thank you for contacting us.

I am afraid that the Early Start has been designed for underfloor heating which is much slower heating than the radiators.

Kind regards,

Natali"

Me: "ahh, OK, is there nothing you can do at your end to adjust timings ?"

Tado˚: "Unfortunately, no, you will need to turn it off."

• tulloch
    Options

How strange, if they adjusted it for me does that mean they can no longer do that or could never do that?

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    Options

@tulloch I have asked that question, I have given data of my SRT and Early Start, showing how bad it is (sometimes 3 hours early),and now waiting for level 2 engineer to come back. It is strange though that WST work fine with Early Start.

• tulloch
    Options

Hi, what's WST? My system is not working at the moment, bridge has been unable to connect for 14 days. (not Tado's fault but it's been 6 days since I've heard from support ) However early start is not something I've looked at for a while so I looked back a few weeks just now. If anything, it reaches the target temperature late on average but not by a lot, say up ot max about 30 minutes. Certainly never early. In the distant past though, it did start up too early. I don't think it wouldb be possible to ever bt deadly accurate as that would require knowing in advance the external temerature profile at the property and all we have is forecasts.

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Options

WST = Wireless Smart Thermostat (should have said WTS = Wireless Temperature Sensor). it reaches target temp nearly at scheduled time, sometime just before and sometime just after.

• tulloch
    Options

Ah yes. THe room I looked at has one, as do another two rooms plus I have the new sensor in another. The hall is SRT only, I'll check that just now. It's not bad, often about 30 mins early reaching set temp but certainly nothing to complain about. Varies depending on outside temperature.

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    Options

for me my 2 rooms (bedrooms) that only have SRT's, with early start enabled and a schedule time of 8:00am they are kicking in about 6:50, these room only take 20 mins to reach target temp, so heating is on for 50mins longer that they need, and wasting gas.

• srichards
    Options

My early start doesn't work either. It under estimates the time it will take so it's never warm in the by the start time on purpose. I have set it earlier so it might be warm by the time I get up. I have one radiator stat and one wired stat. It's often wrong on both. It's more likely to be ok with the radiator TRV as that takes it less time to think it's warm.

I'm sure the system from a few years ago did work ok and it would generally start at the right time to have the house heated. Adding the TRV seems to have stopped it working properly. It's been noticeably worse since then.

Being at a target temperature by a specific time seems the basics of a smart thermostat to me. If Tado isn't even doing that it's a bit poor now.

It's got endless graphs of outside temperature and how long it takes the house to heat so there is no reason for it not to work either with a basic set of data points and some maths.

• davidlyall
    Options

I believe this has been discussed many times but my understanding is that early start only works with the smart thermostat i.e. doesn't work with the TRVs even though it is selectable on them

Tado has misrepresented this feature in addition to others e.g. their site used to say that they used a mesh network

I found the same as others that the system starts way to early so have just turned it off and set the start time manually to ensure the room is at temp when needed

• srichards
    Options

Mine starts too late instead.

I think it went weird when the comfort levels stopped being a changeable thing. That would let you tune it more to your liking. The home/away feature needed to be on comfort otherwise house was cold a lot when you returned.

There is a lot of stuff that users should be able to change that Tado seem determined to keep to themselves and give themselves more hassle than if we had control and could fiddle about to get it optimum to our own circumstance/homes.

• johnnyp78
    Options

The comfort levels are apparently still a changeable thing - if you pay the monthly premium. Otherwise you're limited to early start being on or off (off seemingly being the only useful option unless you have UFH).

• srichards
    srichards ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options

I bought the flat rate upgrade ages ago so I assumed that was all included. There is no subscription option that I can see either.

Found it. Have comfort setting on Home/Away so I'd assume that would also dictate Early Start behaviour. Hmm. It doesn't though as Early start seems to be about 45 minutes late quite often.