Should Global OFF button also affect hot water zone by default?

We are currently designing the global OFF feature.

The idea is that there is a button in your home screen that can somehow turn all your heating and AC zones to OFF in 1-2 clicks.

There will also be a button to allow you to move all zones back to the smart schedule.

We are running into the following:

Should this global OFF feature also affect the hot water zone?

For the "summer mode" use-case we think that it should not affect the hot water, since you want to keep hot water during summer.

For the "vacation mode" use-case you might also want to turn OFF hot water during your vacation.

Please feel free to leave comments and don't forget to vote.

Should Global OFF button also affect hot water zone by default? 36 votes

Yes (global OFF should also turn OFF hot water)
13%
jcwackyRishiToastyDragunovBenv2102 5 votes
No (Global OFF should not affect the hot water)
86%
DorusMarkCSkierjohnburHeleen_60samdJoopNLWa77aSimACDFVRPhilbySantacruzAsenspekkiejrwhat_a_tadoCarloMcbd20GrayDav4276GrilledCheese2S_Horwill 31 votes

Comments

• Yes (global OFF should also turn OFF hot water)

Since you are talking about zones (plural), I think the feature would be better as a panel with checkboxes for all zones completed by default. This would make it clear to the user that they are switching off their hot water too and uncheck any zones if they wish.

• No (Global OFF should not affect the hot water)

A no for me since I would mostly use this as a "summer off" feature and I definitely still want hot water in that scenario.

Also shutting down the hot water when I go on holiday would be a manageable extra action.

• what_a_tado
    what_a_tado ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Personally, I will have no use for this button but, if there is to be another manual button cluttering up the screen, it should be configurable to allow the user to chose whether they want the hot water included or not.

No, I would use global off for just turning my heating off in summer, rather than having to set every room schedule to frost protection. I still need hot water

I think it should be configurable, that way the user can select the appropriate level of control.

I would prefer to see a single Tile on the Home Screen which opens to reveal 3 toggle switches.

• Heating on/off
    • Cooling on/off
    • Hot Water on/off

The user then selects which functionality in the Tado ecosystem they want active at that moment in time. If there are multiple heating zones they all turn on/off (minimises the number of clicks).

Please don’t link this feature to holiday mode, summer mode or other pre-defined scenarios that may limit usability. Everyone’s lifestyle is different so better to present a list and let the user decide.

I dislike the suggestion that there is a separate setting to define if the hot water function is included in a global switch. There’s already an abundance of settings in the app.

• Maybe you could make it an option if Global OFF should affect the hot water or not.

I think I would prefer it to be on, so to affect the hot water.

• Thank everyone for your input!

Hi @Jurian

Does this mean that you (Tado) have all the input/information that is needed for Tado to design this upgrade for implementation........soon 😳

Can you please post a response highlighting what we (users/customers) can expect from Tado.......please don't just say.........."It's on the roadmap" 🙏

• Silly question. Some use cases need one, some need the other. What is needed is the ability to create, store and apply multiple scenarios.

Hi @Kerregan,
    Did you respond to the original Vote request?? 🤔

No, because if it did, it would be exactly the same as Away mode, right?

I've been using Away mode last summer not realizing for quite a while that Warm Water was also turned off. I did still have hot water available, but supposedly it took more time for the water to get hot since the boiler had to warm up? In my case I guess the difference was rather small.

So I would use Off as a "Summer" mode mostly.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    No it should not include hot water. In most cases I would use it as a "Summer mode" and would therefore wish to keep the hot water working. It's no big deal to manually turn the water off if I need to anyway.

Can I also ask, that if the intention here is to implement this as a sort of "summer mode" that the system is set to open and close the TRVs periodically (couple of times a month maybe) without firing the boiler, to ensure that valves don't seize up when this mode is enabled for lengthy periods of time? Nothing worse than getting to winter to find a couple of radiators aren't behaving as expected because the valve pin is stuck.

I voted No, because the summer mode should not affect hot water, which might be managed by an extra action.

Anyway, just to be on the safe side, I hope that with global OFF feature you mean ALL VALVES OPEN and boiler off.