[Solved] Devices showing as offline for no apparent reason

Jurian
Jurian | Admin
edited December 2020 in General Questions & Topics

Hi all,

As many of you have reported in this forum, there was an issue with certain devices (mainly Smart Radiator Thermostats and Smart Temperature Sensors) where they would show their own status as "paired" but the app would show them as offline.

We have identified this issue on Wednesday and a fix was released yesterday (Thursday).

This fix should have solved all cases that were caused by this server side bug.

This means that if you still have intermittent problems with devices showing as "no remote access" you probably have to move the internet bridge.

The bridge is a single antenna device, which means that it has certain blind spots in certain directions. (normal for any wireless device). Please change the location and orientation until the connection between the device and bridge stabilises.

Kind regards,

Jurian

P.S. As many of you have stated, our technical support department is currently under quite some stress because of the huge amount of new customers ware are welcoming into the tado universe every single day. Our customer service representatives are doing everything they can to support as many people as possible and we will get back to your request when we can. Please try to help each other in this community forum and try to stay positive, we expect the reply times to come down again to acceptable levels in the next weeks.

Comments

• Thank you for that, Jurian and I for one have noticed a big improvement.

As many other customers have mentioned we just want Tado to work well as we know it can.

It would be good to be kept in the loop possibly give regular updates on firmware update.

Your customer base can help Tado move forward!

• it would be useful to know what the firmware version is that is 'fixed' as I have been seeing this issue, and my firmware version is still on 60.7 in IB and 71.2 on the Extension Kit.

I already have a ticket logged with support (has been logged since about 3rd December), but the last contact yesterday was a dismissive "follow the instructions online", which I had already logged in the ticket that I have done.

Is there a way of forcing, or encouraging the IB to update firmware?

Thanks for your help

Kevin

• @KevinPawsey it was not a firmware issue, so you do not need your devices to update to get the recent fix. See the third paragraph above.

“This fix should have solved all cases that were caused by this server side bug.”

• Oh, when it said ‘a fix was released, I thought it meant firmware fix.

in that case, I have no idea why mine is still doing it... it is in the same spot it always has been in, and it has worked flawlessly until 22nd November... and now support are taking a week to reply.

Tado has been great until now, but this is getting a little ridiculous, as the heating is on far more than it needs to be. I think my wife is on the brink of telling me to remove Tado and put the old TRVs back on... I am inclined to agree right now.

That’s not a healthy graph... and we don’t have internet issues, and all our rooms look like this... since 22nd November

• @KevinPawsey that doesn’t look good, I can see why you’re frustrated. I can only suggest to keep trying with customer support.

• Thanks for your support @GrilledCheese2 it is frustrating, and it is a shame, because it has worked flawlessly for over a year, and I have been nothing but impressed with Tado.

Hopefully it will be sorted properly soon, maybe it is just a case of too much new traffic too quickly.

• MyTada
    MyTada ✭✭
    edited December 2020
    On mine, the brief loss of status is around 12 O' clock midnight everyday on every smart thermostat devices. This behavior has been since at the start of installation around 2 years ago. It hasn't affected me because at that time my heating would be off and I would be fast asleep.

But technically, Tado should fix this issue for all the users.
  • This is what happening. I think it is the charts not displaying correctly at 0:00. I can confirm that the heating control and the smart thermostat is working when the chart had no status.

• Same problem for me. The Bridge has been working perfectly where it is (about 12" from a WiFi Base Station so actual connection is not an issue) and as a former IT professional, I KNOW my LAN is working 100% correctly. However, this morning I awoke to a cold house and ALL devices showing 'No remote access' and the Bridge's Cloud LED was flashing. As I said though, LAN and all non tado devices working 100%. I restarted the Bridge and after 10 minutes or so, some zones/devices seem to be connected and then another 10 minutes, everything seemed to have remote access restored. But…

One zone started heating (as it should, being colder than the set temp) while still showing 'No remote access'. All the other zones that were too cold were correctly showing orange but just 'Set to x°' and so still NOT heating. I had to manually override each zone before the orange ones would finally correctly show 'Heating to x°'.

Every day I find myself wondering how tado will screw up today. This is THE worst. Not actually heating the house when it clearly should is just such a fundamental problem. A heating system has ONE FUNCTION. Heat the house when too cold and quite frankly I care not about their servers having a problem. Why does MY wellbeing have to rely on the idiots they are obviously using as developers.

While I love the idea of what tado should be able to provide, so superior to what manual rad stats can ever offer, at least they never refused to heat the house when it was obviously required.

Yes I'm mad. I've been battling with tado for years now and quite frankly the experience is appalling. I just want a heating system that does what it is supposed to do. This is pretty much the last straw.

• UkKenGB

I don't t fully trust or depends on them. I still have my old wireless thermostat connected to the system should the bridge fail or extension kit fail to turn on the boiler. It basically connects in a logical OR. If Tado play up at least the elderly can have or operate the heating whilst I am away from home.

The other day the extension kit relays stuck and it turned the boiler on despite all the heating has been turned off. So again, I had to put in another visual indicator and a power switch to isolate the extension kit relays should it fail again.

The product is not as reliable as it should be. Hope Tado never get involve with developing safety critical systems, otherwise they will wipe everything out.
  • Matija
    Matija
    edited January 2021
    Hi all, I don't think that problem has been resolved, at least not in my case, every night my smart thermostat looses connection, I would say that happens at midnight... I didn't noticed that this happens during the day... It's frustrating to say the least...
  • Maybe there was on the server side an issue as well. But the problem is still here... It's not acceptable and almost unusable to have that many interruptions between the bridge and the smart thermostat. I have 3 thermostats, 2 have no issues at all, one is constantly having problems. Btw: all 3 thermostats have different firmwares.... I don't know why they have different firmware, because I bought them at the same day. And I don't know how I can upgrade to a version that works....

• Same problem with new SRT. After 2 days it updated to firmware 75.2 and problem solved. Total 8 SRT now working ok.

• I've found out, that if the bridge is close to the smart thermostat, there are connectivity problems. After I moved the bridge to another room, all connectivity problems were solved. But sometimes it's not possible to go farther away. So please fix this issue please!

• I have the same problem as described in this thread. The problem only started 3 days ago. I have 1 IB and 5 smart radiator thermostats. This setup has worked well for about 18 months without touching it. Three days ago, I had connection problems. There's no changes on my LAN. My IB firmware is 60.7

The thermostats sometimes show as disconnected from the bridge. Then I reboot bridge and third light flashes for a good ten mins and they show up as connected. But they don't react to instructions. I can't make them blink. The app thinks they are connected but they are not.

I have moved the bridge to two other locations without improvement. Anyway, for 18 months it has been fine where it is. I haven't recently made any other changes to the LAN or put any great big lumps of metal next to it, or anything like that. Nothing has changed.

There's something up somewhere?

I have contacted support and await reply. Meanwhile, any suggestions welcome please as it's consumed hours of my time and is very frustrating!

• Hi Jurian,

Please could you take the [SOLVED] off this thread? It doesn't seem to be fixed, or there's another issue somewhere to resolve. Or should I start a new thread?

• Hi @GraBird,

You've probably done this already but......
    even if the App is 'not' displaying any "low battery" indications.....I would replace the batteries with 'brand new' ones, and try again.....you've nothing to lose.
  • Thanks GrayDav, good idea, and yes, I've done that with a couple of them already but it's a good tip. I find that I can use the old batteries in other things afterwards so they're not totally wasted.

• There are regulary serverside issues , it is not always local connectivity
  • My nightmares continue, symptoms the same. Any more ideas?

Essentially the IB seems completely unreliable - sometimes it connects to the internet, sometimes not. Sometimes it says it connects to my radiators but it never does. My setup has worked well for about 18 months without touching it. There's no changes on my LAN. My IB firmware is 60.7. It all seems to point to server-side problems. I've followed all the troubleshooting suggestions like setting DNS server to Google (8.8.8.8), fixed the IP address, etc.

- I raised issues with Tado support on 21st Jan and finally got the following somewhat unhelpful response today!

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and apologies for the delay. We have been experiencing a high number of requests.

We have reviewed your request and determined that it is necessary to escalate your request for further investigation.

Please reply directly to this email if you have any additional information that may help us. We will send you an email when the request will be moved to a different stage of the investigation.

Please do let us know if you have any further questions. We are happy to help.

Kind regards ..."

• @Jurian, would you please remove the [solved] badge?

I‘m having the exact same issues since Tuesday January 26th. It‘s not the antenna or batteries, since I didn’t change the location *and* I’m having 3 thermostats/sensors in different places (they all stopped working). It’s not the internet connection, since I didn’t change that one either and I can tell from my other devices that it‘s as stable as always.

Firmwares are 60.7 (bridge), 73.2 (sensor), 75.2 and 54.19 (radiator controls). Do you guys do any centralized fw management at all?
  • @Jurian, would you please remove the [solved] badge?

• Hi,

I still have issues similar to the ones other people have described in this thread.

I am unclear whether this has been fully resolved at the servers. Could @Jurian comment?

I have have very poor service and support from Tado, so I am a bit lost.

There have been no technical suggestions of changes to make at my end, or acknowledgement there's a problem at the server end.

The only thing I've had back is that my internet bridge is not supported because it is over 2 years old.

Yet nothing has changed at my end, and I am not convinced it is faulty, and cannot afford to risk £75 on a replacement just to 'give it a try'.