The Big Idea Archive

Comments

• Hi @AdamSpiers,
    Unless you have a 'bespoke' setup....your comment regarding the 'turning on the heating by adjustment only 1 TRV or thermostat is incorrect.
  • This is the most basic thing of them all, I recon it is 20 lines of code to make this work
  • But it can detect when the temp goes up in which case it could remove the notifications as it is obvious there are no windows open 😅
  • Hi @crashnick16,

Currently the Tado system is only designed to 'detect' and notify regarding an "Open Window Detected"......it is not designed to 'notify' the user that the reason for "Open Window Detected" has been closed/removed.

If the user takes no action once Tado has sent the "Open Window Detected" notification, then the users Tado system will simply continue to apply heat to that radiator/room and will try to achieve the temperature as set by the schedule.

I may/could be wrong about this last comment........but I believe that the "Open Window Detected" notification in the App has a timeout and disappears after a length of time.....I could be wrong tho' as I usually 'action' my OWD notifications. I will try an experiment on this later today.

Regarding 'asking' Tado to make the changes that @kozaka wants.......I really don't think there is any chance that Tado can achieve this......because......as I mentioned in my previous response to @kozaka the Tado " Open Window Detected" is not achieved by employing an actual sensor on the window.......it's a complete misrepresentation of what actually happens.

• I have the same issues in the U.K. After several years of tado ownership I have turned early start off everywhere as I know it only takes my boiler 45 minutes to reach desired temperature across the entire house, even on the coldest day and using early start results in the house being far to warm in the early hours. It’s a real shame as the ability to learn continually was a key selling point for me but it’s simply on 2-3 hours early continually and a manual tweak by Tado isn’t the answer as the system is supposed to continually adapt and learn. I think there are still great benefits but it’s a real shame that this key feature doesn’t work.
  • Hi @ngins,
    I have come to realise (suspect) that much of the Tado (promised) functionality was/is just not realistic.
    Much of what is potentially possible (as alluded to by Tado) would require a system that is much more powerful and indeed 'supported' by a technical support team which are capable of 'system development'. This development capability is sadly lacking within the Tado support mechanism, as far as I can see anyway.

The Tado system is much more 'basic' than I expected when I reviewed before purchasing, and a major 'issue' is the ability to set a temperature more accurately than by 1 full degree, an adjustment of 0.1 degree would be better. Add to that the temperature sensor being in-built within the SRT is a massive and significant design flaw. I didn't understand the actual fact that this would compromise the operational ability of the whole system. I am constantly reviewing the Tado Community posts to find a way to 'work round' this basic issue.

I (like many others) have invested a substantial amount of money into my setup.....and I am (currently) unwilling to just 'give in and give up'.
    So I'm between a rock and a hard place, so to speak.
    I'll keep my fingers crossed (but I won't hold my breath) in the forlorn hope that Tado can actually up their game and deliver on the "MANY" upgrades/improvements that many customers are looking for
  • I would be happy if the apps homescreen would show the percentage of humidity, also that you could switch off heat on all thermostats by one button.

• johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    Nice idea! Not very visually pleasing though - unlikely to pass the wife test for me. I think I will wait and switch the valves around next summer - although the ones that I already have mounted horizontally are still far from accurate :/
  • Please add temperature set-point to the graphs, in this way an offset between set-point and feedback is clearly visible.

Thank you

• Hi @MasaRick,
    This is a good idea 💡 but........ I think it will be ignored by Tado tbh
  • Would be great if you could develop smart plug type sockets that can be used to modulate (ON/OFF) IR heating panels.

These can work with a tado thermo to control heating per room.

• Well I have found out what it seems to be physical heat transmission from the Radiator pipes to the Tado Smart TRV. Picture below shows a test I did and what a surprise, the temperatures were off by around 1 degree even with the temperature sensors being far apart ~1 cm. This tells me for sure it is not just a problem of proximity but also of physical contact.

What I have done is to create a even increased plastic buffer and move far apart the temperature sensor away from the heat source. Virtually avoiding the metal part to heat. I did this with a slight hack of the adapters that came with the TRV (My valve normally does not need any adapter and attaches directly), I had to artificially increase the diameter of one of the adapters and add PTFE to create some padding to make sure the valve will not fall off. If only Tado provided and adapter/buffer/extension out of the box.

After I did this the temperature reading improved slightly more but not massively. This reveals more about the design issue of the Smart TRV.

My last test below reveals the following:

During heat peak (same time):

Mounted TRV: 21.4C

Unmounted TRV 1: 20.6

Unmounted TRV 2: 20.4

It is that temperature calibration is needed (cannot do it by 0.1C steps) or the physical issue is bigger than expected.

• As Tado has been unable to get the battery condition indicator working effectively and the feature is pretty much useless, can't you create a notification that is sent if a certain condition is met?

For example, If heating is "Not Heating" and Temp say 2 degrees below current setting send a notification to check battery. I have lost count of the number of times I have gone into a barely used room to find it freezing because the batteries in the rad valve have died and the rad has been shut off. If the app is set to say 17 degrees and it's not calling for heat and the actual temp is say 10 degrees that should alert that there is a problem.

• I agree. It is also a necessary addition for when you have an android smartphone without play services. The app won't work so, no statistics either.

An even better solution would be to also make the app independent from play services.

• Hi @dennisoliver,
    I completely agree with your suggestion on this issue.
    There are many threads in the Community stating this or something similar.

NOW.....Tado have launched their "CARE & PROTECT" system.....and you'd like to think that it would/should cover exactly this scenario.....but unfortunately it doesn't seem to take this type of problem into consideration.
  • Multiple home management is a topic required by many users in a lot of countries!
    Moreover it should be a priority for Tado company, otherwise a lot of satisfied customers are obliged to buy competitors devices to manage heating system in second houses or offices!!!
    Is this topic known? Its solution is forecasted?
    Thank you!
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Hannes_in_Vienna2030

Please see the following link which has 72 votes - better if you add your support there.

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/6/multi-home-support#latest

• Schippie
    Schippie ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I also find that the smart algorithm doesn't work that well. For the smart radiators, it is way too aggressive for its use in relatively small rooms (starts 2-3 hours early, and is done heating in 20 mins). For the smart thermostat, connected to floor heating, it is nowhere near aggressive enough in warming (usually reaches the desired temperature about 2 hours late).

Creating an algorithm covering all based would be very hard, so I would suggest Tado implement a way for users to indicate their use case, so that they can pre'tweak' the algorithm. Based on my limited knowledge this could be as easy as a dropdown offering

• For thermostat: floor heating or radiator heating
    • For radiator: small room, medium room, large room

Based on those values, tado can preset the start time, required heating power, etc of its algorithm. Which would then have a way easier job of optimizing within those parameters. I will post the suggestion separately as well.

• Schippie
    Schippie ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

After using both the Smart Thermostat and Smart Radiators for a while, I find that the smart algorithm doesn't work that well. For the smart radiators, it is way too aggressive for its use in relatively small rooms (starts 2-3 hours early, done heating in 20 mins). For the smart thermostat, connected to floor heating, it is nowhere near aggressive enough in warming (usually reaches the desired temperature about 2 hours late).

Creating an algorithm covering all based would be very hard, and unnecessary I believe, since users are perfectly capable of easily supplying relevant info. So I would suggest Tado implement a way for users to indicate their use case, so that they can pre'tweak' the algorithm. Based on my limited knowledge this could be as easy as a dropdown offering only very few selection possibilities:

• For thermostat: floor heating or radiator heating
    • For radiator: small room, medium room, large room (or even just small room/large room)

Based on those values, tado can preset the initial start time, required heating power, etc of its algorithm. Which would then have a way easier job of optimizing within those parameters.

Another way to do this would be to allow customers to create their own profiles, by exposing certain algorithm parameters to them and allow them to set it. This would be sort of a 'pro' mode though.

• Currently, the Smart Radiators can only be set in whole degrees. Please allow more granularity for better user comfort, e.g. 0,5 degrees.

• You should at least upvote your own idea ;-)

• Can't you do that by setting night temperatures in the smart schedule? At least that's how I do it (it's at 18 degrees for me).

• HGB
    HGB ✭✭✭

Settings like these should be implement in a new web interface only, not in the app. The web interface could be used as a 'master page' that could provide security settings and other settings that need not be changed regularly or by all users (guests, children, etc). The web page could also enable a better and more sophisticated way of making schedules, the monthly rapports, installation and technical information and so on. Wouldn't be too difficult or expensive to create but would greatly enhance Tado's performance and ease of use.

• Hi @Schippie,
    This has been requested/suggested by many, many people.....Tado does not seem to have given this "ESSENTIAL" system functionality any importance....which is VERY disappointing.
  • First they have to fix the temperature sensors, or launch a sensor that doesnt cost 80 euros. Why do you need 0.5 degree adjustment if the sensor is off by 2-3 degrees?

• But is that really the case for you then? For one of my radiators it's surely the case, but it is inside a cupboard with a slitted front so heat dissipates slowly. In the case of the others, temperature seems OK to me. In my case, the Tado radiators are all used in fairly small rooms so that might make a difference.

• Thanks @ChristianG This explains why the only radiator in my house with an adaptor needs the least temperature compensation

• Would be very useful but no answer from @Tado
  • This is ridiculous. Do we need to simply go to competition for this i wonder...

• Tadoº sends a notification "Open window detected" immediately after adjusting the temperature offset of a room to a negative value (like -2 ºC). This has happened twice, so I believe it is a real bug.

The cause of this bug is presumably the open window detection algorithm not taking into account recent changes in temperature offset before deciding it has detected a sudden temperature drop.

This discussion has been closed.