Nothing asking for heat but the boiler(s) are running

Options
hjenkins
hjenkins
edited January 2021 in General Questions & Topics

Im finding that when all thermostats are set to off my boilers (I have 2) still run. Why is this?

My set up is this. I have a large very old house with big thick walls. Powering the CH and HW are 2 x brand new Ideal Vogue Max 32 boilers. We have 19 radiators in total with 8 of them using SRVs and the others in hallways and some bathrooms using standard TRVs. We have one smart Thermostat in the main hallway which I assume (and please tell me) governs the dumb TRVs. We have the Extender Kit installed (one for the two boilers) and the hot water seems to be working as expected. My heating is programmed via tado controls to switch off late at night until early morning.

So, my questions are:

When everything appears off in tados world why are the boilers still running?

Does the smart thermostat in the hallway govern the demand of hot water to the all dumb TRVs?

...and slightly off topic. But in some rooms furthest away from the bridge when I manually adjust the temperature on the smart controls, the led only shows two horizontal lines going up and down, what does this mean? Is there a comprehensive document that details what the leds mean?

Answers

• hjenkins
    Options

UPDATE: having tested this again last night it appears the system is working as expected. With everything off the boilers did indeed shut down. I suspect that as some radiators are on the edge of range there may have been a delay in the signal reaching some of them to shut down on time.

if only there was an extender or signal booster I could purchase that would really help.

• cookie123
    Options

how did you sort out your problem? I have the same issue

• hjenkins
    Options

Shut everything off - leave it for 15 mins - double-check every radiator is actually off inc HW. Hopefully, your boiler(s) will have shut down. I'm really not an expert so wouldn't know what more to do after this. However, I do know tech and I suspect the thermostats are not updating regularly - so although Tado controls on the app says off they actually may still be on as they've not got the signal to shut down.