The Big Idea Archive

Comments

• Agreed; this is a useful feature, as well as a child lock to prevent accidental / inquisitive changes to individual radiator thermostats.

• Hello Tado folks.

I started receiving warning about "Low Battery" in the beginning of december 2018, but the thermostat is still working fine as of now (April 23, 2019). Are colluding with the battery manufacturers? ;-)

• A Room can have a Basic temperature in the schedule with an option in a block to allow a Pir to set a different temperature for a defined time. Ideal for room that are used daily but not exact time for example a dinning room or an office. The soon can be set to be warm enough to enter the room then when in the room it can be adjust for comfort.
  • Great idea, stop the schedule being messed up
  • Hi

I agree, the battery warning does appear far too early, it has just appeared on one of my valves and I know from previous experience it will probably last through to Autumn.

On the other hand, I have had four out of five hard-wired wall Thermostats’ batteries fail without any warnings. The app showed batteries as been good but when you tried pressing the device button the display was erratic. Very strange.....

• Biscuits
    Biscuits
    edited April 2019
    It would be useful in the Tado App to be able to record energy input e.g. volume of oil and cost added to the tank per delivery; units of gas used etc. This would enable convenient monitoring of fuel usage and cost to compare against the estimated savings currently reported (actual vs calculated). I assume some boilers will provide fuel usage data - mine doesn’t ! Obviously the provision of a comparison report would be required also.
  • jelly
    jelly ✭✭

How Tado should monetize its product seems to be by charging the users either by boiler service or charging for apps. This doesn’t seem a good approach, as Google wouldn’t be where it is if it charged to use its browser. People don’t like paying for things, even more so when they have bought the product. What is needed is a win, win model. Tado must have a ton of data on it user’s energy use. Why not set up a Tado user account, where Tado could group users into usage profiles. These groups could be organised into blocks to get good energy deals. Using this data, you could work out customer profiles and these profiles could be used to find the best energy deal. Tado could then use large numbers to get users good deals and the energy suppliers would be happy to pay Tado for the extra customers. When there is a better energy deal, Tado simply switches the profile block to another energy supplier. Everyone wins.

• Jakosaur
    Jakosaur ✭✭✭

On the V3+ app, have an icon show on the top right of a room tile if it's been heated in the past 20-30 mins for example.

• Jakosaur
    Jakosaur ✭✭✭

After installation, Radiator Valves register a higher temperature than usual if your hands have been around the device. So once it's installed, the temperature suddenly drops - so Tado° starts to pre-heat. Maybe have a set time after installation to not turn on the heating to allow the temperature from the Valve to reach the correct value?

• I haven’t noticed that with my valves but i am sure if it is the case just lower the set temperature initially whilst it adjusts to the ambient room temperature.

if you think they are reading slightly higher or lower temperatures than the actual room temperature you can adjust them in device settings +/- .

i used a digital thermometer in the room to give me an idea of the difference between the living area and what the valve was reading and then adjusted to compensate.

I was one of the Beta testers for the valves and they supplied me with wall mounted temperature sensors assigned to each valve to provide a comparable reading so they are already adjusted to try and offset the warmth of the radiator when it is heating.

• Jakosaur
    Jakosaur ✭✭✭

They're fine now, just after initial installation. Just needs some time to adjust to the room before going into the normal schedule I think.

• Jakosaur
    Jakosaur ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019

Also I'd rather the history graph only show when heat has been requested, not a big fan of the 3 heat bar lines as 1/2 bars don't always request heat (in our experience) and make the graph look messy.

• Jakosaur
    Jakosaur ✭✭✭

After clicking a tile, allow us to swipe from the left side of the screen to go back to the app home. Don't always want to keep reaching to the top to go back 🙂

• jacoscar
    jacoscar ✭✭✭
    You can easily buy something called ‘battery eliminator’; I haven’t tried it myself but it should work
  • jacoscar
    jacoscar ✭✭✭
    I have suggested this improvement a couple of years ago (as soon as I bought my first Tado, now I have it in my parents’s house and my own)

Actually, I’ve always considered it a bug because if I set the temperature to a certain value and then I go out for 5 minutes to buy milk, I want to find that temperature set when I come back, regardless of the schedule setting for that part of the day

I’m in the beta testing group, so I have downloaded version 5.5 which should have this new feature, but it doesn’t

It’s only if I upgrade to V3+!

Have Tado already stopped supporting the V3 app?
  • jelockwood
    jelockwood ✭✭✭

@jacoscar

Thanks for the tip. I found one on Amazon, it looks like I would have to in my case cut the supplied cable to put the power adapter at one end and the battery eliminator at the Smart Thermostat end with the existing cable in the middle.

• I would like to be able to use a Smart Thermostat (or cheaper device without thermostat) to manually override the Smart Schedule of all my Radiator Thermostats

• Increasing (or decreasing) the temperature by one degree would increase (or decrease) the current temperature set on all radiators (depending on preference, this could be for 1hr or indefinately). The user should have an alternate option to set all radiators to the manually selected temperature on the Smart Thermostat.
    • A heating on/off option on the Smart Thermostat to turn all radiators on (to Smart Schedule) or off (to frost protection).
  • Great idea, I would need that as well!

• Nic
    Nic ✭✭

Yes, or just solder a couple of wires to the battery terminals, but bringing the wires out would not be simple and you have to modify the case with some holes.

It would be much simpler if there were a couple of terminals to be connected to a 5 V (or whatever) power supply.

The batteries are for sure the easiest way for someone who just needs to replace an existing thermostat, but for new installations or for someone who is willing to run a couple more cables in the wall it would be great to have this possibility (even without flexibility on voltage, which is granted by the external power supply that you use)

• I agree... what is Air Comfort's ideal temperature? It's something like 22ºC therefore my house is always showing as too cold.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ ✭✭✭

I agree. Every room in my house, which are all at our ideal temperature, permanently show as 'too cold'. This feature needs to be improved (maybe allow you to set the ideal temperature per room or something) as currently for me at least it is of little use.

• mw9342
    mw9342 ✭✭✭

BTW, you can view the tado recommendations for ideal humidity and temperatures at https://www.tado.com/t/en/home-humidity/#bedroom

There it says for the bedroom:

"15 - 18° C (ideal temperature)

A temperature of 15 to 18°C supports recovery. Moreover, a low temperature fuels our fat burning engine."

And yet, the Air Comfort in the app tells me that 16º C is "too cold".

The recommendations make sense, but the app doesn't follow them.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ ✭✭✭

I find the per room temperature graph with heating and humidity overlays very useful (though I am not sure what the purpose of the sunshine overlay is?). However, the graph would be much easier to read if the temperature scale at the left hand edge was improved. The fine horizontal lines across the chart should be displayed at 1 or 2 degree increments (when in Celsius mode) depending on the overall range covered by the graph. A few more labels would also be beneficial (though not necessarily for every 1 degree increment).

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ ✭✭✭

As a software engineer myself I am always keen to ensure I am running up to date software/firmware. I am surprised that the device 'firmware update' option is buried under Settings / HomeKit / Devicename instead of under Settings / Devices / Devicename. Is there some rationale fot=r this? It would seem more logical to have the option under Settings / Device / device name.

Secondly, it would be helpful if (a) the Update firmware 'button' is only displayed when there is actually a firmware update available and (b) if it provided some information (version, release date) of the new firmware. Currently the button seems to bee displayed at all times and even when it seems that an update might be available using the button seems not to have any effect, even in the longer term.

Thirdly, there is no real feedback on the firmware update process so it is hard to know if an update is available, if it has been requested, whether it was successful or not (other than noticing the version number). This needs to be improved; ideally a history function showing update attempts and their outcome.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ ✭✭✭

If you use the App to override a room's temperature then the control dialogue that pops up only offers a time based override (including infinity). While this has some usefulness it is quite limited. For maximum utility this control should also offer a button to maintain the overridden temperature only until the next scheduled change in the same way as is possible for 'manual' adjustments via the device or HomeKit.

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ ✭✭✭

Actually, this is a duplicate of https://tado.vanillacommunities.com/en-gb/discussion/506/improve-climate-report-graph-grid-lines-1ºc-per-line#latest so better to upvote that suggestion and ignore this one. If only I could delete this original post...

• Hi,

Unfortunately this isn't technically feasible as virtually no boiler measures the amount of fuel it uses, let-alone report this over an interface that can be used by a thermostat. We have had informal discussions with some energy suppliers regarding this, and the consensus is that smart meters are the only way forward.

Best regards,

Frank

• mw9342
    mw9342 ✭✭✭

The latest app 5.5 has reintroduced this feature. It's still using the same slider to adjust the duration of your manual change but if you look carefully there is now a stopping point for the next time block.

• I would like a option :- if the temperature in my conservatory goes above a preset temperature the tado turns on my airconditioner to a lower preset temperature.

• Dunkelmann
    edited May 2019

For aging eyes like mine, it is very difficult to read light grey or yellow on white text, especially when you use a small thin font.

Please can you stop being fashionable and be functional.

This discussion has been closed.