Support more than 10 rooms and 25 devices

Options

Comments

• Ben_UK
    Options
    @Jurian
    Firmware can be (and is) updated, so curious as to why this isn't the case for this?

Wiser have a limit at 16 rooms and 32 devices. From what I've seen so far online Bosch appear to have no limit on rooms.
  • XKRMonkey
    Options

@Ben_UK You're right that firmware can be updated, but actually that may not help if the device running the firmware does not have the hardware resources (perhaps RAM) to accommodate the outcome of that change.

Simplistically, from a technical perspective, each room is going to require a certain amount of RAM, NVRAM or other re-writable storage to hold the information required for a room. Let's imagine for a moment that the requirement per room is 1KB per room. The difference between being able to operate 10 rooms and 16 rooms is therefore 6KB more storage. If the device running the firmware doesn't have that extra storage space, then changing the firmware to operate for more than 10 rooms is not going to help, in fact more likely to introduce a bug.

Before anyone tells me that 1KB is tiny, and that modern computers think in MB or GB for storage like this, then I would agree (and I am illustrating the principal, not stating Tado facts). But in the world of micro power consumption (and some of these devices are running for extended periods, operating relays and motors to open mechanical valves and connecting to wireless hubs on a 24x7 basis using just 2xAA batteries) you quickly find that CPU clock speeds, storage devices and other components are working in very different capacities and speeds in order to be viable. The obvious way to solve the problem is to update the hardware platform that is the limitation as a V4 hardware release and allow people such as ourselves to purchase the higher capacity if we require it.

The underlying design question is why some of these things are now not being stored and manipulated in the cloud platform, and then the control devices (receiver) can simply be sent the command signals from the cloud platform for open/close and can transfer data points from the local measuring devices to the cloud platform. In that situation, then some of these constraints start to become much less of an issue or even disappear completely.

@Jurian I assume that the receiver is the device with the real hardware limitations, do Tado plan to increase the capacity of the system in a future hardware update ? I appreciate that the forum is the voice for a comparatively small number of fringe use case "power users", but that doesn't mean that some longer term planning couldn't accommodate these needs, even if there is no simpler answer today.

I would also refer back to some of my earlier comments about PAYG licensing based on features enabled and numbers of thermostats, TRVs and zones being used as a way to fund these kind of use cases.

• Ben_UK
    Options
    @XKRMonkey

I do understand the limitations of RAM etc, but do feel if this is the case this is poor ongoing product design by Tado.

Regardless of the ability to call for heat or not whichever piece of Tado kit that is operating my TRV's must have the hardware ability to operate up to 25 devices. All my TRV's are continually managed by whichever piece of hardware which is able to send instructions for it to work correctly, that piece of hardware therefore has the capability to instruct 25 devices. I do not see why it can not listen to all 25 for both a temp reading and a call for heat command.. something every individual TRV can do if setup to do so.

Additionally all my TRV's are V2 and I believe my Extension Kit is reasonably new hardware.
    The TRV's themselves should not pose a problem as individually it should not matter if they are part of the 10, or how many others are part of the 10 that are able to call for heat or if they are 'independent'. The hardware within all my TRV's is the same. Therefore the computing hardware within the TRV surely cannot be the issue, I cannot believe TRV's are talking to one another to call for heat.
    I am not using the Smart Thermostat to control anything other than one rooms temperature. It is powered by batteries and it is part of the 10, however it is not a zone controller and therefore is doing nothing other than calling for heat just like a TRV would.

So I'm left wondering if the Extension Kit or the Bridge is the issue? Both are mains powered and (hopefully!) over the years both have been improved upon since v1. I apologise that I am uncertain of the history of Tado hardware, however I imagine both could have been developed to allow increases in both the 25 maximum devices and the limit of 10 issues.

So, i still fail to see why a firmware upgrade could not increase the limit from 10. I can only imagine either the Bridge or Extension Kit hardware (V3+) still has the limitations, Tado simply do not want to increase it, or (and I cannot fathom how this would be an issue) their cloud infrastructure would not cope.

Whatever the reason, I am left frustrated still trying to decide which TRV's to allow to call for heat and which not to do so.
  • Hello All, as per the blog it is possible to add in theory 25 rooms with 1 thermostat per room. It was not possible 2 years back and based on this blog I ordered 3 more for my rooms. However I still cannot add more rooms. Does nybody know if this support is possible? Meaning if I can add more rooms? I wrote an email to support and support replied back saying I cannot add more than 10 rooms which contradicts tado blog.

Thanks and Regards,
    Dayanand Patil
  • johnbur
    johnbur ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Options
    @Xander_Cage1984 I have 13 rooms setup so it can be done.
    The limitation is (or was a year ago when I did it) is that only ten rooms can call for heat - the rest are set up as independent.
    As I recall, I gave support a list of all the rooms and which were to be independent and they did the rest. This assumes you are using the extension kit I think.
  • Hi johnbur, thank you for the reply. Yes, I am using the extension kit to turn on the boiler. Support confirmed that only 10 rooms can call for heating. I have another question and maybe the answer to that question clairifes my doubt and situation. Let's assume I have created a room which actually is 3 separate room (in order to have a "call for heating" ability). Now the temperature in 3 rooms are 15, 18, 21 with setpoint temperature as 21 degrees for the room. The measurement device is set as "room 1". Now in order to reach the target setpoint, I assume the heating is turned on (because room 1 is 15 degrees). I am guessing only the thermostat in room 1 and room 2 turn on in order to reach the 21 degrees. So all is fine. Now let's assume I change the measurement device to room 3. I am guessing by doing so even though its 15 and 17 degrees in room 1 and 2, the boiler will not be turned on since room 3 is already at 21 degrees? Is my assumption correct or does tado algorithm see that even though room 3 is 21 degrees and room 1 and 2 are below 21, tado would turn on the heating?
    A clarification on these algorithm would help me a lot... If tado does the former (not turning on boiler) I do not understand how they can put such limitations... I have a house with 18 rooms (all with doors) and I can make good use of "isolated room heating" concept to save energy but I cannot due to these limitations 🤦
  • johnbur
    Options
    @Xander_Cage1984 the temperature at the measuring device will determine whether the boiler will fire or not. So if you have linked a trv in another room to this measuring dev, I don't think the boiler will be triggered if the second room is below the set point but the first room isn't.
    Not sure why you would setup Tado with separate rooms linked to one measuring device though?
    What I have found works best is to have each physical room set up (13 in my case). Then decide which rooms can call for heat (upto 10).
    I have actually ended up with only 8 rooms calling for heat, not 10 as I found in practice that the boiler ended up being on far too much in cold weather with 10 set to call for heat, maybe heating only one room.
    By only setting the most used rooms to call for heat, the other rooms (eg a downstairs loo, utility room etc) open their valves as per their schedule and wait for one of the 8 rooms to fire the boiler if it isn't running at the time.
    In practice, this has worked very well for us.
    At the time, I gave support a spreadsheet of every device id, which room they were allocated to, and which rooms could call for heat and which were to be independent and they did the rest.
    Once set up, you can change the call for heat /independent setting yourself for each room yourself to fine tune.
  • gap
    Options
    Hi all,
    I am currently setting up tado and came across this thread.
    Can I just check whether the 10 limit only applies to wireless thermostats and TRVs calling for heat from a zone controller / receiver, or does it also include tado wired thermostats?

Basically we have 8 zones for underfloor heating which will use wired thermostats, and then another acting as a zone controller with 4 TRVs attached. Will this set up go.over the 10 limit or do the wired ones not count as 'calling for heat' as they do this themselves? If so, does this mean that you can never have more than 10 wired thermostats in an installation?

Thanks for any advice!
    Gap
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

@gap the 10 device limit applies to TRVs and wireless sensors communicating with a single zone controller. This usually affects larger properties that previously had one thermostat to control a single water circuit supplying many radiators. I believe you will not have any problems with your wired thermostats and 4 TRVs - well within the overall limit of 25 devices.

• gap
    Options

@GrilledCheese2 - thanks! I was hoping that was the case but couldn't find anything to reassure me, so good to confirm, many thanks!

• mr_reamer
    Options
    What an absolute con. The website clearly states that these devices can give you control over your entire heating system, without mentioning any limitations whatsoever. I've found out the hard way about the zones limitation... So then I thought, no worries, I'll get another extension kit so I can control another zone's worth of TRVs, only to find out that a limitation of one zone controller per account has also been added. So... another hardware/software limitation!? The literature on the main site is essentially false and I'm pretty ****** off about it. I've just had to group all the landing radiators over three floors, all three kid's bedrooms, the utility room and boot room, the living room and dining room, just to get back the vaunted (and promised in writing) control over my system that I bought all this for in the first place. Not happy that I'm only finding out about this after investing hundreds of pounds in Tado. I'm aware that this limitation will be documented somewhere in the Tado specs, but it is in direct contradiction to the wording on their website when in fact it should be front and centre.
    If it can't be sorted by a firmware update then we have to live with it but shame on Tado for obscuring this limitation, and actually providing misleading info to customers in the first place. It could even be contravening the trades description act! 😢
  • GrayDav4276
    Options
    @mr_reamer

Well said 👍
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin
    Options

@mr_reamer

There is no zone controller limit of one. There is an official limit of one Wireless Receiver per account. You can use multiple Smart Thermostats (wired ones) as zone controllers within one account, with a limit of 10 rooms per zone controller. While keeping the device limit in mind. I don't believe the 25 device limit is a hard limit (it was not in the past), but having 25+ devices that all need to connect to one bridge seems optimistic from a range perspective.

This situation will not stay this way for all eternity. We are looking into upgrading our communication protocol. One of the consequences would be an increase in the amount of devices per account.

• that would be a wise choice. I am currently holding off from buying more tado devices just because of this.

that is something that the guys in suits with excel spreadsheets cannot measure: "how many sales are we losing by keeping this limit artificially down?", and I can even mention a second effect which is that I CANNOT recommend this product to friends with large houses, just because of this software limitation alone. how would I look when they tell me "hey remember that tado thing you recommended? it actually works for half the rooms"

• @Rob just checking my understanding, are you saying there is a way to allow more than 10 devices to the wireless receiver / Zone Controller assigned to it so that theu can call on the boiler for the heating to be started?
    I currently have 12 devices (smart TRVs and Thermostats). But 2 of them can't be assigned a Zone Contoller and therefore can't request the boiler to turn on.
    Therefore I've had to stop rolling out Tado across my house now that I have discovered this.
    Whats the solution?
  • paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭
    Options

@manesh_tailor Yes you can have more than 10 devices. The limit is 10 ROOMS.

For example I have 14 TRV split across 11 rooms. We have a couple of rooms with 2 x Rad.

One room in our house is unable to call for heat - it's the least used room. However if the TRV is on and another rooms calls it'll consume heat.

The advice I got from Tado was to either run with the above, or tie the TRV(s) in Room 11 to an existing room. This could be confusing IMO.

• alvoryx
    alvoryx
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Ben_UK what a good summary, I couldn't say better. Against those simple facts you enumerate, strangely, no reaction from Tado "official's".

Everything is just wrong. Starting with Tado's official "explanation". What is the link between having 10 rooms and the fact when 1 room is asking for heat, there is a """ big chance """ another one does as well ?!?!?!? What the f**** ? Are you guys lobotomized or what ? There is absolutely NO link. I have a house with Tado's thermostat and 4 Tado TRVs in the same room and then I have 11 other individual rooms, closed by doors, each one with at least 1 Tado TRV. The usage of the house is so that I want to assign specific schedules to each of those rooms AND those schedules are NOT overlapping each other. So, NO, Tado, this is a situation that happens and much more often than you say.

Rather, why on earth supposing that all your customers are either in a flat or 'open space house' scenario ? I mean the fundamental purpose of this kind of hardware is to control multiple/individual/NOT linked together rooms. If I have a flat or an 'open space house' then the advantage for me of installing a system like Tado is much less (since the size and configuration of the place I want to use Tado is directly linked to the potential earnings I would be able to make).

The level of stupidity it takes someone actually selling a product like Tado to believe this is unreal. I cannot conceptualize it.

Since I cannot believe that Tado's CEO is a retard, there has to be another explanation to this.

Please explain me the technical reason why if on 1 hand I can have 25 TRVs communicating wirelessly with Tado's gateway, on the other a simple supplementary parameter (nothing less than a boolean, 0 or 1) CAN be done for as much as 25 TRVs, BUT ONLY originating from a configuration done in one of max 10 rooms ?? Knowing that : 1) it is the TRVs that are actually communicating with the gateway, each one on it's own, so all are technically able to send the 'call for heat' parameter. 2) the definition of a 'room' for Tado being a logical association of 1 or more TRVs. That's why the explanation received from Tado ('deeply coded in the firmware') is not making any technical sense. No, it has nothing to do with firmware 'limitation'. Nothing, zero, 0, nada. To the extreme extent, I could even add that 1 TRV maybe always knows the room it is part of but that's it, it has no clue about other rooms.
    Hence again, what is the link with 10 rooms?

If there was another limit, like 10 rooms maximum, because, let's say, a limitation in the gateway firmware, I would say OK. That could make sense.

But there is no limitation of 10 rooms. The gateway is able to handle more than 10 rooms.

There is simply no technical reason TRVs member of room#11 are unable to send the 'call for heat' parameter to the gateway. Or the detailed technical reason has to be given.

What I believe is that this is nothing less than a limitation forced by the interface communicating with the TRVs.

The most crazy for me is that Tado is basically making it look like an exception scenario when it is 100% not. I will not pretend it is standard but we are clearly not in an exception. An exception would be if I start talking about 30+ rooms, that I agree would be exceptional and if I was owning a house with that much rooms, I could understand I am out of standards. But not if we are talking under 20 rooms. That's just not the case.
    Did you ever think about the amount of customers you loose because of this limitation? Those same customers with bigger houses = need for more Tado hardware.

To be honest this B.S. genuinely p***** me off. I cannot understand the strategy behind that.
    What's that strategy Tado ? Restricting your solution to houses with max 10 separate rooms to heat ?

?!?!?!?
  • alvoryx
    alvoryx
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Rob

". I don't believe the 25 device limit is a hard limit (it was not in the past), but having 25+ devices that all need to connect to one bridge seems optimistic from a range perspective."

I suggest you take a closer look at the forum you administer because reading your different interventions it seems you are missing some important/interesting things.

One year or so ago I posted a thread explaining how to easily optimize the range of the gateway.
    That solution is now running since then (with no interruption) in my house, covering around 400 square meters. Now I don't require 25 TRVs (18) but that would work without issue. (By the way, to this day, I wonder why I didn't get more positive reaction to that since the range of the gateway along with the limit we are talking about here is one of the 2 critical flaws, no-go aspects, of Tado's system)

By the way, if I may ask : what is your role at Tado exactly ? Why are you actually making those kind of statements which are, positively seen, at best incomplete.

What's the point Rob ?

Somewhere else you talk about firmware. It is simply not the case Rob. Your explanation is invalid Rob. This issue has nothing to do with firmware. Whatever is the reason behind the limitation, why spreading this kind of false information? Do you seriously think you can say anything, invoking 'firmware' so you think people will shut up and accept ? That's not the way it works Rob.

You guys at Tado are not the only people on earth understanding how stuff is actually working. Do you realize that ?

I mean if there's no reasonable reason to give customers on why not to immediately suppress that 10 room limit, why even talking about it ? I suggest you simply avoid the topic and/or simply censure everyone talking about it.

At least then it would make sense :-)
  • Kash
    Options
    I have 13 Tado Radiator thermostats. But only 10 can demand heat. It’s a bit redundant buying the 13 devices if only 10 can demand heat from the zone controller.

This needs a series product review/overhaul to either have an additional device to connect more units to the zone controller or a firmware update that enables this functionality. I’d like to understand from Tado why this limitation exists?
  • luteijn
    Options
    10 and 25 seems really more of a minimum requirement to me, than the max it currently is.
    10 indepent rooms is just barely enough for our 4 person household, and with some rooms having multiple radiators, if I were to add a temp. sensor to each room, I'd probably hit then 25 device limit. Let alone if adding another device each room for adjusting settings in a convenient place, away from sensor and valve actuator....
  • DanHick
    DanHick
    edited November 2022
    Options

I would like to see the limit removed. If there is a chance for any connectivity issues when going over the 10 room limit then perhaps this could be acknowledge during setup with a tick box disclaimer or something.

My system is nearly perfect if it wasn't for this limit.

I have a thermal store containing primary heating water (Water for the rads and UFH not Domestic hot water) that can be heated via Solar/immersions, Condensing oil boiler and a solid fuel fire and loading valve. Domestic hot water (DHW) is heated from the primary water via a plate to plate exchanger when a hot tap is opened.

I set the tado to gravity mode so the boiler is fired by the DHW channel if the thermal store stat is not satisfied. This change also fires the boiler when any Tado Stat/RTV that is linked to the zone controller is calling for heat.

When tado opens the HW channel the oil boiler heats the thermal store until the stat is met. (hot water is then taken care of independently from the rads if required via the tado app)

There is one heat leak rad on the landing without a trv to allow a high limit safety stat on the thermal store to trigger the heating pump.

All good so far.

Next added 10 x rooms to begin with....

1 - Front room (2 x rads with tado TRVs and a wireless stat)

2 - Hall (Tado TRV)

3 - 1st sons bedroom (Tado TRV)

4 - 2nd sons bedroom (Tado TRV)

5 - Guest room 1 (Tado TRV)

6 - Guest room 2 (Tado TRV)

7 - Main bedroom (Tado TRV, Wireless Stat)

8 - Ensuite (2 x Tado TRV's for towel rail and Rad)

9 - Main Bathroom (Tado TRV)

10 - Upstairs WC (Tado TRV)

Ok So, now we have renovated the kitchen. This is where it gets tough due to the limit.

11 - Kitchen - Underfloor heating (wired tado stat has been purchased to control the single UFH zone)

12 - Kitchen Plinth heater - (Wired tado stat has been purchased to control the plinth heater and Tado TRV linked to the room to close the pipework to the Plinth heater)

The idea here was that in the spring and autumn months we might not want to run the UFH as it has some lag with heat up times so the plinth heater could be selected for a quick boost to be more energy efficient and maybe save money.

So what we are having to do here as a work around is leave the wired devices as 'independent' (Not able to call for heat) and take a signal wire back to the boiler and CH pump when they call for heat.

If I could add 2 more rooms this would not be required.

Finally my next issue is going to be the downstairs WC/shower room and the utility. These rooms would make 14 in total and complete what "would" be the perfect setup.

Its a shame that the addition of the extra 4 rooms is making me now feel like I need to make compromises and link particular rooms. I realise that most people wont wont this kind of setup and that's ok but It would be great if something could be done for those that do.

• GrayDav4276
    Options

I personally think that the tado° limits are due to their server configuration.......so unless tado° invest in a "MASSIVE MAJOR" server upgrade......then we/you are stuck with the current constraints......imho

• luteijn
    luteijn ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    They might have chosen some unfortunately sized buffers etc. in the software of the bridge or on the server side. Or the local radio-protocol can't handle too many concurrent devices, Especially if there's also lots of neighbours with their own garage openers, tado's, other gadgets using the same band. I'd have to look it up, but the rules for using the band might limit you to only transmitting x% of the time, at power y with antenna type z.Wireless sucks. However, we're just making educated guesses here, the reason they aren't fixing this might well not be technical.

Edit:
    Limits to the duty-cycle are indeed a thing:

https://www.disk91.com/2017/technology/sigfox/all-what-you-need-to-know-about-regulation-on-rf-868mhz-for-lpwan/
  • Sie
    Sie
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The 10 room limit is completely ridiculous. I don’t have a huge house but even a 4 bed house with en-suites will have 10 rooms just upstairs (4 beds + en-suites + bathroom + landing). The suggestion to add extra rooms thst can’t call for heat is also a bit stupid, what’s the point of having a system like this to control the temperature in each room if rooms can go cold because they can’t turn the boiler on? That’s just pointless and a stupid design decision. In the end I decided to get a second internet bridge and smart thermostat for upstairs (which I have hidden in the airing cupboard) and then set up two separate accounts, one for upstairs and one for downstairs.
    It is all working well like this but a bit of bind to have to keep logging in and out of each account to alter temperatures or check if any batteries need replacing.
    So Tado is a nice system but severely restricted by these silly limits.
  • XKRMonkey
    Options

@Sie I agree with most of what you said here, a couple of notes below:

I decided that I wouldn't use SRVs in any of the bathrooms, instead I opted to use regular TRVs set at a comfortable level. The rationale for me was simple - most households have a general routine, using specific rooms at specific times, but anyone can decide they need the bathroom at anytime.

Using TRVs means that if the boiler is running, the bathrooms are warmed. In practice, this translates to "if someone is in the house, they may want to use a bathroom, the house is warmed because they are at home, the bathrooms are warmed too.". Since the bathrooms are heated by towel rails, a happy by-product is warm towels and predicable towel drying after use.

It also means I have a simple check as to whether the heating is behaving because I can feel the heat in the towel rails when I first get up in the morning.

The rest I agree with, I also have 10 demand zones (rooms with thermostats and SRVs), but my bathroom fix meant that I can properly control all of the real living areas.

Just my few thoughts.

XKRMonkey

• revdickvenn
    Options

I've got a solution.

I bought a wired smart thermostat, set it up, pretended that I was replacing a Drayton thermostat. There is no "actual" second zone, so nothing physical to control.

Although the instructions say it would be automatically assigned to be a zone controller, it wasn't and I had to recruit Tado help, who said "I have now created a second heating zone in your account."

So now I have two zone controllers, with a limit of 10 valves on each, and that works perfectly for me.

I didn't bother wiring the new "wired" thermostat to anything / anywhere since I don't have an actual valve to control. It may turn out that I have to parallel it across the other wired stat (if it's only those valves in the second zone calling for heat).

I don't imagine this solution would work for digital control systems. Mine is analogue.

• Rschot
    Options

I'm running against a wall with these restrictions. And it is freaking me out.

I've renovated half my house and have setup 13 zones with 16 devices (I guess the internet bridge and wireless receiver each count for a device as well). So I'm 3 zones over the 10-zone limit, but... I have no way of knowing which of the zones can control valves but not the heating. Also, the property is large enough to make connections with the internet bridge sketchy for some thermostats.

I'm planning to renovate the other half of my house after which I will have other requirements:

1) 13 zones, 13 thermostats and 22 TRVs, or...

2) 13 zones, 13 thermostats and third party TRV's (Honeywell)

The limit of 10 zones is ridiculous. Tado communicates with the thermostats and the heater all in one setup, but does not allow to pass on the heating signal from the 11th+ thermostat to the heater? WHY??? I could setup a second account and bridge and logically separate my house in two. But that would mean I need to log-out and re-login into another account every time. Your Taco app on your phone can't handle both and you'll only get notifications for the account you're currently logged into. Furthermore, I have integrated Todo in my home automation and I think (to be validated) the integration does not allow to integrate two accounts at the same time. This is unlike Philips Hue, which also has capacity limitations, but at least you can integrate all in one app and integrate more bridges into your home automations. Philips even has third party apps, like iConnect, that integrate the front-end app seamlessly.

So a solution could be that I partially install and control with another solution, like Netatmo, Bosch, or others. I would have two apps for heating and two integrations into my home automation system. Annoying as hell, but it will work.

Tado holds the key to the solution. They either re-design their system to lift the restrictions, either with range extenders or with multiple bridges (like Philips Hue) or they can even to an overlay on a GUI level in which you can manage and control multiple accounts and locations. Either way, they should come up with a solution if they do not want to drive out people who run into these constraints, which is surprisingly fast!

C'mon Taco, get to work. This is not an unknown and new issue, your customers have been requesting this for years!

• Rschot
    Options

I might have a solution to overcome the 10-room limitation. I noticed that the limitation was on the "zone controller". A zone controller can also be a wireless receiver, hence the confusion.

So, willing to take the risk of failure, I bought an extra Wireless Receiver to test a setup in which I divide the rooms over them. Both receivers will be wired in paralel to the same port on my heating system. I think it does add a device in the device count, I am afraid.

There is another benefit of this setup. Per floor my floor heating zones concentrate to a Therminon manifold that also has a water pump. At the moment I have a Honeywell controller in between that receives wired signals from Tado Thermostats and controls Honeywell valves and the waterpump om the manifold. If I replace the Honeywell valves with TRV's and also connect the Tado wireless receiver to the water pump, I may be able to get rid of the Honeywell controller. After my upcoming renovation I anticipate to have 3 extra manifolds and this way I could add wireless thermostats rather than the more expensive wired thermostats. Also, I could get rid of the Honeywell valves that can only go open or closed and don't function the way I would like.

I'm going to play around with this setup and gradually increase it's scope to see if it works. The next step would be to add 5 TRV's to my setup and replace all Honeywell valves and the controller of my current manifold setup.

A second setup idea was to also add another bridge. This bridge would get a separate account, which is a pain because you'll need to logout and login to different accounts all the time. If, however, I can use a third party app or system to integrate both accounts, I. would be able to control them both through this third party app. I'm investigating the possibility through Homey Pro. But can I buy a bridge separately? hmmm, only in kits...

Meanwhile I must say it is extremely lame of Tado that they do not come up with a solution that clearly so many users have been asking for so many years.

Current manifold setup could do with a little cable management... Note that I replaced a Honeywell valve (left dangling) with a TRV as a test. 4 wired Tado Thermostats are connected to the Honeywell controller. This controller controls 6 floor heating valves and the water pump. If any room needs heating, the valves for that room open and the waterpump starts. The thermostats are connected to the Tado Wireless Receiver, together wit all the TRV's in the rest of the house. If any of them require heating, the receiver kicks my heater into action. Apart from 3 rooms, as I currently have a 13 room setup, 3 more than the max allowed.

• totidev
    Options
    I still find it odd how Tado employees provide justification on why there is this limit (or at least try to). The 10/25 limit is just too low for some setups. Especially when they think that we might need to add up to 100 users to control our heating!
  • Rschot
    Options

OK, the second receiver works. I now have two receivers controlling the same heater. This allowed me to overcome the 10-room limitation. All 12 rooms (I repurposed the garage TRV) are controlled independently and all rooms can fire up the heater if needed.

I now have two limitations remaining:

1) 25 heating devices

2) internet bridge range

I just don't know how to overcome these limitations without a second account. But that would mean I always miss oversight of half my house. In principle this is only a front-end issue. I have two Philips Hue accounts, but an app like iConnect enables me to integrate both in 1 app seamlessly. All I need is something like that for Tado!