Tado App / System issue

I am looking for some ideas as to issues experienced with my tado system.

I have a Internet Bridge, Extension kit and a single Smart Thermostat

My Central Heating has been off over summer via the Smart Schedule in the App with only the hot water coming on twice a day. The other day it felt colder so I decided to put the heating on for a couple of hours via the App but the Boiler did not fire up. I wanted to check there was nothing wrong with the Boiler so put the hot water on via the app and the Boiler fired up and also the central heating started to warm up, even though it wasn't actually selected to be on. I then switched the Hot water off via the app but the Boiler did not shut off and the heating was still on. It was only when tried switching the heating on then off from the room stat did the Boiler shut down.

Now what is happening is each time the hot water comes on, the central heating also comes on. This is still set to OFF on the App Smart schedule. When the hot water goes off the Boiler stays on and will only go off when I manually switch it on and off again from the room stat.

Answers

• Hello cruickc2,

As per our experience, this sounds like the issue might perhaps be a sticky/stuck valve somewhere in your heating and hot water system.

A valve that diverts the hot water might possibly be getting stuck in the wrong position. In [this video](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6NhmCa-qk) the problem is explained and next in this response you can find a simple test that will help you determining if this could be the issue. 

There is a simple test that you can do to find out what the problem might be before you call an engineer:

1. Double check that both heating and hot water (if available) is switched off in the tado° app (mobile or web). If hot water is not controlled by tado°, then turn it off at your boiler or existing external programmer.

2. Now wait for your radiators to cool down - depending on your home, this may take an hour or so, but it is important for the next step.

3. Once the heating has cooled down, only turn on the hot water.

4. Wait for a while and touch your radiators regularly to check if they are getting warm. The reason for this is that in most homes, there is one boiler that heats water for both central heating and domestic hot water, and there are valves that control where the hot water needs to flow depending on the demand. Sometimes these valves can get stuck and the hot water will flow into either the wrong circuit (eg. heating) or both at the same time.

If only hot water is turned on, and the radiators warm up, then you need to get an engineer to examine your heating system - in our [repair services page](https://www.tado.com/gb/tado-care) you can search for an engineer who can help.

Best,

Germán

• Hi,

That makes sense why the Heating comes on when the Hot water comes on but does not explain why the Boiler does not go off when the Hot water is switched off and only goes off with me manually switching the Central heating on and then off at the Smart Thermostat

• Hello Cruick2,

Then it may be something else, you'd need your heating engineer to investigate it.

best,

Germán