[User Feedback Request] Quick Actions - Boost Heating

Hello!

As you may know we recently launched Quick Actions as a beta feature (You can try it on my.tado.com).

We’d like to receive some more feedback on the “Boost Heating” Quick Action, an action that currently heats up all rooms to 25° for 30 minutes. 

We learned that some of our users would like to change the temperature and duration of the Boost action and would change the selection of rooms on which this action applies.

QUESTION:

How often do you expect you would want to adapt the Boost settings (temperature, duration, rooms)?

[User Feedback Request] Quick Actions - Boost Heating 87 votes

Very Often: I would like to change Boost settings every time to every second time I use the action.
19%
Snakuzzotadouser1000McFarTechHoussproudLaisoren1986RHUlfcsixtimesVinhPetr_CZVineshLaburnum01DalegonTerryrsMattScholesTino7cambleC3ham 17 votes
Regularly: I would like to change Boost settings in some situations (e.g. when having a shower)
37%
HGBMarkCHeatexpertGvr_DrBrushmperedimMacForAllGrayDav4276mpartingtonrorscharxfieldJohnRDancp083Sandokhanderrickdaltonpconestew1045MisterHMastmanuellang 33 votes
In few cases: I would like to change Boost settings for specific circumstances (e.g. on very cold days)
28%
Rob2truespiritChrisJjohnburcloptonianRonaldMJwooACDFVRSanderwDragunovNellyFurtadocbd20LuigiGAndres76hugbillyIGCuberoTheFuzzyOne87CendreSchenkiepsl3 25 votes
Once: I would like to change Boost settings once according to my needs.
8%
jcwackyJacopo2B79r46610hm8632tribalisedCoxy 7 votes
Never: The current pre-set works fine for me.
5%
DorusPhilbywhat_a_tadoSteve_t1Oevie 5 votes

Comments

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Regularly: I would like to change Boost settings in some situations (e.g. when having a shower)
    I have gone for "Regularly" as opposed to "Very Often" simply because the "reason" to "Boost" may be different on many occasions.

I would like the option to choose which rooms for a selected duration and temperature.

Because it is currently "rigidly" set by Tado it has less functionality than the Alexa Routine that I currently employ.
  • Rob2
    Rob2 ✭✭✭
    In few cases: I would like to change Boost settings for specific circumstances (e.g. on very cold days)

I think the function of the "boost" button is wrong. It should not heat the rooms to a higher temperature, it should speedup the heating to the correct temperature.

I.e. it should not change the settings of the desired room temperatures, but it should increase the requested water temperature (or modulation level) to the boiler. So warmer water gets fed to the radiators, the rooms heat up quicker.

The function can automatically stop operation once the rooms report the temperature has been reached.

• HGB
    HGB ✭✭✭
    I agree with Rob2 and with GrayDav4276.
    I chose 'regularly' thinking of stuations in which I would like to heat up a SPECIFIC room very QUICKLY. If the feature can only be used to set the temperature of all rooms to 25° I'm sure I won't use it often.
  • Never: The current pre-set works fine for me.

I very much doubt I would ever use this non smart feature so I voted never.

• Regularly: I would like to change Boost settings in some situations (e.g. when having a shower)

I think some flexibility, if it were available, would be very useful, as the boost function is a great idea but I would not always need to heat up the whole house - maybe just one floor.

• Thanks everyone for your feedback!

• HGB
    HGB ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

And Julian? Will you give us Tado's reactions to our feedback?

• In few cases: I would like to change Boost settings for specific circumstances (e.g. on very cold days)
    I concur with @Rob2. The heater should be boosted to go full throttle maximizing water temp until the desired room temp (individually set) is reached. Then automagically back to normal.
    This could also work to quickly heatup the house when returning home (versus the comfort setting of the geo feature)...
  • Regularly: I would like to change Boost settings in some situations (e.g. when having a shower)

I'd like the boost option if I could select the rooms to boost, the temperature and duration. I find myself on Fridays and Saturdays extending the room temp in a few rooms as we decide to stay up an extra hour or so. I have thought it'd be great to be able to rewind the schedule - so say at 11 pm go in the app and rewind the schedule to 10 pm. That way the warm rooms continue being heated, whilst those off at that time remain off, before resuming to the post 11 pm schedule.

This seems like a missed opportunity for Tado. We currently have two 'scenarios' - Home and Away. If we could add additional scenarios, (working from home, etc.) then that would be much more flexible than a "Boost heating" mode. We could switch from one to another scenario without having to manually alter the temperature in multiple rooms.

Boost button is great- its simple and just plain works!
    The ability to configure it would be a bonus, but it works fine as is for me.
    Some other suggestions seem like over-complications and far too individualised to develop- a better idea would be an option to add ‘quick action’ buttons for individuals to configure to set scenarios.
    Anyway, that’s not what you’re asking- boost button is perfect- add it into production! 😎
  • In few cases: I would like to change Boost settings for specific circumstances (e.g. on very cold days)
    I think that setting target temperature to 25 may be too high for some well insulated homes. However, the duration of the boost at 30 minutes would in my house only increase the temperature by one degree so it ought to work quite well.
    It's a great idea.

Hi @Jurian, to me the Boost-function seems a nice feature for poor isolated rooms heated by radiators. It doesn’t ad functionality to excellent isolated rooms with underfloor heating. On behalf of tado-users with underfloor heating, I recommend tado to add optional heat schedules per season (per room).

Why? Underfloor heating goes well when the room temperature is pretty much constant during the day and night. Both warming up and cooling down takes time. Using a Boost-function could easily ruin tiles on the floor. It took me some time to find out an optimal heating schedule for winter. This scheme doesn’t do in spring, summer and autumn. It’s to hot as the day starts with relative high night-temperatures in the room that raises quickly by warmth of the sun on the massive windows in the room.

Now I will adapt the schedule manually per season. Would be nice if this can be installed permanently per season (summer/winter will do).

• Very Often: I would like to change Boost settings every time to every second time I use the action.
    I need to change to the 4 main thermostats, and leave out the smallere rooms.
  • Very Often: I would like to change Boost settings every time to every second time I use the action.
    I like this feature and I use it a lot. I would just like to be able to set the time to boost. Sometimes I want 30 mins and other times 45 mins would be perfect. The option to select which rooms to boost would be even better.

it would be useful to be able to set:

- boost for single room

- boost duration time

• RHU
    RHU
    edited January 2022
    Very Often: I would like to change Boost settings every time to every second time I use the action.

It drains my happiness having to enter every room individually to set a temperature that I want the whole house set to. For me, this goes beyond the term "boost" and more so for when the family have popped by or we're taking a day off work...instances like these mean I typically move away from the schedule and just want the full house to be at a comfortable temperature. By being able to use "boost" but edit the duration and the temp would make the app much more user friendly for me.

25 degrees is too hot for my house. We have the thermostats set to 19 during the day and 16 when in bed. Having the ability to boost the house would be good for the days I work from home, which is not the same day each week. We also have sporadic weekend scheduled so adaptable heat control is a must.

I would like to be able to set a preference for temperature and duration that are my default settings for boost. I would also like to be able to create rooms groups, eg down stairs, or bathrooms. When I hit boost I would like to be able to pick everywhere or one of my room groups and optionally adjust the temperature and/or duration.

I would also like to be able to use my room groups on the schedule so I can have the same schedule for multiple rooms and not have to set them individually.

I was hoping you could push in to the phone screen on the Boost button using Haptic Touch and and it would show options of how long to keep the boost on. Or an option in settings to change the default. I think it’s fine leaving the temp at 25degrees as this is the point of boost.
    Until today I had the Hive and smart radiator valves instead. I swapped systems because the Hive valves were extremely unreliable (they would disconnect from the hub constantly, would trigger the heating on all the time etc) however the Hive app allowed for custom quick actions which to me seem absolutely standard.

For example I had an action where once pressed it heated our bedroom, lounge, kitchen, hall and landing so when we get up in the morning (schedule wouldn't work for this because we get up at different times every day, randomly). We had another to boost just the downstairs if we were down there, and another action to hear just the upstairs if we were in bed.

I really think this is a feature which should be provided as default, and a lot of people will use it.

Just to be clear the parameters were simply:
    Room(s) to target
    Target heat
    Duration

Ability to have a customised boost button would be a huge improvement. 25 degrees isnt suitable for my house considering the variance of room sizes and radiator sizes, we get very different temperature results in each room.

I'd like to set them all to e.g. 20 degrees.

Currently, I've added a google home command to set all radiators to 20 degrees but I have to remeber to go on the app later and turn them all off again.

Lets hope this feature is added :)