My radiators start heating when the schedule is set at "OFF"

Recently several of my tado radiator thermostat start calling for heat when the time schedule has been set to "OFF". I have noticed that it happens on upstairs radiators during the afternoon and more recently early in the morning between 2am-3am. During this time all the radiator thermostats are set to "OFF". Has anyone experienced this or give an explanation on why this would be happening? I have only had the system for 2 months and these random switch on/off are giving me a headache.

Answers

• BTW - I have logged this with Tado since yesterday morning and still no answer from them. Do they ever respond?

• Hi. Well, well! Exact same issues I have! It will be of no fault of Tado not the software! Right! The 2-3am rogue firing up is very annoying!

Burning excess fuel is so annoying as well as the sleepness nights! I resorted to going to bed and putting the system in Away mode but that then failed and I had to turn the power off to the boiler. So virtually a manual system. Tado support do not agree that there is a fault with their system. They do not think it could be a software issue ( I am almost 100% sure that it is!) but the onus is placed upon the customers to rearrange their “ faulty” system!

Keep complaining send in lots of emails and on the not so Live Chat complain unresolved issue!

• Thank you sharing.

Still NO answer/reply from Tado. Yesterday I actually went to each radiator when the system came on to check whether the reading on the radiator thermostats had a reading of "OFF" as per schedule. All affected rads had a reading of 23C which tells me that the schedule is being ignored. This is now happening past midnight everyday and also mid afternoon. This can easily be proved by going into the stats screen.

I share your logic that this seems to be a systems/software issue to the values are faulty. Unless someone tells me that the bridge is calling for heat to the radiators and overriding the schedule which is set to "OFF".

I tried going onto Tado live chat but it said someone would reply in 1 days :) - absolutely crazy. If I don't get anything from Tado by tomorrow I am seriously thinking of contacting Martin Lewis and officially complaining about the after care service from Tado.

What have Tado said to you about your issue? Have they even suggested any method to fix the problem? If not I would suggest you too complain. Looking at the unanswered queries it seems Tado don't really care,

• Just been woken at 3.15 by the sane
  • What was the response?

• Did you ever resolve this? I’ve just recently installed tado and the last few nights it keeps coming on randomly in one of my zones even though nothing is requesting heat (according to the graphs and my target temperatures are below the current temperature). Really annoying to be woken up sweating (land not what I want for my 5 month old son to be too hot!
  • I have managed to resolve this issue of the system coming on outside the schedule. It seems that if you have a schedule set up with "Early Start" then the radiator smart stat will try to reach the temp set well before the start time. In my case I wanted to have my rad on for 6am but the system was starting at 2am.

After removing the "Early Start" from the schedule the Radiator Smart Stat started correctly but the next day I had an "E3" error message on all the Radiator Smart Thermostats for which I turned off the Early Start. I had to re-calibrate the Smart Stats again to resolve the error.

Hope this helps.

• Got the same problem, Fri 28 3am now Feb 1st 3am boiler fired up with nothing showing in the app. Thermostat says everything is off. I raised this with TADO and I was asked on Sat for more details. I tried setting temp to 5 degrees on thermostat that seemed to work on Fri but not today.

Also I powered off the bridge but Android app is still showing everything connected.

Very frustrating and tado customer care is appalling
  • It seems like a lot of Tado customers are experincing these kind of issues.

It looks like nobody at Tado is reading the comments.

I have raised an issue with customer support, but no reply - not even a robot.

What do we do?

• Hi heating has decided to come on when it is switched off and the app says its off really annoying has anyone managed to get an answer from tado?

• Jurian
    Jurian | Admin

Thank you for opening this topic.

At this time, there is no systemic issue with the tado system that we are aware of.

The heating coming on at night can have a variety of reasons, some of them tado related, others related to the heating system or faulty wiring.

I will give you some hints so you can continue with your troubleshooting:

• Go to settings, go to rooms/devices, now go to all your Smart Radiator rooms (click on room name) and make those rooms independent. That way, these rooms will not be able to call for heating from your boiler. This is always the first step in any troubleshooting! It is important to understand that bedrooms get quite cold at night, and the smart radiators can call for heating. This is not always understood.
    • Make sure "early start" is OFF (this is a setting for your smart schedule). Early start can start too early in some cases, and we recommend you turn it OFF if that is the case.
    • Once you have set up your system in a way that only your main smart thermostat can call for heating, monitor the graphs and make sure that there are no interruptions of the connection between those devices and the bridge.
    • Move the tado bridge away from any other electronics, and do some trial/error moving of the bridge. Even a slight orientation change of the bridge can have a huge impact if you have connection issues.
    • Always try a set of fresh batteries if you are having issues with a specific smart radiator thermostat.
    • Always do a "radiator swap", swapping 2 smart radiators between radiators. Always make sure you take out the batteries when moving the device to the new radiator so it will do a new calibration.

Heating system:

• Turn OFF all heating via tado. And only turn ON hot water. Now monitor if your radiators get hot. If they do get hot, it is most likely a problem with the 3 port valve.
    • Wiring: Temporarily remove the tado heating devices from the wall, heating and hot water should now remain OFF (Only do this if you are confident you understand electricity, always turn OFF the electricity before opening any tado device.

I hope these steps can help you to troubleshoot the described issues.

• Hi @Jurian
    Great Post 📯
    Can I suggest that this response is added to the Tado Help/Support pages (assuming that it's not already there) this will indeed assist some users with this or similar issues.
  • I’m now getting this issue, heating is set to off but rad valve is requesting heat, boiler is firing and running constant.see image - heat called 2 lines next to OFF. New Duracell batteries installed in valve.

• I'm getting this issue too. One of the rooms turned on in the early hours of the morning this week and now 3 more rooms have turned on even though the schedule has them all set to off having not been manually overriden. Resuming scheulde (to turn them off) failed, and modifying the schedule finally got the system to respond and turn off the rooms. There is no log to view any external (Alexa, phone, tablet, website) requests made to the system that may have manually started to heat the rooms. Come on Tado, you have ghosts in the code!!!

• Hi @Pianoman
    Have you checked the "Early Start" status of your "rogue" devices ?? 🤔
    Also....have you read @Jurian's post above ⬆️❓
  • Pianoman
    Pianoman
    edited March 2022

Hi @GrayDave4276. Thanks for your support. Ye I implemented these suggestions. I'd set 'Early Start' to every room thinking this would give me a pleasurable heating experience for little cost. Instead it seems to be unregulated and drastically increase boiler activity – obvious when you think about it 🙄. I've now deactivated this feature for all the rooms. I also found a useful Tado discussion about setting independent rooms from the zone controller (you - @GrayDav4276 😅, Tado SRT set as "INDEPENDENT" What does it actually do ?? 🤔) - I was surprised this feature was never discussed from Tado in their customer emails. As you've suggested, I've set some rooms as a main room - they have a schedule and temp target and control the boiler, secondary rooms - they have a schedule and temp target and don't control the boiler, and shut down rooms which are permanently on but with a low temp target. As you explained, the secondary rooms heat only when main rooms also require heat. Shut down rooms are unused but the valves can operate at anytime day or night to prevent the water flow from the boiler being reduced down to a few radiators, and to exercise the valves and flush the water in the radiators. So far the boiler seems to be firing a lot less, but this new configuration has only been running for 12hrs. The issue that the room would not turn off, even though the schedule and user requested this has not been explained. Hopefully this won't happen again.

• Hi @Pianoman
    Happy to help you out 😎
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

"Early Start" need time to get to know your radiator output and how quickly the room heats, and also when outside is really cold, this can cause the "Early Start" to overreact and kick in way too early, but if you persevere and let it sort it self out (don't touch schedule etc, as this will cause more delays to the workings out), eventually it does sort itself out and works really well. But this can take a week to surtout itself out, and still have the odd issue it it coms across something different.

If you don't want to wait or are not benefiting from the "Early Start" just disable it.

• I’m getting this same issue. Boiler running up at 3am when everything is turned off. Opened the graph for each room, and one room, the one with the wireless controller, is stuck at thermostat set to 18C even though it’s set to frost protect and manual control hasn’t been used (and is set to return to automatic at next change).

Why doesn’t Tado have an easy graph to show how often the boiler relay is closed?

I’m thinking of adding a separate smart plug to cut the power to the boiler at night just in case. Their support is awful to, how can you get past the chat bot?
  • Egg1000
    Egg1000
    edited January 2023

I thought I'd sussed it and it was to do with it reducing humidity levels, but I've seen other people's posts with graphs whose humidity levels are much lower. Might be the reason ours is triggering, but not other peoples?

Ours coincides with humidity reaching around 65%. Each time that happened, the heating triggered.

• We’ve had this issue tried all the things support offered to no avail - also changed batteries in two smart thermostats that were showing battery life warnings - batteries were relatively new and life was fine according to battery tester. Still not working. Decided to do a factory reset but the smart thermostat would not respond to the reset protocol - at this point we decided to change the thermostat batteries even though we are not being told they were low - discovered using battery tester all the batteries did need changing - after this the system worked fine. Really frustrating that we got battery messages on smart thermostats that didn’t need it but nothing in the thermostat that was effectively not working at all!!!
  • I suspect that the internet is going offline. The default state of the tado in this case seems to be to sent an on signal to the boiler to run the boiler, and it doens't receive the off signal.

https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/20708/lost-internet-heating-full-on

• Suffering something similar here this past week but it's not waiting for any specific time it just won't turn off.

No matter what I tell Tado to do the boiler stays on until power is cut. Support case open and they are responding but blaming bad internet connection which we never had before.

Support say the boiler must have been on, we lost internet, now the controller is stuck using its last setting.

The controller has no problem receiving signal and calling for heat so not sure what's happening.

Trying what's written above now but seems from others responses Tado is after making a cock up
  • root
    root
    edited November 2023
    My boiler (oil) fired early this morning even though nothing was requesting heat as well.
    I turned the Tado stick off as well as the boiler then started back up. Half an hour later it was back on again.
    I have 900mb FTTP and internet latency monitoring so general internet is fine but I am wondering if it’s tados end.

This has been a problem in the past but that was many months ago.
    I really wish the app told you if the boiler was active.
  • Tado are replacing my controller, thankfully still under warranty. Trying saying it was dodgey internet connection but after several attempts to remotely update it agreed to replace the controller.

As of now when I turn on power the WiFi, power and error light are just flashing continuously, it is not responding to commands at all. Hope ye all can find a fix
  • Thanks for all the various advice. This is what worked for me...

In summary:-

1. Turn off your heating and let the radiators cool.
    2. Remove Smart Radiator Thermostat from base.
    3. Remove batteries for 1 minute.
    4. Replace batteries in Thermostat (use freshly charged / new if in doubt) and wait for 1 minute.
    5. OPTIONAL STEPS: Remove base from Radiator. Attach Smart Radiator Thermostat to base and allow it try and recalibrate and error out. Remove the base and batteries and wait 1 minute. Put base back on radiator.
    6. Reattach the Thermostat to the base and let it recalibrate.
    7. Turn your heating back on and set the Thermostat to call for heat (so the valve is open) and leave for a few minutes.
    8. Set the Thermostat back to the desired heat.