Smart Thermostat turning on/off constantly

2»

Comments

• I did get a response from Tado, they asked me 'what noise, is it noise from radiator? can you record a video?' after explaining again everything that is in this thread I am no hearing from them, no responses anymore.

• Before I found this out this forum existed I reported the same issue to Tado. So far I have no response..

The problem is exactly the same: When it is heating, it's often 100% (and making noise), and then turns of. Every 10 minutes it cools down again and then it turns on 100%.. If you look at the graph you see a zigzag pattern.

It would be much better if the increments were more fine.. in steps of 10%

I also requested for an option in the app that it cannot get to 100% (but perhaps 90%) because 100% open makes way more noise than 90%.

I am a bit dissapointed, since my old not so smart radiotorknop makes waaay less noise.

• +1 from Denmark

My Danfoss Ally are much more smooth through-out the day - making less noise and better for the energy bill

• +1 from Denmark

Despite the apparent issue with radiators switching on and off instead of maintaining a somewhat average heating throughout the day, I decided to give Tado a try after having purchased them. So, I installed 10 radiator thermostats. After all, Tado has a 6 month return option - but only if they have been used for the 6 months...

Investigating the data logged by my smart meter, I however just changed my mind as it would actually be too expensive not to replace the Tado system immediately. Due to the very poor use of the high temperature - high pressure water supply from our district heating, I have used 51% more heating than budgeted for Q4 2020 - and I have seen the return temperature raising by 20 degress Celsius, which also results in extra penalty charges.

As long as this is not addressed by Tado, my recommendation would be to completely avoid Tado for any district heating systems like the ones we have in Denmark.

• One of the main reasons that the Tado TRV's cycle (frequently open and close) is because they do not work well when installed in the vertical position as they are affected by radiant heat from the radiator. They close in before they should and when they close then the radiant heat disappears so they open again. Solution is to mount the TRV's horizontally or for the best control (and if cost is not an issue) to fit a Tado wireless temperature sensor in every room and set it to be the sole monitored/controlled temperature for that space.

Regarding minimising the return temperatures, this is important when a District Heating System is in use. It is equally important in order to maximise boiler efficiency in standard self contained systems such as those prevalent here in the UK and in many other countries. The Tado systems currently do not address this. I have recently submitted a suggestion regarding this in the "Suggestions, Ideas and Improvements" section of this forum and would be interested in hearing about any third party solutions. Please add your vote to it!

Manual throttling of radiator / heat exchanger water outlets is a crude solution to minimise return temperatures and is better than nothing. This method perhaps used to work well when all radiators were always in use and the system was "properly balanced". With systems such as Tado, now that we schedule temperatures differently in different spaces a better solution to control return temperatures may be more appropriate and could so easily use the TRV's in that control loop.

• Hi all,

Just to let everyone know, we have taken note of your feedback regarding the current control strategy of our Smart Radiator Thermostats. I won't make any promises but just know that our developers have taken note of this.

• As a relatively new person on this site it's good to see that community feedback is being monitored. I'm sure most of us want to see Tado continue on an upward trend.

• Found fix if you use Danfoss RA valves. (Denmark)

There is a option to adjust the flow rate on the valve by turning the numbered ring. It can be turned down so event 100% open is still is silent and heating slowly.

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭

I believe the above valve is very similar to what the majority of people in the UK have on their radiators at the other end from the TRV. Something like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-straight-radiator-valve-15mm-x-2-pack/84816

• +1 from from Denmark.

• New on Tado - got it recommended, but googled after being tired of waking up to the noise and found this thread.

What is latest news in this?

And also interested in those of you who were active here a year ago - do you still have Tado or did you end up replacing with something else that have the cool functions that Tado has, but not the not so nice limitations described in this thread?
  • Did anyone find a solution for this? because if not i can maybe help.

I working on a adjustable "pin" to use with my Return Valve adapters.

That means that you will be able to manually adjust with a small screw, how much the Valve will open, and that way reduce the flow in the radiator / Underfloor heating.

• +1
    This is nothing to do with district heating - same applies to every other type of boiler, except I'm also concerned about the wear and tear given I'm switching my boiler on and off 10-20x more than if I had a smarter system (ie a thermostat from 1990s!)

Surely they just need to build some sensible 'smoothing' into their currently very dumb logic? Ie it seems to be just mindlessly turning on and off if any TRV is going below a temp, which means there's bound to be one somewhere always needing topped up.

If they can't make an actual basic 'smart' algorithm, then the could at least have an 'error margin' option for each TRV - ie to let it heat for longer or switch off later by choosing heat to 18 +/- 1,2,3,4 degrees C?
  • The link in he above comment is to a change request. Currently with 69 votes. Please vote to make it higher on TADO's list:-)

• Any news on this?

I'm in the UK and my hearing is off between 22.00 and 6.30, unless there room temp from the hall thermostat food below 14 which is unlikely. My bedroom tado valve still comes on and off maybe from 2.30am and I'm confused as hell as to why? The schedule has the night from 2130 to 6.30 in the bedroom at 12c and it never goes that low. So what is it playing at m
    I've bought 5 of these things and it's been 3 weeks so will send them all back this week unless they can be configured to stop making random noises at night.
  • If your heating isn’t configured to come on then, there’s no reason why the trv should be opening. Have you checked whether it’s losing contact with the bridge? Otherwise I would contact Tado support to see if they can shed any light on it.
  • Any news. I do still have the problem with tado. Do Danfoss ally or netammo have the same issue?