VA03 Smart Radiator Thermostats support a charging port?

Will the next version of smart radiator thermostats include charging ports?

Will make life a lot easier.

I'm stuck with VA01's. Unless there is an introductory offer that I can't refuse I doubt if I'll change them. If I did I'd die happier if they had charging ports

😕⚰️😌

5 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• With VA02 supporting rechargeable batteries is it not ok for you?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@o00batman00o There are no charging ports on VA02s

• Yes but I personally I prefer pull out the batteries than use an extension cord and a charger.
  • if so, at least make it usb-c.

Some hardware makers are still using the older usb plugs for non-mobile devices, trying to save a few pennies...

With build-in (rechargeable) batteries, the device can perhaps be made a bit smaller

• The use of batteries that need to be changed periodically seems very old fashioned. Lots of devices (like mice, keyboards, headphones etc), can be recharged by connecting to a USB line. I would be happy to just go round once a year with a charger to make sure that all the devices are ok. And of course, it the charge level was given as a percentage, this would be even easier.

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    This would just make the devices more expensive for no real benefit, not to mention more hassle to ship. It’s also not a great idea from a heat perspective as lithium ion batteries don’t like heat - so the working life would be compromised.

How hard is it to pop the units off and swap the batteries once per year or so. Just have a spare set of batteries that are precharged.
  • Strongly disagree with gary333!

Charles4's suggestion is a NO BRAINER - why NOT include a charging port in VA03?

It's ludicrous to suggest that lithium batteries will get too hot - thermostats are well ventilated away from the body of the emitters.

Also , if Gary used TADO to it's best advantage, he may find that he could set temperature settings to very closely suit the life patterns of his household and to anticipate temperature change requirements, This is essential if energy conservation / sustainability issues are a major consideration. If you have a fixed life-pattern this could mean 20-30 temperature changes a day if you step up and step down changes in sensitive increments. This results in spectacular fuel savings at the small cost of more regular battery charging or changing (I'm on version 1 so I'm still changing them). If Gary's only changing or charging ONCE a year he's not using TADO to it's best advantage.

Lastly, TADO need to consider ease of use and maintenance of the system for elderly and possibly arthritic users. I can envisage some elderly users omitting to change batteries and suffering the consequences.

TADO is SMART and needs to develop accordingly.

Gary, do you actually have a TADO installation? If so how many emitters with SMART thermostats?