Support multiple wireless receivers / extension kits

Currently Tado seems to be limited to 1 wireless receiver or extension kit per home. Please could this be enhanced to allow multiple wireless receivers/kits, as this must surely be only a software restriction. I currently have an extension kit controlling my hot water, but this is a large house with multiple underfloor heating zones. I would like to add additional wireless thermostats + receivers to control underfloor heating actuators for rooms which don’t have independent wired thermostats, but currently share a thermostat with other rooms.
19 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• This. It's clearly a software limitation rather than a hardware one, and because of it I've had to change over to the competition. I really couldn't believe it when I found out. Please do change it.

• paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭

@Brunu What solution did you move to? I've had hours and hours of trying to balance all my TRV's and get everyone to stay online and it simply doesn't want to play nicely.

• I just installed a second bridge which means that I have 9 devices connected to "Home" and four others connected to "Home2". It works, but I have to have separate accounts for the two "Homes". It's daft, because Tado could so easily change the software to allow more than one internet bridge in the same home. There surely can't be a real problem except that they would have to admit that one internet bridge will not be enough for people like me with a farmhouse 40 m in length, with 3 thick stone walls inside the house. It's no big deal that I can't pick up Wifi throughout without extenders, or ethernet connections, so why pretend that Tado's radio communications protocol is any different?

• paul0000
    paul0000 ✭✭✭

@Levelg Interesting. I'd be happy with two internet bridges, but not two separate accounts. I agree this can't be too difficult to implement (and maybe then merge the radiator / room views).

I had some Blink security cameras previously and they allowed the use of multiple "bridges" under one account. It wasn't perfect, but it made the solution manageable.

• Yes, Agree, or even better have the wireless receiver support multible connections. I have a Wavin ahc 9000 in place for the floor heating, but can only controll 1 channel. If the wireless receiver supported multible connections/channels - lets say in my case 4-5, I could have all my floor heating controlled by tado.

This is of course a HW change request which I put in as a new idea/request. But your suggestion would also work.

• I don’t need a hardware change, I’d “just” like a software change so that I can install multiple wireless receivers in my house to control some of the UFH circuits that are currently uncontrolled (permanently open), linked to new wireless thermostats in the affected areas. I suppose that a relatively small proportion of UFH systems are as large and complicated as mine, but even a small proportion of a large number of homes world-wide is still a large number of potential sales opportunities. 😉

• ciaranirl
    ciaranirl
    edited December 2021

Big +1 to this. I have a 3 zone setup that cannot be uncommon:

• Upstairs radiators
    • Downstairs radiators
    • Hot Water

In order to control this with Tado, I'm currently trying to get a Wired Thermostat to control Downstairs and a Wireless Receiver + Wireless thermostat to control Upstairs and Hot Water.

This in itself is proving difficult because the system isn't recognising the wired thermostat as a zone controller.

Having multiple wireless receivers would solve this problem. Hive is able to do it, which is what I'm trying to replace.

• I need the ability to open/close a motorised valve to the radiators flow from the boiler when only the UFH is on (no rads). Multiple receivers would let me wire the boiler in series with the motor for this. This can't be uncommon e.g. people wanting just the UFH on but not all their radiators (or heated up to their radiators).

• Rob
    Rob | Admin

We actually have a 'solution' for when you want to wirelessly want to control multiple valves, for example for UFH.

This is the standard for when you have a valve and a boiler. Wired thermostat connected to the valve. Wireless Receiver connected to the boiler. When you have more wired thermostats, you can control more valves.

Or simplified:

If this needs to be wireless, an alternative option is also available. You have a Wireless Thermostat ('leader') hanging in the living/bed/ bathroom. Additionally, you have a wired thermostat ('follower') hanging in the same room as the valve. The wireless thermostat measures the temperature, the wired thermostat only switches its relay, but does not measure temp. It simply follows the leader. They need to be assigned to the same room in the tado° app, similar to combining a thermostat and a radiator thermostat to the same room in the app. You can have multiple of these wireless+wired thermostat pairs in your account. And, they can still call for heat at the wireless receiver that is connected to the boiler.

• Thank you Rob, I will try this!
  • Ciaranirl I know it’s been a year and a lots happened since then.

I have just moved my Honeywell traditional setup to Tado in the exact configuration you mention.

2 thermostats wired and one receiver controlling hot water.

Works well.