Until next automatic change

Hello,

I have installed Tado devices last week. When I change the temperature on the thermostat itself, it does not follow the schedule anymore. I would like that the smart schedule is taking over control when a new event occurs of the smart schedule.

Settings

• Living room - Manual control on tado device: Until next automatic change
  • Living room - Schedule: 08:00-16:00 @ 16 degrees, 16:00-22:00 @ 16 degrees, 22:00 - 08:00 @ 16 degrees.

Steps

• At 18:00 I'm turning on the heating by adjusting the temperature manually on the tado thermostat
  • When I open the app afterwards and go to the living room, it does not mention that the temperature will be changed at 22:00 (according the smart schedule)
  • When I go to bed after 22:00 it is still heating my living room and I need to adjust the temperature manually back

Question:

• Why is my tado not switching back when I manually changed the temperature on the thermostat device? If I change the temperature via the app, everything works as expected.

Thanks in advance for your prompt replies.

Best Answer

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @SST Just a wild guess, but I wonder if the tado logic is flawed because you've got the same temperature set on all time blocks.

Perhaps their logic isn't treating them as distinct time blocks as there's no temperature change from one block to the next?

Try setting your 10pm onwards time block to say 15 degrees and see if it works correctly then. If it does, then that seems like a bug and should be reported back to them.

Answers

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@SST Have you checked this?

• @rafm5 Thanks for your quick reply.

Yes, this setting is set to "Until next automatic change" with description "Any setting change on the tado device will remain active until the next time block in the Smart Schedule, or until residents leave or arrive.

This implies to me that it will keep the temperature that is set manually until an event from the Smart Schedule occurs, but that doesn't happening in my case.

• This is the state in the app.

Normally the 'Untill next time block...' text is shown where a count down of the time is shown.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@SST What if you change your existing setup just to a 'whole day block' with 16 degrees?

• @cbd20 Good one, I'll try that tonight and will come back with the result

@rafm5 I've my doubts if that will work, if you have a whole day block, it might not generate a 'temperature change' event in the software? I'll try the suggestion from @cbd20 first, if this doesn't help, I'll try the whole day block.

• @cbd20

You're suggestion seems to work.

I've changed my smart schedule plan as below:

Then I set the temperature on the thermostat device to 17 degrees, the app is showing

Now (13:30) the temperature setting has changed to 16.2 degrees (as per Schedule).

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    @SST Excellent.

It might be worth reporting back to tado as clearly the interpretation of "next automatic change" doesn't work when two adjacent time blocks have the same set temperature.

Although that being said, I suspect in reality that configuration is uncommon, so they likely wouldn't do anything, and perhaps might even say that the logic is valid to ignore a time point where the set temperature doesn't change.

Either way, glad it's now working.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Hi @cbd20 & @SST
    You are both technically correct......we "presume" that Tado perceives the "Until next Automatic change" as a "Time Block" change......when in reality Tado is "looking" for a Temperature change. This is the reason that @cbd20's suggestion works.....I noticed this on my system a while ago.
    It's not a system operation "bug".....it's more a difference of "perception" of how we "think" our Tado system works.
  • I was struggling with the same issue after changing the smart schedule in two of my rooms (no heating unless manually asking for heat). Thanks for the help, it now works as intended :-).

• I had the same issue today. Even more I even left the house after I’ve manually change the temperature in one of my rooms and surprise! My heat never turned off for that room (all other rooms did).

Even more at midnight, when a new block (with a different temp) was supposed to trigger all my rooms did switch but the one I’ve set a manual temperature for.

So basically Tado just heated one of rooms for hours and hours for nothing… Ugh…
  • OriginX
    OriginX
    edited November 2023
    Happened here as well tonight. Can’t understand such trivial things get no attention by the Tado team, since heating issues should be addressed with prio imo.

I have no idea if Tado is reading these posts, but let me from a user perspective give a bit of context why I use a schedule with two low temp blocks total with the same value:

My office room I use sometimes. When I am present there I manually set the radiator button to heat. When it is 18:30 the schedule lowers the temp again. By the occasion I want to continue work in the evening I raise the temp again. To be sure the heating will be off for the night, the second schedule block will set the temp to low again at 0:00. However because this has the same (low) temp value as the previous block, it seems not to follow it, resulting that a manual set temp between 18:30 and 0:00, will not be lowered after 0:00.
  • I'm having the same issue in Dec 23. My dad will often stay up late watching a film. The heating is set to go off at 22.45 and come on at 8.15 the following morning. But if he's still up at 23.00 and puts the heating back on manually it will stay on untill 8.15 even though i have added another 'off'' time block from 22.45 - 00.00.
    The answer at the moment seems to be @cbd20's suggestion but perhaps a further 4th option of 'until next time block' for the 'Manual control on tado device' setting, should be proposed.
    I think this is a tado oversight, given it actually states "Any setting change on the tado device will remain active until the next time block in the smart shedule"

It doesn't say 'until the next temperature change' which is what actually happens.