Individual Geofence Option

Comments

• Same need here: linking user + own room(s) + geofencing (of that user and his/her room(s)).

That would be awesome! 🤗

• Dear Tado,
    The kids just went back to their mums for a week.
    So I click on child1 room, set temp low until I cancel.
    I click on child 2 room, set temp low until I cancel.
    Then I click on child 3 room, set temp low until I cancel.

When they stay at mine, I click on child 1 room and cancel so smart schedule starts ( same schedule as child 2 and 3 but I had to configure all seperately).
    Then I click on child 2 room and cancel so smart schedule starts ( same schedule as child 1 and 3 but I had to configure child 2 room seperately).
    You know what I do for child 3...

This got boring and defeated the purpose of my investment in your pretty good hardware. So I gave child 1 access to the app. He thought it was amusing to keep turning his sister room down.. do you have kids, this was parent agro situation I could have done without.

So I go back to just me with app access, manually controlling their rooms via your HMI.

Other than assuming, no doubt like potential new customers, some very basic functionality ( users, roles, template schedules, room grouping, user room permission, user presence), plase tell me what I'm doing wrong and if it is not me, what and when are you going tado something about it.
    Mfg
    Martin
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Loz By no means a complete answer to your problem but if you have one spare you could use one of the three sets of 'days' (Mon to Sun; Mon to Fri with separate Sat Sun; Each day of the week) which are available under the title Schedule Days in the schedule settings.

• @samd thanks, but couldn't figure what you were suggesting. I configured the kids rooms against a day set, but their rooms and schedules remain separate entities and no sign of any linking or grouping.
    Idk what tado.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Loz What I was suggesting is to make a smart schedule for each of the kids rooms using Schedule days Mon to Sun covering when they are with you. Then do another smart schedule using Schedule Days Mon to Fri, Sat, Sun covering when they are not with you. You can then switch the Smart Schedule as appropriate.

• @samd cheers.. got it!
    Following that, I guess I still have to go each kids room to switch between schedule days, or have I missed something to minimise clicks?
    I've got an old raspberry pi kicking round, I think time invested in playing with home assistant will pay off the amount of clicks the tado UX is forcing me into..
    Knowing me, I have highly underestimated the effort and no doubt just as get it working, tado will release the feature..
    Suppose nice lockdown project tado and keep me busy.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Loz Yes you would have to switch schedule for each room - I did say it was not the complete answer!!😘

• @Loz Did you ever find a solution to this?

I have exactly the same setup family-wise. three kids with me 50% of the time- fixed during week with alternate weekends. Need to have grouping of rooms that i can automatically switch to away.

• hey @mark79d not out of box or until tado roll out new features (which reading forums shows have been on roadmap for years)

I sure made big mistake in assuming seemingly noddy basic functionality!

so, i requested a raspberry pi in my xmas letter to santa.. will have a play with home assistant and see if that makes life easier.. will report back :)

• if we keep posting in this thread and liking each others messages, would it help prioritise the topic ? if so, we should plan a campaign to get this feature on tado's todo list.

• what_a_tado
    what_a_tado ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@Loz from another thread, a Tado employee suggested that their Product managers get an overview of the most upvoted features every month so, somehow, you will need to get more people to vote for it so it moves up the list.

• @what_a_tado Well, you can up vote what you want but if they have a 1 part time programmer working on this it's gonna take a while.

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭

It would be great to have room/user specific geofencing.

If a room (or rooms) is linked to a specific user then it wouldn't heat that room if they're out but would continue to heat the rest of the house. If everyone was out of the house, it would behave as it does currently

My kids are often out but we're at home so it would be good to have the system hold off heating their rooms while the rest of the house is unaffected.

• I totally agree. This should be definitely incorporated in the app.

• I have a floor which is occupied by in in-laws, when they're we don't want to heat it. I can do something honky with Homekit but setting thermostats to be the user (or groups of users) would be much better. Zones won't work as we have the same boiler.

• I am divorced with 3 children, who come and stay only on certain days. I would like to be able to restrict their rights in the Tado App only to the thermostats in their own rooms, and not to be able to control the settings for the rest of the house. Additionally I would like their rooms to go to "away" mode when they are not home, but without affecting the status of the rest of the house. I see from the forums these features are very popular. Currently I am using Domoticz and wifi detection to implement this, and it works somewhat but it is not perfect.

I suggest you need to implement a concept of zones, and assign user-rights, schedules, etc for each zone. A zone may include multiple rooms, and each zone should have a separate home/away mode and separate control over rights. It should be possible to restrict access for registered users such that they can only affect certain zones. Obviously, each zone should still be able to call on the boiler (which may be in a different zone) to provide heat, but all other zones (apart from open radiators) should be unaffected.

I would happily participate in any beta testing for such a feature.

• +1, same with kids coming and going as they please.
  • Great feature - definitely should be rolled out.
  • have been asking for this from Tado for years.

• I was looking for this also. Upvoted!

• Five people in this house, all with different schedules and all using different combinations of rooms. This feature is conspicuously absent and should have been available a long time ago.
  • This is a really useful feature for families and I think it’s well worthwhile +1
  • I fully support this suggestion, would also work for me!

• this is honestly a must and it's crazy that it's not available

• I agree. I was going to post it myself but thought I’d look before. With lots now splitting working from home and office it would be great.
  • This is a must for Tado to develop if they are truly committed to helping reduce the carbon footprint of heating systems and reducing the running costs for us, the customer
  • AndyMarden
    edited November 2021
    +1 from me

Seems that tado don't prioritise on what the community wants.
  • Agree, 4 users in house, so geofencing should be by zone ideally.

As well, would be nice to grant "read only" or "geofencing only" profiles. I installed tado to my teenagers, as geofencing would not work properly if they are not users and sometimes are home alone. But now my kids can change everything, and they can mess it up...

Thank you tado for considering those.