wired tado to replace nest - UK combi boiler

Chenks
Chenks
edited June 2022 in General Questions & Topics

hi

looking for some assitance and guidance. i am in the UK and this is for a combi boiler.

i currently have an Alpha Evoke 33 boiler with a Nest. originally it had a standard wired dial type stat which was replaced with the nest.

the existing stat wiring was converted from high power (230/240v) to low power (5v) to allow the nest to use the wiring to power the nest stat.

i am now removing the nest and replacing with a wired tado stat (i already have it, just waiting to install it).

i'll probably get one fo the gas engineers from the company i work at to come out and remove the nest and wire up the tado, just looking for advice on what needs done to the wiring.

does it just need converted back to the way it was when the old dial stat was in place? (ie high powered 230/240v). supplied instructions seem a little vaugue.

i have attached images of the kit i mentioned.

Answers

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Chenks
    Is the Tado Smart Thermostat the only Tado device that you have ?? 🤔
    Are you intending to install any other Tado devices into your system.....if not.....what benefits do you expect to get from the installation of a Tado wired Smart Thermostat ?? 🤔
  • Hi, are you able to answer the queries I have?
    The questions you pose are for a discussion some other time
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Chenks
    Sorry for wasting your time.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

@Chenks I converted from Nest to tado but have no idea whether my wiring would help or hinder your installation. Despite your refusal to discuss your complete requirements, you should be aware that not everything can be accommodated and @GrayDav4276 was right to ask you what he did. It would annoy you no end were tado not to meet your needs after installing partly.

Go to the help line on tado.com and put your requirements to them.

• @samd with respect, i'm not sure why asking what benefits i expect by replacing the next with a tado have anything to do with the question.

completed requirements are irrelevant at this point. i simply need advice on the wiring requirements for the wired stat.

to make it easier, lets forget about the nest completely. the nest can be removed and the original wired dial stat can be re-instated. so from that point what are the wiring requirements to replace the dial stat with the tado wired stat.

tado suppot agent already said that there would be no issues in doing this, that was before the purcahse was made, and no specific wiring advise was given at that point.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    As @samd has advised....you should go to Tado help for specific installation instructions.
  • ok i guess i mistakingly assumed the community was here to help. my mistake.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    And now I appear to have wasted my time too.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭

@Chenks This forum has many members, including @GrayDav4276, with a wealth of information that has assisted countless number of new subscribers. There are a number of issues where tado is less than satisfactory such as where significant distances twixt equipment can cause real problems. It would be remiss of anyone here NOT to ask you what your long term aims are in order that you get an unbiased opinion against your complete needs. I think you have started here on the wrong foot - best swap feet!!

• my short and long term aims are to control the heating with the tado stat, with integration into homekit.

that's all there is too it, the nest info was only included as that it was it being removed.

i don't believe any wrong foot was used, i asked a question about wiring requirements and was question about what my expectations were and essentially why i was doing it - that is irrelevant when all i asked for was wiring requirements.

as of yet, other than being told to go ask somewhere else, no-one has offered any advice about that actual question that was asked.

• If you are purely swapping one wired thermostat for another, then this should be easy enough to achieve. Specific instructions are supplied through the tado app when you're actually doing the installation itself and really makes it very easy to do. The additional questions people are asking about is likely because of the nuances of tado systems, especially when working in conjunction with wired thermostats - trust me, I've faced some of these myself and caused me quite a few issues trying to get everything to work together. If you're considering using the Extension Kit (CH & Hot Water control unit) and/or Radiator Thermostats there are definitely other considerations that will come into play.

As for the voltage requirements, in your original question, it appears from some documents I've found online that it's possible http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1184164.pdf (search the doc for "230V and extra low voltage"). Mine runs on the 230V system, so can't personally attest to it, but there does appear to be a low voltage option for configuration.

It's definitely worth getting the latest information from tado Support (https://support.tado.com/hc/en-gb). They've always been extremely helpful for me, as well as very responsive, and may even have better reference material to hand for you.

• already been fitted and working as expected.

i only metnioned the nest as that was what was already in place. it was being removed and the installation returned back to a wired stat - so it was purely swapping one wired for another.

all that needed done was to convert the existing wiring back to 230V from 5V (which is what the nest used).

my system is CH only (UK combi boiler) so no hot water control.

i may consider rad TRVs at some point though.

• I think I'm in a similar boat to @chenks - Looking to swap existing thermostat for tado, just to get me up and running with a smart device for heating, and believe that the wired thermostat is all I need to sort out (along with the internet bridge). I am considering the TRV's as well... what additional consideration should be given to this system, compared to NOT have the TRV's?