Firmware release notes / changelog [firmware 85.1]

rafm5
rafm5 ✭✭✭
edited June 2022 in General Questions & Topics

Why at Tado° you are so offensive about releasing firmware release notes / changelog to the public?

What's new in firmware 85.1 just released for wired thermostats - this is nowhere to be found.

102 million usd put into Tado° and no dedicated resource for such an easy task?

@Germán; @Jurian

Best Answers

• Jurian
    Jurian | Admin
    edited June 2021 Answer ✓

Hello everyone,

In general, we do not communicate release notes for firmware updates. We see firmware as a means to get a software/app experience, all features are thus communicated when there are app updates.

The firmware usually contains the required underlying technical improvements to make these software improvements possible. In addition, most firmware releases also contain general bugfixes/stability improvements based on feedback from the community and bugreports from the field.

Because we have to release the firmware weeks/months before the release of new app features (to make sure nearly all devices are actually updated), we can't go into details about what the firmware contains.

We do staggered roll outs of firmware releases, hence it is completely normal that only part of your devices have received certain updates. All other devices will usually follow in the weeks after, and there is no way to speed that process up from your side. There is also no urgency to do so, since the additional functionality will still require an app update in most cases anyway.

If you experience any bugs/issues after a firmware release, always feel free to report it to our support teams using the chat on www.tado.com . This will then be forwarded to our development teams.

@GrayDav4276 @rafm5 I merged your topics to keep the discussion central.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Jurian

IMHO every project released to production should contain the change log.

Whether this is just a generic 'general bug fixes' or a very detailed description how otherwise IT can test and debug?

I understand that this won't generate a profit, but such a task falls under value add service.

Answers

• Tado_WhyNo2ndLoc
    edited May 2021

+1

I am having problems with mine - one has old firmware and works,

one has updated twice and is not working.

It wouild be so useful to know what they are "fixing"

• so this is maybe the answer at why for the past 2 days my Smart Thermostat is keeping my boiler on even when all TRVs are off

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2021
    Will someone from Tado please tell us (the users) what to expect from the latest SRT Firmware update which is slowly being applied to our Tado Smart Radiator Thermostats. I have 1 of 10 SRT's on this new Firmware, and have read that other users have also had a few of their SRT's updated.........I am unable to detect any difference so far.....so an explanation from Tado (@jurian) would be appreciated.

I also firmly believe that Tado should/could post in the Community Forum whenever (before) a Firmware Update is applied.......I would regard that as good customer support/service.
  • @rafm5
    This link does not actually answer my question....
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 it doesn't,, but shows to admins to pull the socks up and do something about it.

• Good idea.....but if I'm honest I suspect that no explanation will be forthcoming from Tado
  • Hi @Jurian
    I noticed that you have responded to a couple of threads recently.....do you think you could answer my question above please......I think that I may have worked it out....but Tado confirmation would be good.....TIA
  • Hi @jurian

Most of my SRT's have now received the 86.1 Firmware update.........and you didn't actually respond to my earlier request for you to clarify exactly what to expect from this Firmware update.........you conveniently merged a couple of different threads together......and then gave a response akin to a UK politician........in other words no actual substance worth reading.

We (users/customers) can't stop Tado from applying a Firmware update to our devices (obviously Tado is trying to provide an upgrade to its systems) however from a users viewpoint I feel that we should be informed beforehand what is going to happen to our devices.......and therefore what impact this update will have on OUR systems.

Or do you feel that Tado has the right to alter the operation of the systems of their customers without informing the users who have bought the Tado devices.

• Jurian
    Jurian | Admin

@GrayDav4276 Thanks for your further feedback. I understand you would like to get further insights/control. However, I do think that my previous answer clearly explains why we are not publishing any public change notes for firmware at this time. Furthermore, I have explained that firmware updates always come automatically and firmware updates are a requirement to receive the latest features, bug fixes and security updates.

How do we communicate changes:

Please check the Apple App Store or Google Play Store to see the change notes of the new app release. All new features are always communicated in those change notes.

Bigger new features sometimes even come with a mailing and/or a "new in the app" screen upon first opening the new version of the app.

• @jurian....many thanks for once again answering the question(s) raised by myself and others regarding the Firmware and also the App updates.....however you have once again applied a "Tado Filter" when reading our questions, which allows you to respond in a way that doesn't actually correctly address our issues.

I am a Tado Beta App volunteer, but as yet I have not seen any benefit of being a Beta tester.......can you answer me this simple question please.......how do I Stop being a Beta App tester.....I can't see how this helps me or other users or even Tado.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

Hi @Jurian

I acknowledge your response, but don't really agree with it.

Different operating system = different hardware / software = different changelog. Probably even different teams working on referent tasks, managed by different project manager. What's in AppStore is for iOS devices only. Why would an iOS developer be responsible for changelog for a wired thermostat, that's not their role.

If there is a glitch only with a wired thermostat why would you advertise it in the AppStore?

cc: @GrayDav4276

• Rob2
    Rob2 ✭✭✭

I think you should not over-estimate the size of the company and especially the development department.

When there really would be different teams (as suggested by Jurian when he writes "This will then be forwarded to our development teams") their actual output is disturbingly low. Not much has changed in several years, even in areas where it is very obvious that something has to be done.

Just looking at what we get and how much time that takes (new features, changes in user interface, etc) it looks like a single-person effort, maybe lately extended with a new guy to speed things up a bit.

• Jurian
    Jurian | Admin

@GrayDav4276 To remove yourself from the beta programme, you should go to the app store and then go to the BETA/Testflight settings. There you should be able to remove yourself from the beta.

@rafm5 Changelogs are not used for reporting glitches? We have a separate platform (status.tado.com) to report on major outages/bugs. You are able to subscribe to that service and even receive email updates.

If you feel that you have been affected by a bug caused by a firmware update/app update, I highly suggest you contact our support directly.

@Rob2 I have to disagree, In the past months the release cycle for new features has increased compared to last year where we had to focus on internal improvements to allow for rapid scaling of the total amount of connected devices. These recently introduced improvements come to mind: rechargeable support for VA02 smart radiator thermostats, reworked manual mode screen with 0.5 degree accuracy for Smart Radiator zones, quick actions for global control, a lot of improvements on the DIY step by step installation, ability to link/unlink rooms from the "heat source controller" etc..

Currently we are working on the smart schedule improvements.

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@Jurian My comment refers to your previous answer where you encourage people to use AppStore changelog.

And I state ''If there is a glitch only with a wired thermostat why would you advertise it in the AppStore changelog''

• As a recent user of Tado have to say I'm surprised that firmware info isn't shown, I've tried to find just a list of dates for firmware but to no avail.
    In terms of fault finding knowing when a new firmware was applied is essential, also knowing roughly what the fix/change was, is also helpful.
    If my device starts to have issues at the same time as a firmware update is apllied there is a strong possibility that the events are linked.
    By not making this information available it builds a barrier between Tado and the user.
  • I totally disagree with most of the comments above. Firmware in the devices should not impact the end-user’s experience.

If you’d like to report an issue, you can just mention the firmware version and tado can look into it. Release notes would not add anything. It would be more in the areas of ‘datagram xyz added to support blah blah blah’ or ‘change in calibration routine’ or ‘fixed issue with Opentherm and brand X/type Y boiler’ etc.

For the apps and website it may be useful (but other ways are used to communicate new functionality like the notifications within the app too) as changes to functionality or fixes of an issue (like the recent android temp compensation ‘loading’ glitch) may be worthwhile mentioning.

If I have my car repaired at the garage I also don’t really matter that they replaced some part (which is compatible and supported) which may differ a bit from the part that’s replaced. I don’t care about any ‘release notes’ for that.

• I completely agree with you @mojomoomoo..... Also the info provided in the App Store for an update is the usual "generic commentary" which doesn't actually supply any "real time" information.
    My Android App was functioning correctly/perfectly on 6.44.0. However I recently (yesterday) updated to 6.47.0. and now the Temperature Offset feature has stopped working (also reported in 2 other threads by various tado° users) this issue is "obviously" linked to the release of 6.45.0 and continues in all other versions since.......
    Come on tado°. get this corrected and release a new version.

Does anyone know how to go back to a previous App release version ?? 🤔
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭

@GrayDav4276 posted in your other reply on this topic.

• @GrayDav4276 It’s about the app, that’s not about the devices firmware. For the app I would say yes release notes are welcome. For firmware not sommich see above.

And about the Android bug, it is supposed to be fixed in 6.46.1 (but not yet in beta version 6.47.0 should you have that version)

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022

@Andreplusplus it seems 6.46.1 has been released, it just it may not have been pushed to you yet, you could manually install it from here.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Well @Andreplusplus
    6.47.0 has that bug/glitch

And please note that 2 or more previous threads have been combined together.
  • Yes, that’s the beta version, most likely to be updated this Monday. 6.46.1 should have the fix

• @Andreplusplus I've had cars where I'm told what the software upgrades/firmware will do, eg an anomaly on a sensor causing a missfire, to increase efficiency or to reduce wear.
    Computer firmware updates tell me what the firmware does eg increases compatibility with devices, makes a device more energy efficient or adds features, smartphone firmware might fix an issue with the Bluetooth. On one occasion I was able to pin a new Bluetooth error onto the just released firmware, my phone manufacturer acknowledged it was a new bug and a new release made within a week. Without this info we are in the dark. We can report an issue and report the firmware number, and plausible deniability comes into play, and your just told it must be a signal problem.
  • GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I have just removed myself from the tado°App (Beta)...........and then installed the latest (non Beta) App update (6.46.1) and Lo & Behold......the Temp Offset bug has gone...... 👍✔️
    What confuses me is why this bug was not sorted in the Beta version.....and why oh why was there no comments from tado° regarding this.
    I have not experienced any benefits of having the Beta version......and also I have not received any correspondence from tado° asking for my opinion on any Beta version updates, and also no notification about the next/latest Beta release.
    I will never try the Beta programme again........no benefit.......no contact......no clarification........no LIKEY 😧🙄

Anyway......now all working again, thanks tado° for all your input..... 😎
  • Rob2
    Rob2 ✭✭✭

"What confuses me is why this bug was not sorted in the Beta version.....and why oh why was there no comments from tado° regarding this."

Tado is not the only manufacturer where a Beta version and the feedback received from it does not really influence the release schedule. Lots of manufacturers treat a Beta version just like a staggered roll out. Beta users receive the version first, but all the regular users get it later no matter what bugs were reported in the Beta version. Those reports just go back to the development team but they do not hold back the release.

• A lot of comments are not commenting on the android software releases. This is completely different to firmware which is essentially software working inside the device eg TRV or receiver. The firmware is easier to release without bugs as the hardware is generally fixes except the boiler/heat pump etc .
    Android is much harder as there are literally hundreds of thousands of possible configurations. iOS is more simple as apple runs a tight ship in terms of hardware configs.
    When you agree to be a beta tester you agree that there may be new problems in exchange for receiving new functionality before other people.
  • Ok....fair enough !!

However, as I said previously, I have removed the Beta version of the tado° App.......and I will simply continue with the (hopefully) bug free version(s) in the future.

I will also continue to not "Auto Update" any new tado° Android App updates, until I'm relatively sure that there is no "bug" reports appearing in the Forum.

This might seem to be a "knee jerk" reaction.......I don't care, I'm sick of having my system (App functionality) compromised from a working position because of self induced tado° programming errors.