Wireless receiver slow blink

My wireless receiver has started a type of occulting blink (more on than off) on the wireless connection light. I can’t find anything that says what this means. Can anybody help? It started after I activated the heating boost function to all devices.

Answers

• No, it is a slower flash. Light mainly on but flashing off every few seconds. What we call occulting in nautical terms.

• what_a_tado
    what_a_tado ✭✭✭

Hi @Lindeborg, you will probably need to contact Tado.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Hi @Lindeborg
    Is it a Wireless Receiver or an Extension Kit ?? 🤔
  • Hi, it’s the wireless receiver.

• My wireless receiver has started doing exactly the same, in the last couple of week as well. Apart from the slow blinking everything else appears to be working as normal.

Before I contact Tado, did you ever figure out what the blinking meant?

• I never did find out the answer. Mine is only doing it from time to time. I think it is only when there is a communication problem with one or more devices. Seems to sort itself out after a while. It is the WiFi light and the fault light together in tandem. A slow occulting blink.

• Rob2
    Rob2 ✭✭✭

Maybe it indicates lost contact with the internet bridge? That would be common according to the forum posters (but mainly for radiator valves)

• hugbilly
    hugbilly ✭✭✭

I have noticed the same thing. I think it indicates loss of contact with the bridge because occasionally schedules have been interrupted when it's happening. I wish Tado would be more specific about the meaning of the slow blink . . .

• Mine is still doing this occasionally. Captured this video link below. At the time there was no error showing in the app. All devices seem connected, not least the bridge. Everything seemed to be functioning correctly. Not associated with any routine event. Hot water off at the time. Heating all in frost protection mode due to nice weather. Seems bizarre to me.

https://vimeo.com/557579038

• Same here. Everything seems to be working fine yet we have a device error flashing light.
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭

@Lindeborg and @steve999 I think this is the page you need:

Essentially it looks like your wireless temperature sensor and wireless receiver have lost connection with one another and the system is maintaining the previous known heating and hot water states.

• @cbd20 when you say the temperature sensor and wireless receiver have lost connection, what do you mean? Any suggestions would be great as I didn't know that all the temperature sensors (TRVs etc) had to be within a specified range of the wireless receiver.

I thought everything connected via the bridge and everything needs to be in range of that.

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    @fluffymitten probably poor wording on my part.

All devices connect to the bridge, however the wireless receiver only knows it needs to operate when it receives a temperature update from a temperature sensor (via the bridge) according to the link I originally added above.

So essentially if one or other device loses connection to the bridge, the wireless receiver cannot get the room temperature information.
  • Here is a response from tado:

It seems the Wireless Receiver is losing its connection with the Internet Bridge so it is showing the Wi-Fi and warning lights behaving differently

All your tado° devices are connected to your Internet Bridge. To ensure that your devices can communicate with each other and to our servers without any issues, it is important for the Internet Bridge to establish a stable connection.
    In our experience, moving and placing the Internet Bridge in an upright position can improve the connection of your whole tado° system
  • When doing this, please keep in mind the following:
    Make sure that there are no large metal objects (like refrigerators, TVs, or large fuse boxes) or other devices that use radio frequency (like cordless phones, radios, baby monitors, smart home devices, etc.) between your tado° devices and the Internet Bridge. Also, ensure that your Internet Bridge is not placed too close to a wall, in the corner of a room, or enclosed between wall and furniture.
    Make sure that the Internet Bridge is not positioned behind your router. If possible, use a longer Ethernet cable to move the Internet Bridge further away from the router.
    Make sure that there is a distance of at least 3 meters between the Internet Bridge and your other tado° devices.
    Make sure that your Internet Bridge is placed in a way that makes it equally far from all your tado° devices. If the current position of your router does not allow for this, try using a powerline adapter to connect the Internet Bridge to the internet.
  • Andrewmh8, many thanks for the detail, I think that's the cause of me seeing the WiFi and warning lights blink slowly on my wireless receiver also - the bridge is in a corner, next to the wireless router so makes sense. Could do with the Tado app telling you this is the reason though, I couldn't find anything till finding this thread! Thanks everyone (thumbs up)
  • Thanks Andrewmh8 from me too.

The builders doing my refurb fitted the extension kit to our new boiler during the summer but I only fitted the TRVs last weekend. I randomly get the dual blinking lights of the extension kit and an also losing connection to some TRVs intermittantly - oddly not the ones furthest away. The system is more or less working but a couple of times it's been running with nothing showing as demanding heat.

The ideal location for the bridge is going to take some finding! Surely most people are going to have their router in a less than ideal position based on where their phone line comes in? "Just connect it to the router" seems like it's going to iffy for many users.

• Hmmm....well the system seems to have worked OK for a couple of weeks but I was up during the night and happened to notice the slow flashing LEDs.

On system start-up this morning everything seemed to be OK and LEDs back to normal.

Then around 10AM (everything shuts off at 9) I became aware the boiler was running with no call for heat from any device. Shut if off manually and the LEDS went back to normal again. I find it very odd that it would start up unprompted - surely it should fail to off, not on?

I'm a bit stuck with the router and therefore the Bridge position really - it's a floor above the receiver and not very far away but the receiver is on the opposite side of a wall to a washing machine with microwave oven on top. They're not running during the night but may well provide some interference to the radio signal path.

• I have exactly the same problem. :s The “wireless” led is blinking very slowly. (On for 3 seconds then off for ½ second). More to the point, there is no heat 🥶
    I don’t understand how it can be a connection issue. The receiver is about 12m from the internet bridge, (two walls away). But there is also a Tado radiator valve almost next to the wireless receiver (so about 13m from the bridge) and this works just fine and says “Hi” when prompted from the phone.
    Kind of upset at having spent ~£900 on this system only for it to be really unreliable.

What I also don’t understand in the phone app is that is says the wireless receiver is “connected” even when I have it powered off ? I’ve given it 30minutes in case it is a really slow refresh rate but it is still convinced it is talking to the “unpowered” receiver.

Is there a diagnosis facility where we can interrogate the system in real-time to find out reception strengths etc. otherwise it is completely hit and miss in knowing where to try moving things to.
  • I am having the exact same issue as Bennyboos: every morning I wake up to the "will the heating be on" roulette.

This morning I heard the valves open, but all radiators were cold. The app was showing no issues at all (rooms&devices indicated all devices connected).

I went to check the receiver and it was had the leds for power, wifi and error slowly blinking. Once I power cycled the receiver, the heating started to work.

I agree that without a diagnostic tool or at least a log, it is impossible to know what is going on and what is causing a failure, making the whole experience extremely frustrating.

As much as I like tado as an idea, this unreliability is making me seriously consider to pack it and send it back. I never had any similar issues with the original Worcester radio receiver.

• I’m having the exact same issue however it’s only just started with mine, warning light on the wireless reciever and a very slow blink.

The issue I have is in running a very low flow temp air source heat pump so if tado fails and turns off it takes hours and hours to get the house back upto temperature.

Not really acceptable and might have to swap the system to something else.
  • I had this and disconnected the power supply on the bridge, reconnected it and it seems to have cleared it
  • I'm having the same issue. Repositioning the thermostat resolved it for now but it took some trial and error to figure it out. Unfortunately it's caused significant additional gas consumption as the connections was lost a number of times during the night, resetting the system to the last heating schedule from dinner time of the previous day - meaning we woke up to a very warm house.

I don't understand why connectivity is such a vulnerability of this product. I've placed the wireless receiver two walls away from the Internet bridge on the same floor but it seems to really struggle upholding this connection.
  • The more I read these discussions the more confused I get LOL

My Tado system covers two zones, one all the radiators and the other my underfloor heating at the back of the bungalow. It does not operate hot water usage as we have a Combi boiler.

My bridging unit is in my study right next to my Sky hub, there is no where else it can go due to the layout of the bungalow. We have fairly thick internal walls due to it being built in the 60's which until recently caused us huge issues. We have now got a Sky booster in the loft and now have complete Wi-Fi coverage. The bridging unit standing upright has a constant three lights, so no issue there.

The Wireless Receiver is naturally fitted right next to the boiler at the other end of the bungalow.

Up till now I have no issues but I have noticed that wireless light will blink slowly on the receiver unit even after I have reset it. But the heating works fine, shows no issues on the app, everything just works great. So what on earth is the flashing light?

• Oh I love the Tado operational aspect and want to eventually purchase some radiator valves when I can afford it.

But I do wish that Tado did a simple chart for all the items that show you what the lights mean and what you have to do to correct it. For instance one chart shows the hazard light on the Wireless Receiver as being on and all it tells you is that it is a hazard light. What good is that, nothing to tell you why or how to correct it that I can find.

Shame really for what I would say is a really good product.

• Have just started adding some STRV's to my tado wi-fi V3 system controlling hot water and heating system with hot water tank. I also live in a bungalow, as some previous commentators have indicated. I have been gradually adding STRV's to various rooms and checking that they were running OK. However, the latest STRV was located in a bathroom farthest from my router and internet bridge. This worked OK for a couple of days, then the app indicated that it had gone offline! I checked the wi-fi in that area which is provided by BT with repeater disks for all over wi-fi coverage. Internet bridge also showing all lights correctly so all seemed OK. So took off the STRV head and repeated pairing. This seemed to cure the problem.

However, a couple of days later I noticed that the pairing and fault lights were blinking slowly on the Wireless Receiver. On checking I then found that the same STRV had gone offline!. I repeated the repairing of that STRV to OK status and went back to the Wireless Receiver that was still showing the slow flashing pairing and fault lights.

I repeated the pairing procedure on the Wireless Receiver and that restored them to normal operation! Although I am very new to the tado system, previously a Nest operator, it would appear that the slow flashing of the pairing and fault lights on the Wireless Receiver is related to an offline problem in the Internet Bridge network, which does NOT reset when the offline fault is corrected, until the pairing of the Wireless Receiver to the Internet Bridge is repeated which seems to reset the lights to normal operation. Does that seem plausible to others who have this fault?

Having said all that, it may well be that the Internet Bridge in my set-up is too far from the STRV which went offline twice, causing the flashing problem, and that it can only be restored to more reliable operation by moving the Internet bridge closer to the 'center' of the network of the devices paired to it. This is one of the suggestions offered by tado for the problem of devices going offline from time to time?

• Has anyone worked out what the slow blinking light is trying to say? I have moved the bridge closer to the Wireless Receiver and the Temp Sensor, rebooted everything, moved the bridge even closer using a long ethernet and long micro USB cable almost next to the only other 2 devices I have in the house... still have the flashing light, I've even tried rejoining the network with the wireless receiver... starting to get annoyed with the lack of support on Tado!
  • We have had this issue too, with both the Wifi and the warning light doing the slow blinking. As far as I can tell, the heating still functions normally even when this is happening. I've tested individual radiators and when I demand heat the boiler will fire as normal.

We have one smart valve that is far away from the Internet Bridge and struggles to connect, but I haven't observed a correlation between that being off and the warning lights coming on. I've repositioned the Bridge today. It is now further away from our boiler, but it's no longer next to the hub for our smart lighting (which Tado advises can cause interference).

I've occasionally corresponded with Tado about it, but apart from the advice that's also on the website about optimally positioning the Internet Bridge, their take on it was that there are sometimes just some minor connectivity issues that don't really impact the system's operations, and basically there's nothing to worry about unless the system stops responding. Which is somewhat reassuring, but I'd have preferred if the warning lights for 'some trivial issues' weren't the same as those for 'comprehensive systems failure' 😅

• 48hrs after installation, now receiver showing slow flashing lights and at last finding this article. Boy - am I looking forward to my Tado experience! 🤣