Tado internet connection

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying a Tado V3+ Starting Kit for my old heating system working on ebus.

How is Tado connecting to the internet? Does it use Wifi ? I want to limit Wifi radiation at home.

Thank you

Answers

• Thank you rafm5.

So can we use Ethernet cable and disable any type of radiation?

Thank you!

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@Monikan Gateway / Router <- RJ45 (Ethernet) -> tado° Bridge <- 6LoWPAN -> thermostats

• Not sure what transmit power is used by Tado devices, but the maximum permitted for the frequency band will be 25mW. For comparison 2.4GHz WiFi is 100mW and 5GHz WiFi is 200mW for indoor use.

• My advice is to not buy tado products. I have them and got a lot of connectivity issues: big delay, some devices do not update firmware, window detection not working etc. I have a total of 11 tado devices, pay monthly subscription and support is useless, they don't want to help me, they even said to return the items and buy something else. here is the email:

Hello Paul,

thank you for contacting us. I kindly ask you to leave your feature request in the tado° Community, so it can be discussed and voted on by our community members. 

That feedback then helps us determine what we should change, and which features we should develop further.

We are currently doing the best we can to innovate and develop our products and services to the highest level that we can. However, this also means that implementations take time to be fully integrated and work properly along with all consumers. So if you are looking for a solution to all of these things now, it would seem best for you to choose something other than tadoº - as I cannot guarantee you at this very moment that there are no more delays in features like open window detection, for example.

Please have a look over the following link where you can start the returning process.

In case you have any more questions, do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Wishing you a lovely weekend.

Kind regards,

Wendy

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@PaulAidimireanu There are cons and pros having tado° If you have a large house it indeed can give you a real headache ;-) Old v1 thermostats will not support firmware from v2 models, hence they won't update. Window detection isn't working and it won't work well until it is a hardware solution. Pay monthly subscription isn't necessary. Support team won't help with everything, definitely not level one, they are very limited what they can do and there is plenty of known issues yet not resolved, so at least they won't give you false promises and recommend to return (hope for a full refund) Generally speaking, it works or not.

• Devices within 3-5 meters from the bridge are still not working. They are from the same generation, exactly the same two devices with different firmware. I didn’t say it’s necessary, i said it so that it’s understood how badly you are treated as a tado customer by the tado team even though you have 12 of their devices and pay monthly subscription.
    It’s not about false promises, it’s about making their current things to work properly!!! I am asking for connection. They advertise about energy savings, and you save energy yes, because your house is freezing because tado of a sync issue
  • I am trying to have a wired thermostat (V3+ filaire) communicate with our wifi router ~12 meters away. The thermostat would be wired only 70 cm away from the newly installed ELM Leblanc boiler. Single system with all 7 radiators going at once. Is the bridge necessary or could the Tado kit directly pick up the wifi? Could it be powered by the 24 volts available on the Leblanc? Thank you, Jim

• Tado doesn’t use wifi. The bridge is essential or the system won’t work. Not sure what you mean about the 24v - the bridge is usually powered from the router and the smart thermostat is battery powered.
  • At least, to its credit, the tado team is honest about the system’s shortcomings. Contrast with Hive where the philosophy seems to be admit nothing and continue peddling the same untruths . . .