Hot water tank control

Options
When the water tank is at temperature should the standard thermostat on the side of my tank tell the tado to click the hotwater to off and turn off the relay as when my hot water is on for 5 hours it runs the boiler that long!

Answers

• davidlyall
    Options
    The tank thermostat should turn off the pump and boiler when the tank reaches temperature. Tado had no way to know this has happened so will still show the HW as being on in the schedule. This would be no different with a traditional heating controller

You should check that the pump and boiler do shutdown when the tank reaches temperature as there may be a fault that is keeping everything running
  • Andy33
    Options
    I have used Tado CH control for over a year now. We have smart valves on all radiators except for the bathroom where we have a smart room stat. The only issue is control of the hot water, we have a hot water tank with a wired stat
    Tado controls the time set for hot water, but the stat controls when the boiler actually fires up
    Under Tado energy, does not include gas used for heating water
    To me a major disappointment with Tado system
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    If you want a more accurate idea of what you’re using and have a smart meter, third party apps like Hugo and loop work well.
  • wateroakley
    wateroakley ✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

During the summer, we’re only heating the hot water and the overhead of the automatic HW circulator preheating circuit. We simply track daily gas and leccy usage; and CET. That shows how much of the summer saving is down to our ability to adjust usage and timings with Tado. We also use Loop with the smart meter data.