Can I replace an existing wired thermostat with tado wireless starter kit + extension

Options

I have a honeywell wired thermostat controlling my s-type heating system. I want to replace/bypass it and use a tado wireless thermostat to control the heating with the wireless extension kit controlling the hot water system.

Do I need to buy additional bits to do this?

Do I need to return the wireless tado and buy a wired starter kit instead?

Best Answer

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes, you can replace a wired thermostat with a wireless one. The instructions from Tado may ask you to connect together the wires for the existing thermostat - bridging. You can put the wireless thermostat in the same location or move it to another room. The wireless receiver replaces the programmer.

Answers

• AlexH
    Options

Excellent @GrilledCheese2, thank you very much.

• MARYD
    Options
    Does that answer mean that I don't kneed to do anything to the wired thermostat. I already have the bridge as Phone is connected to control it. If I put a wireless thermostat in the hall can that override tge wired one in the lounge?
  • Scale70
    Options

I think its important to note that to swap a wired thermostat with a wireless one you have to replace the main controller (i.e. the CH/HW on/off timer box that's sometimes in your airing cupboard or near the boiler etc) programmer with a new Tado one, which may be too complicated for some....

• Andyc311
    Options
    Did you manage to connect your wireless thermostat? I Would like to do the same thing but the guided instructions don’t tell me what to do with the old wired thermostat
  • AlexH
    Options
    Yes, i used the extension kit to replace the programmer and then connected the tado thermostat to the same wires as the old thermostat. The app led me through all the connections.
  • Andyc311
    Options
    Sorry I don’t understand, I thought you were using a Tado wireless thermostat or did you end up using a wired one?
  • Hi Guys

Are there instructions anywhere on how to replace a wired thermostat with the wireless one. Ive gone through all set up processes, but as above: The instruction on what to do with the old wired wall thermostat is missing?

• johnnyp78
    Options
    Do you mean a Tado wired thermostat or an existing wired thermostat? Assuming it’s an existing one you can either unwire it from the boiler and leave it in place, or totally remove it.
  • It’s an existing wired thermostat. And yes I’d like to completely remove it. But I need instructions on how. As there are live wires here and simplying dumbing the wires is dangerous and impacts the boiler and stops Tado from kicking in.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    Yes, that’s why you need to unwire them from the boiler with the power to the boiler turned off. Otherwise you won’t be able to install a tado wireless receiver, assuming you’re using a relay rather than digital connection.
  • Jackool
    Jackool
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Hello everyone; please can someone provide a detail explanation on how/where to unwire the wired thermostat please? On tado how to video it says to simply bridge the cables after taking off the wired thermostat. I have done that but still unable to use the smart wireless sensor to control the CH.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    I would post some photos of your wiring, which you can do on the desktop version of the forum.
  • LastBit
    Options

Hi,

I am having this issue and have posted some photos in the thread below

Do I need to buy this extension now to replace the old wired controller?