Internet bridge stopped working (be warned)...

Options

Hello everyone,

Our internet bridge has stopped working! There are no lights on the device despite trying different cables and USB plugs/sockets. This has meant we can't connect to our devices making the whole system useless. Has anyone else had this or had any experience opening one of these up to fix?

I've been in touch with TADO who say the device, bought in 2018 as part of a kit, is out of warranty and I have to buy another one. This is £89.99! I'm very annoyed at this after already spending over £500 on this system. The bridge is fundamental to everything and not like a smart radiator valve or such, which is a nice extra thing to have. It is essentially a WIFI dongle that costs £10 to make (speculating but can't be much more) so there is no need to have it so high. It's not like you can just buy a bridge on its own and get much out of it.

Firstly it shouldn't really go wrong. I do however understand things do go wrong, but least be reasonable about it. I wouldn't mind if there was at least a way for it to be refurbished but that's not an option. Buy or bye. I can afford this but I'm simply not paying out of principal and will sell the system and look to something else. My loss, their loss, everyone's loss.

Sorry for the rant but wanted to let everyone in the community know my experience in case it happens to you. If TADO come to their senses about this then I will happily update with recognition of this.

Thanks, Simon

Comments

• Mikeys
    Options
    Nobody cares anymore and I agree it’s a disgrace. I think it’s a poor solution and would like to know alternatives.. hive?
  • hugbilly
    Options
    Hive; I wouldn’t . . .
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    Options

I see more posts where users claim ‘we spent x amount of money’  and are annoyed because something does not work or got faulty.

Customers use the price of a product as an indication of its quality, assuming that a higher price will mean that the materials and processes used to manufacture the product are superior, maintenance free or free of faults.

Imagine Robert Knok saying I paid $4.8 Billion for my super yacht and how even something can get wrong for the price I paid?

I agree it is annoying, but there is nothing you can do about it. Natural perversity of inanimate objects.

I wouldn’t abandon a product or a just because of one-off-incident. Consider all pros & cons and then decide.

• Summer
    Options
    Tado fails, how much more than other electronic devices? I don't know but they seem fully stocked on refurbished items and that tells you something. During warranty Tado is less likely to admit that any fault is caused by their devices, after your warranty expires they are more likely to suggest that you need to buy something new from them.
  • paul0000
    Options

@Summer I had an email from tado with a special on refurbished items the other day and had exactly the same thought as you :) - that said, my hardware has been running for about 2.5 years without any failures!

• Lozza
    Options

It is equally likely their refurbished products stock is less likely a barometer of faulty products, but a sign of a very good returns policy. I have a large house with thick stone walls, and Tado were sceptical that it would have sufficient range to work within the building. But they were happy for me to have a go and return the product if it did not work. I got very close to returning several times, and they were happy for me to do so but with the patient help of technical support we got the system working (there is no other product that offers smart radiator valves that would work in my set up so I persevered). Had I returned the system, that would have been 18 smart valves, 3 wired thermostats and two temperature sensors that would have been in perfect condition but would have had to be marked as refurbished.

• what_a_tado
    Options

In the UK, if you believe that something you have purchased is not fit for purpose, or of a satisfactory quality, then you can make a claim under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 for a repair, replacement or refund. However after 6 months of ownership the burden of proof is on you to prove that the product is faulty.

Details can be found at https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product-aTTEK2g0YuEy