Is tado° compatible with electric underfloor heating?

Hi!

I have radiator and underfloor heating zones. The underfloor heating zones are electric. Can tado° control my system?

Cheers!
IM

Best Answer

Answers

• Hi - I am looking to use Tado for electric UFH. I can find a product that does not need a temp probe installed into the floor. Did the OP or Tado know of electric underfloor heating systems/brands that can successfully be used.?
    Thanks
  • Hi - thanks for the response. I have also raised a ticket as I was hoping for much more info - but have had no joy despite having a simple question.

Having reviewed all electric UFH systems I can find in the UK, none of these fit the requirements of TADO.
    I know Tado cannot recommend, but no one at Tado appears to want to provide even the brands that can work with Tado eg which ones have a system that do not require a floor probe.

It appears to me that Tado state the system works with electric UFH, but in reality does not as they are unable to share any brand names.

I think they are hiding behind “no recommendations” but they do provide a list of boiler brands that work with Tado.

Simple question Tado (or anyone kind enough to help!) “what manufacturers/brands of electric UFH are you aware of that have systems that meet the three requirements you have laid out?

Thanks all !
  • Also having same challenge, would love some pointers. Just want to know a system to get that I can retrospectively connect to tado.

• How did this work out for you guys? Did you make any progress in your projects? Looking for same sort of solution, HomeKIT control of under floor heating. Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks

• Did any of you guys find a solution to this? It seems like a simple problem...

• DItto - I'd like to control just one room with electric UFH. It was suggested someone it would be possible via a relay, IE a tado sensor in front of a relay that is capable of switching in excess of 3amps.

May also need a separate independent floor probe in line as a safety cut off.

• I have bought the Danfoss electric underfloor heating. It's less than 3A and does not require a probe.

• Hi Mr Toom, did your Danfoss heating work with your Tado? And is the system otherwise working well for you? If both answers are yes, I’ll follow your lead here!
  • I've got it to work, its relatively simple;

A Tado Wired Thermostat is used to trigger a Contactor (relay) which then powers the heating mat via a Manual Underfloor Heating Thermostat (which has the required floor probe).

i.e. Tado controls the room temperature, the Manual Thermostat prevents the floor overheating.

I use the very cheap, generic Underfloor Heating Manual Thermostats (they usually have just a dial, an on/off switch and a floor probe which acts as a thermal cut out). This Manual Thermostat only receives power from the Contactor when the Tado calls for heat. The Manual Thermostat is not intended to function as a roomstat, its sole purpose is to act as a floor probe safety cutout, so it is just set permanently to a maximum and is tucked out of sight. (You can buy more expensive Manual Thermostats which are designed to control the temperature of the floor, these can be used instead.)

Safety considerations: One isolator should switch off both the Tado Wired Thermostat and the heating mat supply; the Tado Wired Thermostat should then be protected by a 3A fuse; the Contactor's load side and heating mat should be protected by an appropriately sized fuse/breaker. RCD protection is required for bath/shower room wiring; Tado Wired Thermostats cannot be used in either bath/shower room Zones 1 or 2;

On the Tado App you might want to consider using the following settings:

Settings>SmartSchedule>[your room]>Settings>EarlyStartOn (as some mats take a long time to heat up, Tado will work out how long this needs to be)

Settings>OpenWindowDetection>[your room]>OpenWindowDetectionOff (as UFH is less responsive than radiators there may be no benefit in using this feature)

Home>Geofencing>Home (because radiators respond much quicker than UFH you might find there's not enough time for your UFH to come up to temperature with geofencing)

I hope this helps.

• @TeflonJon Which underfloor heating system did you buy?

Would be really helpful to know.

Thanks

• davidlyall
    davidlyall ✭✭✭

I think it's fairly simple to summarise the situation with electric UFH

1. Tado does not support a floor probe so overheat protection must be handled independently e.g. as per @TeflonJon's installation
    2. Current draw less than 3A. Tado can switch the load directly
    3. Current draw more than 3A. Tado would switch a contactor (relay) which would then switch the actual load

In most cases, I think a contactor is going to need to be used as 3A is only around 700W of power (UK) which is a pretty small area of floor going by the typical UFH power rating of 150-200W / m2

I have electric UFH in my conservatory. Installed before I got Tado so I'm using a Warmup 4iE thermostat which handles both the air and floor readings. The unit and app/web interface is pretty clunky but it works well enough for my needs