Multiple internet bridge's

Options
Hello, I'm having trouble with keeping all my devices connected to the internet bridge. I was thinking why can't tado software team roll out an update so you can have 2 or more internet bridge's on the same network at different places in the house to expand your coverage.
15 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• Pete
    Pete ✭✭✭
    Options
    @Kev112
    This is a longstanding request, there are a number of threads already with pages and pages of comments.
    Tado have said they intend to do something one day...
  • vheckee
    vheckee
    edited February 2022
    Options

There is a way to connect 2 bridges on the same LAN and therefore connect the valves and thermostats to the nearest bridge.

There are 2 obstacles to overcome and a limitation to take into account:

1) The valves/thermostats of the 2nd bridge cannot (theoretically) influence the boiler. This means that it is always necessary to manage to switch on the boiler from a valve/thermostat associated with the extension kit via the first bridge. Only one extension kit can be connected to the boiler. Maybe someone will manage to find a solution to circumvent this limitation.

2) a bridge is linked to an email address. You therefore need 2 separate email addresses. Gmail allows to decimalize the same address and Tado does not realize this. So for Tado myemail@gmail.com is different from myemail+1@gmail.com. All these addresses are associated with a single gmail account: monemail@gmail.com. See Official Gmail Blog: 2 hidden ways to get more from your Gmail address (googleblog.com)

3) the Tado app only accepts one email address. It therefore takes virtually 2 GSM to control all the valves. There are a series of apps that allow you to use apps with multiple accounts/email addresses. The best known (on Android) is Parallel Space Parallel Space-Multi-Account – Apps on Google Play but there are others. For parallel space the "pro" version allows you to do without really intrusive advertisements and to create a shortcut for the split app (without having to enter parallel space each time). In this way we manage to manage all the valves through the 2 apps/bridges. I installed it like this and it works.

It is obviously necessary to couple (pairing) the valves on the 2nd bridge. This can be done without any problem with valves that were previously coupled with the 1st bridge.

• Chrisblindin
    Options

Hmmm, not being allowed two internet bridges is a major flaw in the Tado system. Love the system, have many radiators, 8 zones of underfloor etc etc and a well insulated house (foil backed in all walls and ceilings) making some rooms Faraday Cages.

Only solution I see is an update from Tado so I can have two bridges (preferred) or move some of the rad valves furthest away to a different manufacturer (Zigbee/Zwave) and move the control interface to Home Assistant where it can all be integrated.

Come on Tado, please sort this out! Spent tons on your products and its almost great... 🤔

• Pythagoras
    Options

vheckee said

"The valves/thermostats of the 2nd bridge cannot (theoretically) influence the boiler. This means that it is always necessary to manage to switch on the boiler from a valve/thermostat associated with the extension kit via the first bridge. Only one extension kit can be connected to the boiler. Maybe someone will manage to find a solution to circumvent this limitation"

OK, I haven't done this yet because I haven't worked through setting up a second bridge, but assuming that works...

Then add a second programmer a.k. Wireless Receiver (daft muppet name) to the second bridge account. provide it with Live and Neutral. So now it's boiler switched live is valid for valves on that second account. We need to AND that with the boiler switched live from the first programmer.

If they're both on the same spur, then we can probably just join the wires but a mains voltage switched mains voltage relay with two switching inputs would do it cleanly.

Now I just need to get my brain around your email hack.

• KeithFachwen
    Options

Hi vheckee,

I think I might need to add at least 2 bridges to my Tado system here at home so I can control all of my out of range TRVs.

Can you reassure me that if I add more Tado internet bridges here at home they won't interfere with each other and just work at an electronic / network level, so to speak.

I am happy to use different email logins and the Tado Web app to control these new bridges. I have already created the accounts, etc.

As we all probably know, If I try and use the web app on any phone or tablet device that already has the native app installed it will automatically choose to use that and my existing login.

Here on my desktop machine that can't happen 👍🏻

I'll continue to use the original setup to control the boiler, etc. from my phone.

Thanks