Firmware 96.1 and Apple HomeKit

Same device, same tado° app

• Apple HomeKit tab - Firmware 91.1
  • tado° Rooms and Devices tab - Firmware 96.1

¯\\\_(ツ)\_/¯

Comments

• @rafm5 interesting! My thermostat is 90.1 firmware. How did you get 96.1 firmware?

Apparently i am 2 firmware back,do this make my thermostat to be so slow and heat running for hours?

Maibe Tado have to announce when a new firmware is been released.

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

hmm, just checked mine, and 1 of them are the same out of firmware sync...

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@BOG73 Version 96.1 was pushed OTA just to one of the devices approx. 21st Feb. The others remain on 91.1

• Is it possible that tado° have pushed this Firmware version to some individuals with the tado° Beta App version, to check on the functionality of the Update before applying it for all other users ?? 🤔

If this is the case, why aren't the selected individuals made aware that this has happened, or even what to expect from this Firmware version.
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin

@rafm5

For the V3+ Smart Thermostat (with wiring capabilities; serial number starting with RU##) the newest public firmware is 96.1, the previous public one is 91.1. The new FW started being rolled out on Feb. 21st. Not everyone will get the new one at the same time. There tends to be a significant delay, for safety purposes. We obviously test new FW, with groups of devices of increasing size. First a few in the lab, then a few hundred in beta in the field, then a few thousand normal devices, then a significant percentage, and so on. There's usually 1 week between each step. So when some kind of bug appears we can catch it as soon as possible. Before it impacts a large number of customers.

So what rafm5 experiences is normal. Both of his devices will be on 96.1 soon, automatically.

@BOG73

See above. You'll get it soon. 90.1 was the latest version for the wireless thermostat (serial SU##) until a few days ago.

@andyblac

90.1 is normal for now, see above. I suspect you'll get an automatic update next week or the week after. Not sure about the Homekit part.

Do note that the latest firmware version numbers are not always identical when comparing different types of devices. The newest version for the Wireless Receiver is 94.1, for example.

• @Rob what is new on the latest firmware?

On android or apple we get some info about latest update and reason why the specific update is done,can we get this info for Tado?

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

Thanks @Rob, great weight off my mind ( ͡º ͜ʖ͡º)

Also, Apple HomeKit settings after a few hours have been updated and both firmware versions are now identical!

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

Good morning,

Firmware 96.1 is now being rolled to all devices.

If Apple home app gives you a different version to what's in tado° app, restart your bridge.

• BOG73
    BOG73 ✭✭

@rafm5 have you observed something different since your thermostat been updated to 96.1?

Thanks!

• Hi @Rob
    Are you able to tell us what we can expect to see with FW 96.1......
    @rafm5.....have you observed anything
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

Morning gents,

I am sorry to say, but no major difference to 91.1 from a 'normal' user perspective.

Since there is no detailed changelog it's difficult to say :-(

Thanks

• @rafm5

What I still find very disappointing.....is the fact that, as a user, I received the FW updates delivered by tado°.....but tado° does not inform the users regarding details of the FW update.
    Therefore if my system is "showing" an issue, I am unable to ascertain if this is because of a "glitch" from the latest FW update (which tado° would obviously correct quickly) or do I actually have a "fault" that I need to report.
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin
    edited March 2022

@GrayDav4276

If I were to post the changelog it would lead to more questions than answers. I'm also not supposed to because of that reason. However, I can post the log for the wireless receiver as I have it at hand. Just to show you the issue. So please don't ask me about what it means :)

- Relay: Enforce minimal on/off times
    - Fallback: Provide all params to guarantee the start of the bus-driver
    - kmbus: Decrease the response time by logging after replying
    - CPE: Disable PID scaling by default
    - Vaillant: Report F.00
    - Ubabus: Ready for remote monitoring.
    - Fallback: Check previous temperature after boot

Most of these things are about specific bus interfaces. Better compatibility, more features, things like that. Fallback is the state a device is in when it loses connection with the Internet Bridge.

• Hi @Rob
    Many thanks for the response.....I'm not suggesting that tado° publish the change log.....and I agree that this would cause confusion with a lot of users.
    However why can't a post showing the reason for the FW update in "Layman's language" be a possibility.

In my opinion, our tado° systems "frequently suffer" annoying little "glitches" after FW or App updates.....it would be nice to be able to understand if my system was/is faulty or is suffering from an UPDATE generated ISSUE.
    If it's not possible for tado° to achieve......so be it.
  • andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022

checked my, Wireless Thermostats this morning there still on 90.1, even though I have tried doing a force firmware check. I did not even get the 91.1 update what gives ?

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@andyblac This post is about Wired Smart Thermostats - serial numbers starting with RU##.

• andyblac
    andyblac ✭✭✭

@rafm5 so the Wireless Temperature Sensor latest firmware is still on 90.1 ?

• @andyblac

Correct..... 90.1
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin

I had expected the wireless thermostats (SU###) were getting the same update at the same time, as they are fundamentally the same as the V3+ wired thermostats (RU###) with the exception of the stripped wiring capabilities. It seems the wireless thermostat is not getting this version of the update (yet) though. I see exactly 10 devices in the field with a FW version >90.1, which means it's in an early testing phase.

So, to conclude, the wireless thermostat still being at FW version 90.1 is to be expected.

Talking about all these numbers and features is confusing and not very constructive, which is why we tend to not mention this topic :)

@GrayDav4276

In layman's language, the FW updates are about increasing stability, compatibility and adding features. With the exception of adding Child Lock for radiator thermostats and a few other examples, few of these are very noteworthy on their own and mostly lead to an incremental increase in quality. Many small steps that lead to, over a longer period of time, a much better product.

FW updates should never lead to a faulty product. If you have an issue with your devices, whether possibly related to a FW update or something else, it's best to contact support and/or post about it here. If it's just one person it's probably a coincidence, when many people start having the same issue at the same time, there is a structural issue. We tend to find out about these by ourselves, but we're only human and when we receive a clear signal from you guys we might be quicker in pinpointing the issue and dealing with it.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Hi @Rob
    Thanks for your comments.
    I fully understand that any tado° FW Update is obviously intended for the overall improvement of the system functionality.
    However......on some occasions in the past FW Updates have inadvertently caused issues with our devices. (I don’t have a list of these issues) and generally any issues have been dealt with by another FW Update..... 👍

More frequently though, certain App Updates do cause our Apps the odd glitch or two......again, in most cases these are resolved by an "UPDATED" update !!

I'm also fully aware that App Updates will only cause a problem for specific brands of hardware eg IPhone or specific types of Android phones.
    So..... I don't expect tado° to get it right "1st time/everytime" that's simply not reality.
    But, to reiterate my previous comment/observation......it would be Nice if tado° could/would indicate what an App update was expected to achieve......I have often tried to check before actioning the App Update, only to see "No information provided by......." or simply the generic terminology "various UI updates......" neither of which actually tell me anything.
    I currently have a minor App issue which happened about 3 App Updates ago....but is still happening now. I have been in contact with @Jurian regarding this and a ticket has been opened but it's at the bottom of the list for investigation. As it's only a minor issue....this time delay isn't a problem.
    I still feel that tado° could be a little bit more transparent regarding any Updates to our systems.
  • EMS2 protocol is not compatible with Tado. Works only with On/Off.

I need change log to know if EMS2 will be enabled!!!!

• Rob
    Rob | Admin
    edited March 2022

@bruceas

You are right. We do support multiple EMS busses, but EMS2 is not one of them. However, we are strongly considering supporting this in the future. It is a rather relevant bus not just for conventional boilers but also for heat pumps, and as such extra interesting to us. This is not ticking a few boxes though, the implementation of this bus is relatively high effort. Don't expect anything within the next few months.

This indeed would be an example where a firmware update would enable compatibility.

• 97.1 is out!

Changelog????

• For the Tado Smart AC firmware v97 and after that v98 have been released. As the Smart AC is basically a glorified homekit enabled IR blaster, release notes would be appreciated and quite simple to describe. I really want to know what is changed, and have the abilty to decide the moment to upgrade myself seeing the previous issues with Homekit. How can an average customer even know there are potential issues with a firmware, and inform Tado as requested by @Rob, if it is done complete under the radar?

• rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭

@bruceas So far, the only noticeable change found is shorter dazzle animation time on wired thermostats.

• What is happening regarding the new wireless controller and compatibility with Worcester Bosch 4000 for digital connections to enable modulation control