Energy IQ brain fart

be1t0n
be1t0n
Energy IQ appears to have had a bit of a wobble today. And suddenly jumped from showing around £30 of use since the 12 to over £400. Any idea what May have caused this? To clarify…..last reading entered was when Tado was installed on 12th Feb. Yesterday usage was around £30

Comments

• Similar issues, mine is still stuck at February and showing a linear graph rather than a usage graph
  • In fact between 12 Jan to 2 March, I’ve used 77m3 gas including heating, hot water and cooking but this Energy IQ tells me only in Feb I’ve used 75m3 gas for heating, not very high IQ in there, pretty useless now
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭

Mine has gone completely mental since the option to record usage in kWh was added. I've been maintaining daily updates since October, using m3, and switched to using kWh starting on 1st March. I understood that I would lose my historic data by switching, so I went back and submitted my historic data as monthly totals. For March I've resumed daily figures in kWh.

So far in March I've used and recorded a total of 293 kWh, based on smart meter readings. That's £9.70 excluding 5% VAT and daily standing charge.

Just look at the figures from Tado - laughable!

And why do I have to re-input the charge per kWh every single day? I'm on a fixed tariff for the next 18 months. This is needlessly tedious. What were they thinking?

And I can't even provide direct feedback because the text input field refuses to pop up my android keyboard, so I can't type anything. All I can do is to give a one star rating, which would be generous given the current state of affairs.

• yours is good, at least shows something. Mine is showing exact the same curve of past month, not a millimetre difference. And taco support asks me to send past month graph as well as if it is a separate screen.
  • Btw, my curve

And Kristina from support thinks nothing is wrong with this. Well she also said she cannot see past month and the she said the curve is not the same. Also taco thinks. I have spend 76m3 gas for heating but meter says I have spent 73 for combined heating, hot water and cooking :)

The support is joke and the feature is just...

• cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭

@eezytiger mine has got completely screwed too, and I haven't even changed the units since I started.

It was always wrong on my usage but was at least vaguely in the right sort of ball park. Checking today though and it's changed to claim that last month I used way more gas than I'd use in an entire year!

Something is definitely broken.

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭

@cbd20 I gave up with it and have returned to using meter readings in m3 instead of "billing" in kWh. Normal service has been restored. By which I mean that the data is still wrong, and far less useful than figures from my supplier, but at least it's not so absurdly wrong as it was a couple of days ago.

TBH I'm not sure why I bother with it at all. Perhaps it's my charitable nature to share my data with Tado. But if I want facts instead of guesses I'll stick with my supplier data.

• This has never been right from the start.......and I recognise that tado° is still developing this feature.

However, as tado° will never be in a position to know our baths/showers and general hot water usage......not to mention our cooker type (gas or electricity), then any figures that tado° produce for "Heating Usage" and "Annual/Monthly" comparison can only ever be a GUESS........there is no clever algorithm that can possibly provide accuracy for this feature.

I would prefer that tado° just used the "gas usage" figures to provide "gas usage comparisons" and not attempt to provide information that can't possibly be verified.

• Same here, it shows I’ve use 387 m3 (£140) in eight days, don’t even use £50 in a month.
  • cbd20
    cbd20 ✭✭✭
    @eezytiger my meter readings have always been in m3. The graph just happened to be displaying in kWh. Agree that it's always been a pretty questionable feature in terms of its accuracy, but now the maths has gone completely whacky, it's even more useless.

Interesting to hear that yours has fixed itself by toggling back to m3...
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    Haha! Mine has apparently not completely fixed itself. As we approach the end of March my Tado heating estimate is higher than my total gas consumption. So rather than deduct an allowance for hot water, showers, cooking etc they've actually invented a phantom usage on top of everything. This is despite diligently entering daily meter readings correctly.

Unfortunately I seem to be missing the icon to insert an image, but the figures are....

Total March gas consumption from supplier data = 914 kWh.
    Estimated heating consumption from Tado = 1,006 kWh.

Now, sure, They are not far apart, but, given that they have the daily meter readings, I don't see how they can produce an over estimate. Our summer gas use without heating is around 130kWh per month, so a more accurate estimate for heating in March would be around 914 - 130 = 784 kWh, not 1,006 kWh.

If Tado wants to include costs of running the boiler pump I'd estimate an additional 11 kWh of electricity for the month, so really neither here nor there
  • FatihAyoglu
    edited March 2022
    Very same issue. According to my meter, which I think is very accurate, I’ve used 64m3 gas for heating, cooking and hot water. However according to tado I’ve used 73m3 gas for heating only. (For last 30 days)

What’s shocking is, they sell this as a feature to customers and we are paying for it 😂
  • I have cancelled my "Auto Assist" subscription......and the plus side of doing this is that tado° doesn't show the information any more, which removes my temptation to look at the totally inaccurate figures that this feature produces.
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    I think I've uncovered at least part of the problem with this feature. The maths is completely wrong.

Today is midsummer day. The heating has been off throughout June. Yesterday, in order to cycle the valves, I turned the boiler off and set Tado to boost mode. Of course there was no heating and my meter reading did not budge between yesterday and today. Tado has figured that I used over 24 kWh of gas for heating.

Even if you forgive them my deception of turning the boiler off, the maximum output of my boiler is 24 kW, but boost mode only lasts 30 minutes, so burning 24 kWh during boost mode is impossible.

On top of that, I've range rated my boiler down to 9 kW, so in 30 minutes the most it will deliver is 4.5 kWh, not the 24 kWh of Tado maths.

And, of course, the true burn was 0 kWh. I have provided feedback about the failings that have been so strongly highlighted by this experience.

A summer mode would certainly help, but that still leaves a catastrophic error in their assumptions and calculations.
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I was unable to attach an image to my post above, from my phone, and I can't edit one into my reply so I'll have to reply to myself to include my latest EIQ graph....

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    In my personal opinion (which I have stated a few times) this feature is no more than a "sales ploy" to attract new customers......there is absolutely no way that whatever system/algorithm/assumptions tado° uses can ever provide an accurate estimation of a users "Heating Consumption".....the whole thing is just bull####.
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭
    Well this is interesting. As well as my recent feedback to Tado with the results above I have also had a ticket open, with periodic exchanges by email, for several weeks. Today I received an email from Tado to say that they'd made some changes and invited me to check. Sure enough there was a new app version to download, so I immediately checked out EIQ.

Well, bugger me! My heating cost estimate for June has been adjusted to 4.49kWh from the ludicrous 24 kWh a couple of days ago.

This figure would now be mathematically correct - if the boiler had been turned on. Unfortunately the boiler was off, for valve maintenance, so they're still wrong, but at least they're really trying.

So, positive news. The question now is whether their calculations would be just as good if I adjust my boiler output. I somehow doubt it.
  • eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭

Again I've had to reply to myself from my tablet because there is no option to attach images from my phone, but here is my revised estimate from the latest Tado app....