Individual Geofence Option

Comments

• +1 Seems pretty straightforward to have an away status per person and choose per room which people should be away to switch to the away schedule

• I didn't know about this forum prior to purchasing Tado, and in my ignorance I simply assumed this functionality would have been thought of and implemented on day 1, why would it not?
    This is what would allow the system to achieve excellent heat management and the home become more energy efficient,  in turn save on our energy bills.
    It would be useful for each user to select each zone they want geofencing to work for, opposed to the whole home or nothing.
    However, looking at the data this idea was first posted, it appears this won't be happening, certainly not any time soon!
    Come on Tado, this would significantly improve your system!
  • I would need this Individual Geofence Option as different room need in or out differently.

dont know if this been progress since some many people ask for this???

• +1

New working patterns for a lot of us mean changing days in and out of home/ office. This room by room control of geofencing would make life easier for a lot of homes and shared apartments!

Come on Tado - do it! Please.
  • I have done this in Hubitat home automation hub. As tado can be controlled through api, i turn off heating in the office when i leave and back on when i get back.

But it would make much more sense to manage within tado's system.

• A really necessary feature if Tado marketed as a money saving/ energy saving device.

A UI composed of a user space and room modules. So for example all rooms have a module (as visually exist at the moment). Each user can copy and drag a module into their space.

So Peter can drag 'living room', 'bedroom 1' and kitchen into his graphic space. Maggie can drag 'living room' 'kitchen' and bedroom 1 into her space. Sally can drag 'sally bedroom' and 'sally bathroom' and 'living room' into her space. and so on. each with separate geolocation only Sallys rooms are heated if only she is home...

• I want this too Tado. My wife uses one room in the house exclusively as an office. If she is out or away I wish this would stop the heating from coming on in the office when not required...

• jamese8
    jamese8 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

What is pertinent about individual room geofencing (and grouping rooms) is that:

• its not just a handy feature - its a cost and energy saving feature which was the original premise of Tado. Recent gas price hikes are pertinent here, as well as the environment.
    • though may seem like a complication, once set up its a simplification ie. the automatic control of the heating - again the original premise of Tado making the economic control of heating simple. (Remember Tado didnt even have a schedule in its early guise!)
    • apart from those who want a very simple system, it has fairly global appeal - good for those who have kids who are out or away at times different to adults, and good for those who live with other adults.
    • the creation of 'Rooms' is missing half its functionality without room geofencing - and again geofencing was the original premise of Tado, so good if geofencing kept up to speed.
    • the economics of smart radiator and additional room thermostats is pretty poor without room geofencing
    • any implementation could sensibly go hand in hand with room grouping, and ability to choose room admin rights (excellent for kids, lodgers, guests)- so handily encompasses some other feature requests.
    • Room geofencing is a foundation stone that would make Tado a very complete and fully functional automatic system
  • jamese8
    jamese8 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

this thread is also discussed in another thread...

'Individual Geofence Option'

• jamese8
    jamese8 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021

What is pertinent about individual room geofencing (and grouping rooms) is that:

• its not just a handy feature - its a cost and energy saving feature which was the original premise of Tado. Recent gas price hikes are pertinent here, as well as the environment.
    • though may seem like a complication, once set up its a simplification ie. the automatic control of the heating - again the original premise of Tado making the economic control of heating simple. (Remember Tado didnt even have a schedule in its early guise!)
    • apart from those who want a very simple system, it has fairly global appeal - good for those who have kids who are out or away at times different to adults, and good for those who live with other adults.
    • the creation of 'Rooms' is missing half its functionality without room geofencing - and again geofencing was the original premise of Tado, so good if geofencing kept up to speed.
    • the economics of smart radiator and additional room thermostats is pretty poor without room geofencing
    • any implementation could sensibly go hand in hand with room grouping, and ability to choose room admin rights (one step up from the child lock in that users would have rights only for assigned rooms)- so handily encompassing and enhancing some other feature requests.
    • Room geofencing is a foundation stone that would make Tado a very complete and fully functional automatic system

• owawev
    owawev
    edited January 2022

I like Tado because it helps me use the heating only when needed, saving me energy. Tado could help me even better if it would allow me to switch off the heating in one specific room - my office - while I am not at home, while heating the other rooms in my house as usual - because there are other people in my home.

So, the feature request: allow users to specify something like the "owner(s)" (or "users") of a room. When the owners/users are not at home, set the heating in that room to the "away" temperature.

• jamese8
    jamese8 ✭✭✭

a very common request. About time it was realised really...long list of replies on that discussion so worth adding you name to the people asking for it!😀

• I’m not seeing this exact idea elsewhere (apologies if I’ve missed) but think it has value.

Currently all rooms turn on (schedule dependant) when the first person gets home and off when the last person leaves.

For families (or in a flat share), however, this results in rooms getting heated even when the person / people using that room are not home.

It would be good to have Home / Away mode being configured differently for different rooms (with only a subset of people triggering home and away for that room.

For example, we have a nephew that lives with us. Last week he went away for a couple days to visit his parents. His room kept getting heated, however, when lever my partner and I were home (and, since I work from home, this is most of the time).

It would be good to have location settings for his room be allowed to be configured to only be triggered when he is home vs when everyone is.

This would led to less wasted energy / more efficiency.

Hope all that all makes sense.
  • Apologies for the typos. Typed this on my phone.
  • Hi @Grimwanderer

This has definitely been requested by many people .........please carry out a search and "upvote" an already open thread.

• I did a search but the only results they came up (from what I can see) were asking for an overhaul of smart scheduling or adding copy / paste functionality to scheduling etc. That may, however, be cause I was struggling to think of a concise search phrase that made sense. Lol.
  • Rob
    Rob | Admin

I merged a few of these topics into the one with the most votes.

• Upvoted. Still disappointed that after all this time this hasn't been implemented yet.

• really is about time this was implemented.

as I have mentioned, with gas bill going up by thousands, fuel saving is what all efforts should now be focused on..

• It took 3 to 4 years to implement child lock for Tado, it was promised in 2017 and was delivered in 2021. So they don't do anything

• How is this not a thing? I honestly assumed, based on their marketing, that it was customisable in this way already.

I'm home all week and my office is outside, so the rest of the house doesn't necessarily need heating when I'm around.

If my wife's home, she's either in her office inside the house, or in the living room, kitchen etc so there's much more demand for heating.

Currently, we're having to remember to change the heating schedule manually on the occasional days she's at home, so she doesn't sit here shivering all day. This is exactly the kind of issue I thought Tado was supposed to resolve.
  • I bought the Tado system under the impression that this is what it did. I’m very disappointed. Please make this happen. In a house with three kids with various clubs and schedules and while I work from home (keeping the ‘Home’ mode active in an otherwise empty house) it’s just not efficient.
  • Hi All,

I’m glad to find that this is a topic of conversation, I’m disappointed that tado is taking so long to implement this brilliant functionality.

Currently I have to schedule when certain members of the household will not be home, and therefore, not require their room heating. Quite often, my schedule doesn’t fit theirs.

Making individual thermostats react to an individual’s geolocation would give tado a compelling USP.

Come on tado, make it happen!
  • Ada this due the current gas prices. It is a must

• Totally agree. This item is also suggested and widely supported in the German and Dutch community, so Tado get going ...
  • I would like this for the individual bedrooms and working area.

Is there a roadmap available for what is coming or planned?

• I have Tado in a office building which many rooms are empty. Individual geofencing would mean I only heat offices in use.