The Tado internet bridge drastically slows down my internet connection

Options

Hello,

I've bought the Tado Smart Thermostat – Starter Kit V3+ and a Tado Smart Valve, however, if I have my internet bridge plugged in, my internet speed drops. I have a 900MB/s (DL) to 300MB/s (UP) fibre connection. If the bridge is unplugged, my speed and latency is stable at 3ms, but when I connect the bridge for just a second, I suddenly get a latency of 30ms and a speed of 50MB/s. There are two switches between me and the modem, do you think that could be the root of the problem? I've never had any issues with other internet bridges like the Yale Access Bridge or Philips Hue Bridge.

Comments

• GrilledCheese2
    GrilledCheese2 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Options

I would start by looking at the negotiation speeds for all ports on both switches and the modem. The default setting is normally 'Auto'. Look at the negotiated speeds before and after the bridge is connected. You may need to manually set a port speed. The bridge is slow at only 10M half duplex.

• dotmiracle
    Options
    Both of my switches are unmanaged, is there anything I can do besides that? Without having to buy two new managed switches.
  • GrilledCheese2
    Options

In the absence of a management interface a network analyser tool can be used to study the traffic on your network. Wireshark is the best choice, and it's free, but it's a tool designed for network professionals. There used to be some tutorials on YouTube, but it's still going to be a lot of effort to capture and analyse packets of data.

• MichielTado
    Options

@dotmiracle This is probably caused by a duplex mismatch because auto-negotiation is failing between the Tado bridge and the switch, causing multiple collisions and general network slowdown.

A solution might be buying a cheap managed switch like the TP-link TL-SG105E that costs around 19 euro, and has the ability to manually set the ethernet speed on a switch port to 10Mbit half duplex (which connects to the Tado bridge). It can also do IGMP snooping. You only need one new switch.

• DeepThought
    Options

For what it's worth I have had a similar issue with a Tado bridge directly connected to my BT Smart Hub 2, though mine was a more intermittent problem where the speed would drop from its usual 4-500mbps down to maybe 20-30 for a period and then come back to normal a while later. This seemed to be happening several times a day and started when I installed my bridge.

I have instead connected the bridge to a spare port on a separate switch (a very cheap TP-Link LS1005G that I picked up for a little over £8 from Amazon) and this appears to have resolved the issue.

Oddly the issue was only affecting WiFi speed while the wired connection remained stable so I can't rule out that just physically moving the bridge further from the router may have had an impact.

• DanA
    Options

I'm having the same problem - with BT Smart Hub

Just after setting up my Tado system - BT wifi went haywire. Which is to say, the Wifi itself was connected to the internet - but no device in my house could connect to the hub.

Spoke with BT support - they said some issues had been reported with the "smart setup" feature of the BT Hub - so they disabled this remotely (in fact you can do it yourself I later discovered on BT Hub manger).

This seemed to work for about 2 weeks - then the same issues re-occured. This time, "smart setup" was already disabled. I called BT again, and they noticed there was lots of congestion on my wifi system and instigated an auto channel swap or something - but that made no difference.

So they've booked an engineer - who'll be here in a about 2 weeks time ! Also reached out to Tado support but no reply yet.

I've bought a router switch as suggested above - it arrives tomorrow so I'l see if plugging the bridge into that - and that plugging the switch into my hub - makes any difference. Will update once I have an outcome.

My wife and I both work from home - so we rely on a good internet connection internally to our devices. If the "switch hack" mentioned above in this thread doesn't work and the engineer is unable to make any difference, then the Tado system is going back to the manufacturer.

Any thoughts or comments most welcome - I will update in due course with outcome of changes/engineer visist.

• DanA
    Options

OK - update.

Problem solved.

I got a TP Link Managed 5 Port Ethernet Switch. I bought mine from Argos because I needed it same day - but you can get it from Amazon as well - it retails around £15 - £20.

NOTE - This is a managed switch that has auto negotiation - it's not simply a dumb switch/splitter.

Plugged the Ethernet Switch into a power source and switched on. Then connected the switch to my BT broadband hub via a spare ethernet cable I had lying around. If you don't have an ethernet cable you'll need to buy one.

Then plugged the Tado Bridge into the Ethernet Switch using the ethernet cable that came with the starter pack (again, if you've lost this for any reason - any ethernet cable is going to do the job).

That's it - that's all it took. Internet rock solid, no slow down, Tado working well - all internet connected devices working well - problem entirely sorted.

Hat tip to MichielTado (above) for the original suggestion - the credit for this fix goes to him.

All I have done here is confirmed it works !

• benfs
    Options

Hi, sorry to resurrect a thread, but I am having a similar problem with my BT Smart Hub 2 and Tado internet bridge. I was seeing massive slow downs on my network, even just internally, rather than out on to the internet. I have bought the TL-SG105E managed switch, plugged my Tado bridge into the switch and set it to 10Mbit half duplex (along with my Hue bridge...), and plugged the switch in to the smart hub. Still seeing intermittent slowdowns, basically outages, multiple times a day.

Is there anything else you can suggest checking?

• TonyF
    TonyF
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Just installed tado and the bridge was plugged directly into my BT HUB . This had a drastic impact on speed and also on some devices a short drop out . I saw one comment above that used a switch into the router . I just happen to use powerline adapters at home and using one of these for the Tado bridge seems to fix the issue also.
  • Kw0616
    Options
    Thank you for this! Had same problem with new tado and BT WiFi. WiFi stopped working altogether or drastically slowed. I bought a managed switch from Amazon and everything is working now. Appreciate the advice on this thread.
  • Diggedy
    Diggedy
    edited January 12
    Options
    Just came across this by chance. I replaced my bt wifi mesh network last year because I was experiencing massive slow downs to the point it was unusable. I replaced it with eero and for the most part it was fine.

Recently I've had my speeds dropping down from about 1000mps to 20mps for no reason and only seemed to stop when I disconnected an old bt hub which I'm using as a WiFi extender for a 2.4ghz network.

Sure enough the tado bridge is plugged into this hub so now I'm thinking that's been the issue all along. Surely this is something that tado need to deal with?
  • wateroakley
    Options

I’ve not had problem with a Tado internet dongle plugged into a BT or EE hub. There are many potential issues that could be a problem that should be eliminated before blaming the Tado dongle.

• mwoboyle
    Options

I have recently bought the tado v3+ starter kit and a few smart TRVs. I had exactly the same set of issues… radiators going on and offline randomly and severe buffering of TVs that were on the same portion of my network as the tado bridge. I share the house with a couple of technophobes, so you can imagine how much grief I’ve been getting when we can’t watch TV.

Thanks very much for the managed switch suggestion - it seems to have sorted the problem instantly. I also got the TP-Link switch from Amazon (£19.99). It’s early days, but it seems everything is working perfectly now. My house is quite old, with solid internal walls, but all the radiators are now connected and appear to be working well. The slowdown on my network also seems to have been resolved.

I, like others, am very disappointed that Tado has not sorted this issue or provided some clear guidance on how to sort it yet. I chose tado as I assumed German engineering would be top notch.

• TonyF
    Options
    Hi alternative to a managed switch is a powerline adapter . I use this and it's nicely out of the way .