Most Cost Effective System Upgrade Options

Having initially bought the Smart Radiator Stat 3B+ Starter Kit for appraisal, now trying to work out the most cost effective options to expand the system without device duplication should I decide to proceed.

I assume that the "Extension Kit" is now obsolete and I would need to add a "Wireless Receiver" to implement boiler/MOV control, replace existing programmer?

The wired or wireless thermostat kits both include an internet bridge which I already have, am I correct in assuming that the "Add on Wireless Temperature Sensor" is the same device as per the kits and as such buying this/these as required would avoid duplicating the internet bridge?

Obviously additional radiator stat's will have to be added as required, what's the most cost effective way to buy these?

Answers

• eezytiger
    eezytiger ✭✭✭

I won't try to answer the finer details of your question, but regarding pricing, I bought my Tado components from Amazon in the UK. Prices there can vary significantly, but prices for new items can often be less than refurbished prices from Tado.

For example, just look at the price history for a single radiator thermostat here....

and it is likely (but not always the case) that multi-packs can offer better value.

Amazon Prime Day is only a couple of weeks away. Who knows what bargains that might bring?

• @eezytiger

Many thanks for the information. Had been keeping an eye on Amazon, noted that some of the multi-packs are currently out of stock, not uncommon now with the existing world supply situation with respect to electronic devices/components.

Wonder if you or any of the community members have any experience with the Tado refurbished items, certainly can be a big saving? Perhaps slightly worrying that they seem to be very readily available, all devices, a lot of returns or failures!

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    This is a late response but…

Are you in the uk? If so then the new wireless receiver is different from the old extension kit - it doesn’t have Opentherm/e bus support. The EU version does. You either need that to control the boiler or a wired thermostat.

The wireless temperature sensor is essentially the same as the wired/wireless thermostat (same thing) but with the connections removed so it can’t be wired to the boiler.

TRVs are generally cheaper in multi packs - prime day is here and looks like they’re available fairly cheaply at the moment.

I don’t have any experience with Tado refurbished items but I’m going to go out on a limb here and say they’re fine. Can’t guarantee it though.
  • @johnnyp78

Thank you for the response, much appreciated.

Yes in UK, Northern Ireland, oil fired central heating.

With the stat starter kit I purchased to try out before expanding, have experienced a number of issues. Can not successfully connect the smart radiator stat to my (very old) Danfoss TRV's either with the adapters provided or with a number of third party adapters I have tried, don't wish to go to the trouble/expense of replacing the TRV bodies at present which may be the only solution with any replacement make of smart TRV..

Found that radiator stat connectivity to the internet bridge was unreliable even at relatively short range, don't like the reliance on internet connectivity for inter-device communication, would prefer a separate device network.

Decided to return the kit within the 30 day purchase warranty period for a refund with the intention of trying another smart heating brand later.

On the positive side, return logistics (Tado Shop) was very easy, staff very prompt to respond and very helpful, hopefully will receive a full refund when kit return is verified.

• johnnyp78
    johnnyp78 ✭✭✭
    There might be a Matter upgrade coming later this year or next that should in theory help with the connectivity issue. Wouldn’t hold my breath though.