‘Wet’ TRV

Options
Hi all,

So far I have fitted 2 trv’s without problem and they have all been dry. However when I started to unscrew the one in the family room it was leaking and had I completely unscrewed it there would have been a water flow.

So I am guessing this rad has been set up differently to the others ? Does anyone with plumbing knowledge know what I need to add in order to make it dry as the others are so that I can add a Tado trv (as I am guessing it can’t be installed in a wet environment !)

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds as though the valve itself has leaked and needs replacing.

• Thanks Sam, it doesn’t leak as long as the trv is screwed on but as soon as I start to unscrew the trv then it flows strongly until I tighten it up again.
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Chris

You will remember when you did the first two TRVs that there is a pin which moves up and down due to it sitting on a plug of wax. That part of the TRV can leak around the base of the pin. You may have noticed some rust there on those you have done. I cannot think of any other reason than that and, if so, it would require the valve body to be replaced. There are two ways of doing that viz drain down the system and replace or using a pipe freezing kit.

• Thanks for your help guys .. So in terms of resolving the issue, apart from a pipe freezing kit I essentially need to drain the systems down and replace the valve.

Thanks

Chris

• JamesA
    Options
    I’ve the same problem with a couple of my radiators with Tado TRVs attached. Wondering if they’re applying too much pressure on the valve when closing. Going to need new valves fitting and hoping the others don’t fail too.