Newbie help, TRV and no thermostat at home

Options
Good Day,

After watching a video and having my mind blown at what a trv actually does I installed one trv yesterday and happy with how everything seems to work.

Thinking about the house as a whole. I’m a little stumped (as all this is very new to me)

At home we have a combi boiler that runs on a programmable timer, no thermostat and radiators have old trv’s apart from one in the hall.

Am I right I’m thinking that if I get tado trv’s for all the radiators I will need to leave the hall one as it is? (No trv)
And if this is the case, can I set this hall radiator to its absolute minimum and then use the trv’s to keep each room comfortable?
My limited understanding at the moment is the hall radiator will remain on all the time the central heating system is on and trying to figure out what is the best energy saving solution for what we have currently at home.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I did glance through the boards as I guess this has cropped up before but I couldn’t see anything after a quick scroll.

Ryan

Comments

• andreig1978
    Options

Hi Ryan,

A simple TRV just closes the valve of the radiator when the temperature set-point for that room is reached.

In a distributed system like Tado, it can also announce that the respective room requires heating and thus can trigger the boiler to fire. On the same page, if none of the TRVs ask for heat the boiler is stopped.

The issue (in my opinion) of your system is that the boiler is always on - if you install TRVs in every room at some point they will close all radiators and the boiler will overheat (because there is no consumer for the produced heat). Leaving one radiator without a TRV will only overheat that particular area of your home.

I think from an energy saving PoV it would be optimal to also install a Smart Thermostat that would control your boiler based on whether there is a need for heat or no.

Best,

Andrei

• Vertigo
    Options

The issue (in my opinion) of your system is that the boiler is always on - if you install TRVs in every room at some point they will close all radiators and the boiler will overheat (because there is no consumer for the produced heat)

That would be the case now too with mechanical TRVs, those will all eventually close too, especially if the boiler is always on. I assume he has a bypass valve or the system is somehow designed to work like that. Seems weird and not very efficient though, I agree with that.

• Soulfood
    Options
    Thanks for your help Andrei & Vertigo