Radiator's Making A Banging type noise.

I have put two thermostats in my home, living room and kitchen, all was well until it start with an almighty racket coming from both radiators, a very loud vibrating sound which stops when I take the tado off and put the original thermostats back one. Any ideas why?

Best Answer

• GreenBaby
    GreenBaby
    Answer ✓

Hi

I have the same problem. Turns out that the old thermostats was not working at all. Acting like a valve the temperature and water flow was always the same.

With the Tado on, the temperature of the radiator is going up and down in temperature and thereby there are a volume changes. The old wall hangings is not protected by rubber or softer material, so the temperature induced extraction and retractions makes a racket as it goes in steps when the metal to metal friction is over won.

Answers

• Hi @GreenBaby
    How did you deal with this disturbing noise ? I’m facing the same issue especially in my bedroom. I tried to remove the 3 lateral covers, create a space between the top of the radiator and the locker (to secure without metal/metal contact), reduce the shift between high and low temperature, without any results.
    Thanks for your help.
  • After 2 months of investigation, I realized yesterday that, in my home, this bang bang comes from the hose clamp which contraints dilatation and retraction of the pipe. Some sections of my heating circuit are visible, and they are made of copper pipe (instead of PE plastics for non visible sections). I first loosen thoses hose clamp, and the noise disappeared !! So I added a rubber band between the hose clamps and the pipes. I hope it will help you.
  • Do you have a picture on where you adjusted the system? I may have the same issue. Thanks

• Pictures here -> https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwtg0y0rq3v31ak/AADzNFSdNCmD3zfX2lJgQdhba?dl=0
  • I have two valves (out of 12) that make very loud knocking/banging noises from time to time. One is in my office – and really disturbs my work calls. I don’t have copper pipe – I have 10mm plastic pipes going into the boiler. Please help!

• GazzaH
    GazzaH
    edited April 2023

Hello, are the old TRV bodies 2-way or one-way? If they are one-way then they might be on the wrong end of the radiator, when the valves try to close against the water flowing backwards, they can vibrate.

If your old TRV's were not working and not closing then they wouldn't have made the noise.

Alternatively, if the boiler or system central heating pump is non-modulating then when the last TRV or SRV closes then there could be a bang if the full pump pressure is behind one valve when it closes.

• I have discovered a foolproof method of removing all noises from my radiators......I have removed all my tado° SRT's and re-fitted all my original TRV's.........(That's my first step towards the complete removal of my tado° system by end of April) My system currently comprises of the following:

1 x Internet Bridge......1 x Wireless Receiver with O/T......1 x Wireless Thermostat.......1 x Wireless Temperature Sensor