child proof fixation of the radiator thermostat

Options

The radiotor thermostat comes loose way to easy. My 14 months old kid had it loose in no time. What is the point of having a child protection mode in the software, if the hardware is not child proof.

2 votes

Active · Last Updated

Comments

• greig
    Options
    My kid also removes the Tado thermostat from fitting. He removes the thermostat then removes the Batteries. Any suggestions on how to make this child safe. As I don’t want him sucking/eating a battery. Or damaging the thermostat.
    I purchased and installed the radiator thermostat as he kept adjusting temperature on old manual thermostat. The child lock feature was what appealed to me.
    I have already invested in Tado system for the boiler controls etc so really don’t want to have to find a new system.
    Any recommendation on how to make this child safe. As my current fix of removing the thermostat when he is in his room is not sustainable.
    Gaffa tape is an option. Or maybe I could drill a screw to secure the release mechanism.
  • johnnyp78
    Options
    The Tado trv needs to come off easily so you can change the batteries. Sounds like in both your cases you’d be better off having the trv in some kind of cage and then a wireless temp sensor on the wall where your kids couldn’t get to it.
  • greig
    Options
    It comes off too easy. Appreciate that access to the the batteries is required. But there is fine line between making something that an “adult” can remove easily and something an “enfant” can remove easily.
    There are plenty of gadgets out there that can lend design ideas for child safe battery access.
  • rafm5
    rafm5 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options

In fact, it's quite easy to remove any valve head (smart or not) not just tado°, unscrew the cap and voila!

• luteijn
    Options
    At least for the screw part you usually need some strenght, or even a wrench, and turn it round and round. Tado just needs to be turned a couple of degrees, and it's loose.
    There is an How-to here somewhere that shows a good way of adding a screw to secure the tado knob's parts.
  • My child has on several occasions untightened the valve head and left it sitting on but not secured to the mount. The valve head then raises itself up and down on the mount as opposed to controlling the flow through the valve.

Its a shame that there isn’t a hardware solution (grub screw etc) to temporarily secure the valve head in place. Also disappointed that even with energy IQ the lack of control of temperature vs set point and valve position does not get caught as an error. Basic functionality with easy software implementation that I would have expected to be included. Especially paying for energy IQ.
  • mayurmacwan
    Options

Wow, I see myself writting all of the above posts. My 14 months son also removes the unit in less than 5 seconds. In fact that is the first thing he does as soon as he enters any room in the house now that he knows how to do it. I may have to return a very good functional product, just because it doesn't sit tight on its base!

• Quite a disappointment with how loose the thermostat head comes off. It even comes off when I move my curtains let alone child and other people inaccurate handling. You have to be very precise in turning the right part of the head otherwise it will come off. When it comes off the heating runs uncontrolled. Tado reps, is this that hard to fix?
  • samd
    samd ✭✭✭
    Options

Curtains removing the head! I must say that tolerances must have changed over the years. I have to take a good strong grip on all mine and put in a fair amount of effort to turn them.

• GrayDav4276
    GrayDav4276 ✭✭✭
    Options
    If your curtains can remove the tado SRT....then are you sure that you have used an appropriate adapter.....??🤔