Vaillant Ecotec Pro with eBus and weather-compensated control

vmguru
vmguru
edited January 2023 in General Questions & Topics

I was reading the manuals for the boiler and wanted to double check If I can use a Tado with eBUS connection rather than RT which is simply on and off. I have Hive at the moment I would only change if I can use ebus connection. Can I use both ebus and outside sensor together?

I think the problem with Tado they now have removed ebus? which I think is a crazy move by Tado this dumbs down the thermostat same as any other.

What kind of controls does Tado give you with ebus controls within the app can you see flow temperatures and modulation data etc do you have controls and settings for tweaking?

Comments

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    If you have a combi then you can adjust hot water temperature. You also get modulation on the flow temperature chosen. You get no other technical data, or ability to tweak anything else unfortunately.

With a Vaillant you will need to set a maximum flow temperature you want in the boiler, else Tado can be requesting 75oC. One con, is that you cannot (and Tado say they can’t either) set a minimum flow. For larger boilers this isn’t great as you can end up with endless cycling.

On my 938 I have limited maximum central heating power to just 6kw, so the boiler doesn’t try and ramp up to 10-15kw and overshoot 35oC minimum flow temperature within seconds.
  • @gary333 thanks for your response, my combi Vaillant ecotech pro 28 is currently set at 45c for hot water and 60c flow temperature. 60c seem to be lowest I can go whilst we in sub zero temperatures however I do normally have the boiler flow at 50c when the weather is above 7c does this mean I will have no ability to control the flow temperature ranges once I move over to ebus from RT?

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    You can still control the maximum flow in the same screen on the boiler, what you can’t do is select the range it follows, so if you wanted 45-60oC you couldn’t as Tado decides what it wants to use.

On mine when a room tile is showing 1 flame Tado might only be requesting 35oC which is usually pointless on my system. I’d rather I could set min of 40oC but alass no cigar.
  • gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    Hot water can be selected from OFF then 30-65oC within the app too.
  • Just had a look at the Tado website its a 8-12 business days wait for for the EU version of this thermostat  and twice the price compared to Screwfix currently on special offer at £99 however its non ebus and its £199 for the ebus only available via Tado directly not which isn't good with a 8-12 days wait!!!!

• Montage
    Montage ✭✭✭

Probably simplest to add the WC sensor and see how that goes.

• gary333
    gary333 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Or just use the wired kit, that’s what I use on my combi.
  • Hi gary333

i have a Vaillant ecotecplus838, (2 yrs old) and have just setup ebus to my Tado ext box and wireless smart thermostat and it works.

ide like to reduce my “heating power” too, how did you set yours to 6kW please?