What setup do I need?

I've spoken to tado to ask about compatilibity and have received different answers each time which doesn't fill me with confidence.

Just moved into a new build and the set up is:
- Logic esp1 30 combi boiler
- 2X wired TPone M thermostats (one upstairs and one downstairs) theyre two separate zones (downstairs and upstairs)
- Danfoss wiring box which runs into two zone valves (I think this is what they're called)

I want the 2 thermostats replacing with tado. Apologies if I've named anything incorrectly. I installed tado in my last home which was one simple wired thermostat and would like to do it myself.

Can anyone advise what setup would work?

Answers

• Those thermostats can also control a HW cylinder, but assuming you don't have one of these with the Combi boiler. You can use a wired thermostat to replace the Danfoss thermostats. You'll need to buy the wired thermostat starter kit, plus an add-on wired thermostat.

• Thanks for the answer! That's what I assumed but was told it would be an issue because its 2 zones... Will I still be able to control each thermostat separately through one Internet bridge?
  • Yes, you will have independent control of each thermostat through the internet bridge.

The only time there's a problem with two or more zones is when you want to use a low voltage digital bus like Opentherm. Your current thermostats use 230V switching to directly control the zone valves, and the Tado thermostats will do the same.

• I have the same setup but looking to setup using Opentherm. How would this be possible?

Didn't know if I could use the EU Wireless version for downstairs, then a wired version for upstairs that will just act as on/off?

But what confused me was if once I wire up OT to the boiler and remove the room stat connection, wouldn't that stop the wired stat from working on the top floor? :/

• @CurtisB it's not possible to connect OT thermostats directly to the boiler when you have motorised zone valves. The valves require 230V to open, but OT is a low voltage system. Some manufacturers have gateways that fit in between the OT thermostats and the boiler. These units operate the high voltage valves and aggregate the low voltage commands sent to the boiler. However, none of these units are compatible with Tado.

OT will adjust the flow water temperature based on demand. You can do this manually by using the dial on the boiler front. Lower flow temperatures should still heat your home in autumn/spring. Or you could look at installing an external weather compensation device, which will adjust the flow temperature based on the local weather.

• Darn! Tado support told me to buy a wireless kit and a wired addon on to get it all setup, so guess i'll be returning that! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Looks like I might just have to bin off the idea of OT and just stick to On/Off. As it seems the only way to get OT would be to redo everything from scratch and I don't really fancy doing that 😅

• @CurtisB I believe the kit Tado recommended you to purchase will only work for 230V relay control. Be interesting to see what instructions they provide for setup.

OT is a considerable improvement over an old mechanical thermostat, but it's only marginally better than a TPI thermostat USING ON/off control. Mechanical thermostats are inefficient because there's no anticipation of reaching the target temperature, hence they cannot maintain a constant room temperature. The TPI algorithms used in smart thermostats are calculating the heat demand, so they normally maintain a constant temperature, similar to OT.

• They came back to me saying

"The Wired Smart Thermostat are currently controlling your heating. So you would basically have to replace the upstairs thermostats and wire the Wireless Receiver directly to the boiler. The instructions in the tado° app wil show you how to do this, for any additional configuration you might need help from a professional. The wiring for the downstairs heating zone would have to be disabled/removed."

• No mention of OT or Relay operation and response is a bit ambiguous.

• WallyG1
    WallyG1
    edited January 30
    @GrilledCheese2 I have a similar setup too @Derekmat the downstairs thermostat is the main one that controls the downstairs zone and HW Cylinder (TPone-m), the thermostat upstairs (Tpone-b) controls the heating upstairs. I have replaced the upstairs ones and fitted the smart radiator thermostats through. Do you know what settings if any I need to changed to the thermostat downstairs, that controls the downstairs radiators and the hot water, or do the radiator thermostats bypass it?

Hope this makes sense.